Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Hub and streaming

This is a discussion on Sky Hub and streaming within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, I'm currently with UPC (Ireland) and have the Cisco EPC3925 broadband router and while I may get a ...

kernboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Sky Hub and streaming

Hi All,

I'm currently with UPC (Ireland) and have the Cisco EPC3925 broadband router and while I may get a 120MB line I'm thinking of moving to Sky but want to check something out first.

Apart from the fact the current router keeps dropping the WiFi signal I've found it won't play nice with my PC when I want to stream media to my Smart TV.
      My PC is wired (CAT6) directly to the router while my TV connects via a WiFi dongel. I've recently found out the Cisco EPC3925 can't/won't traverse the two, the TV won't pick up the PC but when I use WiFi on the PC the TV can suddenly see it (also didn't see it when I ran a cable from the TV to the Router, cable checked out okay so not sure what's going on there).

Can anyone tell me if they've had success with a design like this with the Sky Hub device ?

Another major factor in my decision to go to Sky will be based on adding a NAS box into the mix (recently lost a 3TB disk so NAS with RAID will protect that), will a NAS box wired to the Sky Hub unit be able to stream via Wifi to the TV or do I need to just wire in the TV as well (Royal pain in the you know what because of where everything is in the house.) ?

Any other advice or help would be great.

Thanks
      Kevin

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Sky Hub and streaming

Looking at the specifications for your Cisco router I can't tell whether it is a WiFi g or a WiFi n router.

Cisco EPC3925 Wireless Residential Gateway Specs - CNET

The importance of this is to establish what your router is capable of performance wise.

A WiFi n router has a stronger signal than WiFi g and generally they are better at streaming video content too.

If your TV is too far from the router you might be better off looking into an Ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs.

A few things to check over, if you can, would be:

• Use something like inSSIDer to establish how good the signal is where the TV is located
      • Check the potential connection speed of both your Cisco and the TV and look at the table here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...on-speeds.html
      • If you have a Laptop, are you able to stream content from YouTube to it where the TV is located? Can you do the same with your TV?
      • Are there a lot of other WiFi routers near where you are? There may be one or two which are also using the same channels and bust streaming date as well. inSSIDer can help with this information

The Sky Hub SR101 and Sky Hub SR102 are both WiFi n routers capable of working at up to 144mbps. Yes you can stream video content quite well, but probably not full Blu-ray quality.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

kernboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's an N router alright but performance isn't really the issue, the router is maybe 4 meters from the TV in a different room and works fine with Netflix and Youtube over WiFi.
      The TV will pick up the PC as a media server but only if the PC and TV are connected to the router via Wifi, if the PC is wired the TV doesn't see it.
      The router can't deal with the PC wired and the TV connected via WiFi, seems to be a known issue with it.

I just want to make sure the Sky Hub router won't have the same issue but straight away from looking at a quick review of the SR102 it doesn't have gig Ethernet which seems a little pointless.

Downgrading from a 120MB line to an 8MB line at most was only going to be a runner if the Sky hub would work nice with wired and wifi signals but if the newest sky hub is only a 10/100 router while I have CAT6 then there's little point in moving to Sky.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

No problem.

Take a look with inSSIDer if you can though. My preference was v2: inSSIDer 2

It shows a little more information about the channels and WiFi speed. The signal strength is very important. If it is too weak where your TV is you should consider relocating the router or an alternative option.

The behaviour that you are describing isn't good. It sounds like WiFi Isolation has been enabled, but then the TV wouldn't be able to see anything over WiFi, except the Internet.

My suggestion would be to look for your own router. Many people on all the UK providers do this already, Sky is no different other than they don't like people doing it on their Fibre connections. However this hasn't stopped people .

Some of the latest routers are much better than what any ISP will offer, but will set you back between 100-250. 300-450mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1.3gbps and higher are available on the 5GHz band, but only if you have something capable of utilising the speeds. Most, if not all, TVs won't. 1Gbit LAN is common for the high end routers now. Hopefully the next Sky Hub will have all these features, but we still need to wait to find out.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.