Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Hub SR102 Modd

This is a discussion on Sky Hub SR102 Modd within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've just stumbled upon this view on youtube, where a guy does a modd to his Sky Hub SR102 to ...

IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Lightbulb Sky Hub SR102 Modd

I've just stumbled upon this view on youtube, where a guy does a modd to his Sky Hub SR102 to get a much better Wi-Fi signal range.

Has anybody done any physical modification to their own Sky Hub SR102?

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 21.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky Hub SR102 Modd

Yes, I converted mine into a doorstop, works really well!

IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Yes, I converted mine into a doorstop, works really well!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

This video has been posted on the forum a few times already. We removed the first few but let the last one remain.

This video needs to come with a major health warning. The guy in the video talks a lot of <can't post that word> and really talks a lot out of his rear end, comparing a modified router to an unmodified router for a start.

Apart for the legal reasons for signal strengths being what they are, the modifications suggested could be lethal in the wrong hands. Break those plastic posts which hold the PSU in place and stick a copper shield next to it and you are asking to kill someone IMHO. I haven't measured the power in the capacitors, but anything over 24vDC is considered dangerous in some trades, requiring the use of thick rubber gloves (I kid you not).

Please remember that small children have small fingers. Sky will have tested and gained approval for the product that they manufacture. If you modify it in the way prescribed in the video, you had better have suitable knowledge before you attempt it in order to keep everyone safe in your home.

SkyUser, the owners or the moderating staff, cannot be held responsible for the actions of anyone using this method to modify their Sky Hub router. This advice is not to do this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Cyberwiccan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dartford
      Broadband ISP: Virginmedia
      Router: AirPort Extreme A1521
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

First, I completely understand and agree with the safety warning and not arguing in any way with that. While I do think the PSU should <edit> have been shielded <edit> , I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to be doing that themselves.
      What I do question is why the video is being called out for promoting "<>", as most of what he said made sense?
      Unless you were referring to a different video?
      Last edited by Cyberwiccan; 30-10-14 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Ok, let's tear some of the video apart...

The person who made the video claims to have qualification. Well if he has such esteemed qualifications why isn't he using them to design the best router going? Perhaps he could work for a major company or as a freelance. Of course we don't see anything to back up his claim nor would we know just how good they actually are. Besides, qualifications aren't the complete solution.

Comments about costs... Sorry, but I may not always agree with Sky's reasons but I personally don't have the information in front of me as to why Sky went for the specific components that they are using. Perhaps it is in relation to the recent statement from Sky about being able to recycle their products or perhaps that the components are known to be reliable enough to be used.

Yes shielding the PSU would be a good idea. I don't know why Sky missed that one. Perhaps the extra combined weight of the the routers would have made the transporting of the product more costly in a competitive business.

Signal strength is a major issue. Unfortunately there are British and European Rules and Regulations which limit this. Failure to comply with these rules and regulations will hinder the ability to produce the product. Having a signal so strong that it wipes out the signal of a router 20 doors away is going to cause problems.

The comparison of the signal strength of the Sky Hub to the of his VM router sounds convincing. Just look again though. He's comparing an unmodified SR102 to his modified VM router. How about I compare a 1 watt CB Radio connected to a Mag Mount with a Radio Ham's 100w Transceiver with a 50m aerial in the garden. I wonder which one will be able to chat with South Africa? Of course I could get a booster and large aerial for the CB, but booster's aren't legal in the UK. Also with such a setup you are likely to seriously wipe out your neighbour's Freeview TV every time you key up. Of course you'd only be talking to yourself anyway, unless you happen to have a friend many miles away with a similar setup, you'll be talking to yourself.

What I do not know is how using these larger aerials would affect the lifespan of the modified Sky Hub. Would the extra stress cause the router to burn out before it's time? Could your laptop or other device handle the change in the signal strength? Don't forget that it too will need to respond to the router.

Finally the one which worries me the most...

The PSU is held in place with small plastic lugs. These are very easily broken. If the PSU were to make contact with the copper shielding, could you guarantee that it would not be a fire risk? Who is liable? Certainly BSkyB and SkyUser can't be held responsible. Is someone going to track down the YouTube poster and take him to court?

I don't know the power specs of the capacitors being used, but I am aware of the potential damage that they could do.

I'm sorry, but there are too many reasons for not doing what this person is advocating.

Of course if someone with more suitable product knowledge wishes to produce a suitable set of counter comments, please do.

Thanks

Ok, I see your point and I'll leave it there, but I still can't help thinking we were watching two different videos

Thanks

Sorry, in this instance I do need to consider the legal ramifications. Personally speaking the training which I have had when I became a PADI OWSI made things quite clear on the potential of Legal Liability. The work I have done is sufficient for any Barrister to say I should know better. My own attempts to look inside the SR101 showed me how delicate the plugs are. Also the communications I had with Netgear also helped with my previous lack of knowledge about WiFi signal strength.

Sure I don't know everything, but basically there are too many red flags that point to avoiding this and advising people to do likewise.

So no worries Cyberwiccan.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Cyberwiccan (30-10-14)

Thanks

Now that is a qualification I am impressed with I have a friend who is PADI OWSI qualified and saw the amount of work involved. Kudos
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberwiccan View Post
      Now that is a qualification I am impressed with I have a friend who is PADI OWSI qualified and saw the amount of work involved. Kudos
      lol - No worries. I'm a lapsed member at the moment though. I'm also BSAC qualified (Advanced Diver & Open Water Instructor) and did the cross over from BSAC to PADI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast