Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Sagem F@ST2504n Wi-Fi Problem

This is a discussion on Sagem F@ST2504n Wi-Fi Problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; While I'm waiting for my new Sky Hub to be delivered. I decided to replace all the current microfilters, power ...

IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sagem F@ST2504n Wi-Fi Problem

While I'm waiting for my new Sky Hub to be delivered. I decided to replace all the current microfilters, power supply, ADSL cable and the ethernet cable to see if that will make any difference. As I have a bunch of spares anyway. I was just wondering if it's possible that a faulty power supply could interfere with the Wi-Fi signal of my Sagemcom router?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IceGuyver View Post
      ... I was just wondering if it's possible that a faulty power supply could interfere with the Wi-Fi signal of my Sagemcom router?
      This is always possible. Obviously if the router's PSU is faulty then see if it can be changed. It might be alright to temporarily use a PSU from another router if it has the same power output as the Sagem 2504N.

If the PSU is for another device then I would suggest unplugging it for a suitable period to see if that fixes things.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      This is always possible. Obviously if the router's PSU is faulty then see if it can be changed. It might be alright to temporarily use a PSU from another router if it has the same power output as the Sagem 2504N.

If the PSU is for another device then I would suggest unplugging it for a suitable period to see if that fixes things.
      I've got a spare PSU from Sky a few years ago, and it didn't seem to fix the problem.

Thanks

That suggests that the PSU isn't the cause, unless both PSUs are faulty.

Has the new SR102 arrived now? How is it performing?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

That suggests that the PSU isn't the cause, unless both PSUs are faulty.
      Yeah, I figured that the Sagemcom is more or less dead...

Has the new SR102 arrived now? How is it performing?
      I've actually had it for about a week now, and so far it working perfectly. I'm able to get a good Wi-Fi signal with every portable device in my semi-detached house. I have the SR102 in my room, which is at the top floor of my house. Despite that I'm still able to get a good Wi-Fi signal at the ground floor of my house. The problem my parent's experience with the Wi-Fi connection is now a thing of the past. However my dad did experience a little problem while watching youtube videos on his SGT 3 7.0, but that maybe due to the power saving feature of SR102.

I do have one question about the SR102. I tend to turn off my router when everybody goes to sleep, is it safe to do so with the SR102?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think Scubbie will agree, switching off the router is not a good idea. It can cause problems with DLM and continually switching the unit off and on frequently is liable to shorten its life. Maybe this is what happened to your Sagem?
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

IceGuyver (06-11-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think Scubbie will agree, switching off the router is not a good idea. It can cause problems with DLM and continually switching the unit off and on frequently is liable to shorten its life. Maybe this is what happened to your Sagem?
      Thanks for the quick reply.

The only reason I'm asking this is because in the past I've always switched off my router when everybody goes to sleep. As I've always thought it was basic common sense to switch of a electrical device when nobody is using it.

I did this when I 1st got the Netgear router from Sky and the Sagemcom router too. I managed to get 6 years use from the 1st Gen Netgear router, which problem died because of all the power outages in my area. I got around 3 yearish use from my Sagemcom router, and I think it maybe damaged due to power outage too.

I think this time I will leave my Sky Hub SR102 on all the time now, except when we leave for a family holiday.

Thanks

In an attempt to reassure you, I've not seen any reports to date suggesting that any Sky Router has been the source of a fire at home. Of course I would always err on the side of caution and highly recommend that any electrical device is placed in a position so that an heat it creates can be dispersed naturally if that is how it is designed.

DLM runs 24/7 on both ADSL and Fibre connections. If it sees an issue then it will adjust the line speed to accommodate the issue. This means that if there is a problem or DLM thinks there is a problem, the line speed will be decreased.

Any speed increase is always managed overnight. Fibre (not for you yet) can currently take at least 2 weeks to recover, so this is even more important.

If the router is off then how can it increase the speed?

As for the electrical components in the routers, the advice I've picked up from other members on this forum and pass on to others is that repeated power cycles (i.e switching on/off the router) and starting it from cold can stress the electrical components over a period of time. It is generally accepted that it is best to leave the things on 24/7/52.

I would also highly recommend the use of Surge Protected sockets if this is possible.

In my own case I have some IP Cameras and a couple of NAS units. Since I can access these remotely, it is practical for me to leave my router and them on all the time. The IP Cameras proved to be a good piece of mind whilst I was away recently as I could quickly check that everything was fine at home. I also set them up so that I'd receive an email should there be any movement on them. During one particular day I received quite a few emails due to light changes (cloud vs sun), but at least I knew they worked.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

IceGuyver (07-11-14)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12