Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree5Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme
    • 1 Post By Scubbie
    • 1 Post By Bazzie
    • 1 Post By RUNITDIRECT
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Interesting Sky Hub SR101 & SR102 Videos...

This is a discussion on Interesting Sky Hub SR101 & SR102 Videos... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, I am new here & have recently joined Sky - my TV is installed but the telephone/internet on ...

Bazzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Interesting Sky Hub SR101 & SR102 Videos...

Hi All,

I am new here & have recently joined Sky - my TV is installed but the telephone/internet on non-fibre unlimited broadband is due to get active within the next 8 days. Please be informed, I am a noob at many things technical & nowhere near as savvy of you guys so sometimes it is hard for me to explain things or convey things in the best/correct proper way!

In preparation of getting ready for the SKy BB, I went on the SKY Forum & other places only to find out how there seemed to be so many complaints about how very bad the Sky Hubs are on performance with so many issues. The reviews were not very complimentary either.

I understand that one has to use the Sky Hub & am worried that I may suffer the same fate as others so went about looking at possible reasons why. I came across the two Video's on You Tube from an engineer who took apart the SR101 & SR102's & he was not at all impressed.

He identified the antenna's as being of very poor quality & made some modifications by installing external ones (something I certainly could not do!) but he also found that the internal Power Supply Boards were not shielded & were causing quite a fair bit of RF interference & drops outs to connections which he observed/measured before & after. His solution was to make a simple RF shield from copper & aluminium foil which seemed to greatly improve matters.

I thought this might be of interest to all you technical people & maybe help some others out - either way, I would like to know what folks here think if this RF Shield might be worth putting in?

Many Thanks!
      Bazzie!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Interesting Sky Hub SR101 & SR102 Videos...

These videos have been posted on the forum before, but it does no harm to post them again. I must say I would have been more impressed if he had shown a test for RF after he made the shielding. As it is we just have to take his word for it.

Should you do it yourself? That is up to you, if you feel confident enough go ahead, but remember opening the router will void the warranty. If I were you I think I would wait and see how the Hub performs before butchering it.
      Bazzie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

They were indeed posted previously and removed on safety grounds.

Personally I believe that the person who put this together is a danger to everyone. The comments by the person who posted the videos are stupid and his so-called degree in electronics shows contempt towards the UK's Radio Communications Laws. What qualifications are they any way? Anyone can say that they have such qualifications.

He fails to compare like-for-like by comparing his modified router with the Sky Hub. Of course the bigger aerials will send out a stronger signal, but there is actually a maximum signal strength that WiFi can use. Any stronger and you could find someone from Ofcom knocking on your door if you are interfering with other people and get reported. Also having the wrong aerial fitted can burn out the electronics faster.

Since both Sky Hubs have their PSU inside the case and you are asked to put copper tape quite near the electronics, please think very carefully about the prospect of electrocutions and fires. Should a household fire happen and it is proved that the modified router was the source, you may have a problem with any claim.

Currently Sky will send you a replacement Sky Hub SR102 for 75 +6.95 postage.

Please please please, anyone who wishes to copy the processes mentioned in the above YouTube videos, you do so entirely at your own risk. This Forum, the forum staff and the forum owners cannot be held liable should you wish to modify your routers in this way.
      markm9 likes this.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Perhaps if Sky offered better routers in the first place, he wouldn't need to do this?

He is right in everything he says about how bad and how out of date Sky routers are. Sky are well and truly the bottom of the pile for their router quality.

Thanks

At the time when the SR101 was launched the specs faired favourably with the main competitors.

Unfortunately Sky's User Interface is highly restrictive and the competitors released better routers soon after. Of course non-ISP routers were often far better when the SR101 was launched and Sky had an official policy of not allowing non-Sky routers on their network.

The SR102 offers very little on top of the SR101 and really was an opportunity for Sky to get something much better for their customers.

The latest routers from the main competitors now offer access to the 5GHz band, much faster LAN and WLAN connection speeds and better controls for those who have the technical know how.

However there are legal restrictions on signal strength for WiFi. I learned this through the Netgear chats. It is one reason why the USA firmware is different to the rest of the world.

Broadcasting on the 5GHz channels needs to take into account any local Radar signals. You can't just broadcast on the 5GHz channels without taking this into account. Channels 52-64, 100-140 and 149-165 are the worse for this.

As for using unsuitable aerials and burning out electrical circuits, this comes from some limited experience of using a CB some years ago. I'm not sure about the specs of the aerials suggested, but anyone who has swared in a CB aerial will have some idea of the consequences of connecting up the wrong aerial.

The electronics worries me a lot more though. I have had training in the past to fix electronic and electro-mechanical equipment. I worked on the equipment for several years. I loved it when I had to charge customers what was then a lot of money to repair things where someone had tampered with the kit. Sure this was in the work environment, but some of the things I saw made me really worry for their lives.

Modifying the Sky Hub SR101 and SR102 in the manner prescribed by this individual could be lethal in the wrong hands.

Why have Sky used such "cheap" components? Perhaps because they are in the business of producing a product for over 4 million customers, need to consider legal obligations such as liability issues and conformance certification. The person who posted these videos has no such compunction.

To date I haven't heard of any Sky routers causing house fires, but I'm sure that someone would find an example somewhere if they looked hard enough. However if someone modifies their Sky router in the manner prescribed in the above video, IMHO they are putting the lives of everyone in their home at risk, perhaps even their neighbours.

There was an issue of risk of fire from some early BTO Modems. Several household fires were linked to the Modems catching fire from their own heat. BTO had to replace them all.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Bazzie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Hi All (especially Mods!)

Thank you for taking the time to respond - apologies if my posting the thread has caused issues - being a total novice about electronics, I thought I would bring the video's to the attention of all the knowledgeable folks here in case they provided some meaningful input as well as get second opinions since so many people have complained about poor signal quality & drop outs with the Sky Hub. I just did not want to trust videos off from You Tube purely as I am ignorant of these things!

I would have no idea if what the chappie making the alterations was good or bad / safe or unsafe which I why I posted them - to seek further advice - very glad I did so as well now!! There is no way, I would ever make any modification by myself - my thoughts were that if the experts here thought it might eliminate the said issues, then I may consider going to a qualified electronics engineer to have it done but there is no way I would consider any such thing now based on risks highlighted!

I will be seeking advice from the experts here on other options instead! May I ask, does anyone have an idea when Sky might be introducing a newer, better router?

Thanks & apologies if my posting the video's has done more harm than good,

Bazzie!
      Scubbie likes this.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Actually he's done a good job there, I'd want to know if any of the metal components on the top of the PSU were hot as we say as that could be an issue. The main issue is fire risk, would I risk my home on a DIY mod to a router? No. It's obvious that router has been built down to a cost sadly & the designers will not be at fault there. I think I would be happier if the shielding was using the correct materials. As for the antenna's, a non issue IMO. Having been involved with a fair few external wireless LAN setups you can get some seriously strong aerials! To be fair he does say at own risk a few times.
      Scubbie likes this.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Hello Bazzie,

Please note that my comments were not directed at yourself, they were firmly directed at the person who posted the videos on YouTube.

There were 3 others if memory serves me correctly who posted the first video before you. Those posts were removed following some discussions between the mods and not replaced on safety grounds.

I know from when I used to use a CB that a good whip/aerial that is set up correctly resolves many issues. Sure there are some good aerials out there, but would putting such large aerials on a router which isn't designed for them be flawed? IMHO yes it is flawed and the long term usage could very well cause the router's electrical components to fail sooner.

I don't have any details of what Sky's next router will look like or what the specifications will be at this time. Since Sky are looking to launch an FTTP based product in a couple of places within the next 12 months, I would hope that they are at an advanced stage of development and that the router will be capable of supporting 1Gbit LAN and hopefully >1Gbit WiFi speeds over both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Looking at the most recent routers from ASUS and Netgear, there appears to be a return to having external aerials. This would be interesting and combined with an internal power supply (as in the SR101 & SR102) the next Sky router could be quite unique.

Sadly (someone help me here please!!!) Sky have plugged a lot of their leaks over the past few years. We did get pictures of what the SR101 might of looked like over a year before it was tested. Your secret's safe with us
      Bazzie likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just grabbed a minute to watch the second video. I wouldn't do that one in a million years! Electrical tape will turn to a sticky mess if there is any heat in there which with an inbuilt PSU I would guess there is. Also, a point on antenna's. Years ago (circa 2000) there weren't many wireless devices. Now we have them everywhere, there are only a select number of channels so I would guess they are now designed to actually have limited range. I had to chuckle when a mate from where I used to work called me one day. They had a call from a nearby hospital saying they could see (not access, it was encrypted) a wireless link we had setup some 500 metres away!! Thankfully they ditched it all in favour of the fibre backbone they should have got in the first place!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.