Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Turning the SR102 into a modem only

This is a discussion on Turning the SR102 into a modem only within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey all, I have been looking around for a little bit to see if there is a way to turn ...

CookieDunne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01698
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Turning the SR102 into a modem only

Hey all,

I have been looking around for a little bit to see if there is a way to turn the SR102 to Modem only mode but from what I have saw that hasn't been implemented.

Basically I am looking to upgrade to a better router to increase my speed and wireless range so I am picking up a NetGear Nighthawk and i just want to get some confirmation I can use it before I buy it. I'm not the best with networking but I think I can just turn off the wireless AP on the Sky Hub and just connect the Nighthawk and it should be good to go, am I correct?

Sorry if you get this question a lot but hopefully someone can help me out.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Turning the SR102 into a modem only

Buy a BTO modem off of Ebay or Amazon(an unlocked one will let you see line stats), why on earth they thought that design was a good idea I'll never know.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coipu For This Useful Post:

CookieDunne (27-08-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      Buy a BTO modem off of Ebay or Amazon(an unlocked one will let you see line stats), why on earth they thought that design was a good idea I'll never know.
      Ah thanks for the help, wasn't sure if that would have worked or not but thanks for letting me know.

Quick question, does it need to be an unlocked one?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quick question, does it need to be an unlocked one?
      No it only allows you to see settings you wouldn't otherwise. Matching the modem to the equipment in your cabinet may be more useful.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Okay guys,

I have my nighthawk and my BTO modem came today so I am setting it up. Obviously its not working and I need to flash it with the latest DD-WRT firmware. I have never done this before and don't want to brick the router so is there anywhere on the forum (I searched but couldn't find) where theres an installation guide for this specific router?

Thanks

For information on installing WRT you would be better having a look at the DD-WRT site where you will find full instructions.-
      Installation - DD-WRT Wiki

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      For information on installing WRT you would be better having a look at the DD-WRT site where you will find full instructions.-
      Installation - DD-WRT Wiki
      Thanks for the reply,

I managed to flash it no problem, found a good tutorial online for it. Took me a while to actually get it to work but finally managed it. I'm not getting the speeds I was hoping for but I think I need to do some more research into the best settings for it and try and improve it.

Again, thanks for the help.

IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

I'm actually considering doing the same thing with my Sky Hub SR102. I found this video on youtube, and was wondering if it's a good idea. As I want to get a TP-Link AC750 Dual Band Archer C2 Cable Router.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceGuyver View Post
      I'm actually considering doing the same thing with my Sky Hub SR102. I found this video on youtube,.......................................... ...................................and was wondering if it's a good idea. As I want to get a TP-Link AC750 Dual Band Archer C2 Cable Router.
      I have to disagree with the video in selecting 192.168.0.2 as the address of the 2nd router. That is not a good idea. The chances are you will already have that address in use on your Sky router and plugging in the 2nd router will immediately throw up an IP conflict. It is far better selecting a high number 200 or 250 or such, as recommended in the articles on this forum in the first two threads in Asking for help
      IceGuyver likes this.

TomD

Useful Utilites

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

I might be missing something here but all I did was remove my BTO modem and connected the SR102 directly to my line and that picked up the fibre. I then turned off the wireless on the SR102 and bridged my TP link router to the SR102. I now have way superior wireless connectivity from the TPLink router which connects to the internet via the SR102. I'm thinking that, perhaps the OP wanted to do something more than that but that isn't how I read the OP (hence me saying "I might be missing something") but I certainly didn't have to faff around with DD-WRT stuff. This will not increase your broadband speed because you are still using the SR102 to connect to the internet but using the TPLink router (in my case) has massively increased my wireless speed which in turn has increased the speed that my computer connects to the internet by reducing the throttling effect of the wireless. As I say I am probably missing something which is why I ask the question. If you want to connect the Netgear router directly to the internet then I suppose DD-WRT thingy will have to sorted out but I don't know what that is, and I'm not really interested. But just using the SR102 as a modem seems a lot simpler than what has been explained in this thread, to me anyway unless, as I say, I am missing something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast