Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should I change the WAN set up?

This is a discussion on Should I change the WAN set up? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; When logged in to the Sky router, under WAN set up. Under Router Mode it is set as 'auto' in ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Should I change the WAN set up?

When logged in to the Sky router, under WAN set up. Under Router Mode it is set as 'auto' in the drop down box is ADSL only or WANoE only, are there any benefits from changing it or should I leave it as it is on auto?

Plus I used to be able to change the IPV4 Port number which is stuck on 8080, now it won't let me change it

For instance if I type in 65502 and click apply it goes back to 8080.

Web browser access normally uses the standard HTTP service port 80. For greater security, you can change the remote management web interface to a custom port by entering that number in the box provided. Choose a number between 1 and 65534, but do not use the number of any common service port.

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: Sky fibre 1
      Router: Sky sr203
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: Should I change the WAN set up?

not sure changing the router mode is a good idea but you could experiment with it and see if it does anything. as for the 8080 port number best leave it alone unless you know what your doing.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Unless you are requiring someone to enter your router settings remotely to make adjustments, there is no reason for having Remote Management enabled. For security, it should always be disabled, unless you are actually using it. Remember Remote Management and Remote Desktop are two different things.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfiebrian View Post
      Under Router Mode it is set as 'auto' in the drop down box is ADSL only or WANoE only, are there any benefits from changing it or should I leave it as it is on auto?
      The only benefit I can think of is that it might grab a connection a second or two faster after a reboot if set to the correct parameter for your connection rather than set to auto.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfiebrian View Post
      For greater security, you can change the remote management web interface to a custom port by entering that number in the box provided.
      I'd have thought about as effective as mac filtering for preventing someone trying to hack into your system i.e. pretty much pointless unless the hacker is clueless. The only real security is to turn remote management off

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

With the sagem 2504n, setting the router mode to 'ADSL only' enables the adjustment of MTU values.
      In auto, the option isn't displayed.