Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DD-WRT and SR102 Sky Hub port forwarding issues.

This is a discussion on DD-WRT and SR102 Sky Hub port forwarding issues. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, After getting the massively uninspiring new router from Sky after we were transitioned over from Be Broadband, I tried ...

escapologybb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DD-WRT and SR102 Sky Hub port forwarding issues.

Hello,

After getting the massively uninspiring new router from Sky after we were transitioned over from Be Broadband, I tried for three or four days to get some sort of bridge mode setup as I've been doing for the past number of years with Be. Much hair pulling and angry words ensued.

But yesterday I came across this life-saving post from Shonk which has me pretty much up and running, I now have my Asus RT-AC66U has the DHCP server on my network and doing all of the funky VPN stuff etc. which is great. Almost.

However I can't get port forwarding to work at all, I need to forward port 9001 from the outside world to a Raspberry Pi with the IP address 192.168.0.34 sitting behind the Asus router. Briefly, my network looks like this:

The Internetwebs -->SkyHub--->Asus RT-AC66U--->Switch--->Raspberry Pi (192.168.0.34)

SkyHub - DHCP is off and has the IP address 192.168.0.1
      Asus - DHCP is on, has the IP address 192.168.0.254 and is handing out addresses in the 192.168.0.4 - 50
      Switch - DHCP is off and has every other wired device connected to it in the house.

I first tried forwarding port 9001 from the SkyHub (192.168.0.1) to the Asus (192.168.0.254), and from there onto the Raspberry Pi (192.168.0.34) but that didn't work.

So, more in hope than expectation I tried forwarding port 9001 straight from the SkyHub (192.168.0.1) to the Raspberry Pi (192.168.0.34) but that didn't work either.

I'm at a complete loss, I've been tinkering with these things for years and never come up against a router so stubborn. Can someone please take pity on me and help me get round this problem?

I'll include a couple of screenshots of my setup just to make sure I'm not making any obvious mistakes, which at this point is entirely possible!

Thanks

Stuart

DD-WRT and  SR102 Sky Hub port forwarding issues.-advanced-routing.jpgDD-WRT and  SR102 Sky Hub port forwarding issues.-basic-setup.jpgDD-WRT and  SR102 Sky Hub port forwarding issues.-services.jpg

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: DD-WRT and SR102 Sky Hub port forwarding issues.

I think your problem is that you are running into a double NAT situation. As Shonk says in post #7 of the thread you linked, the Sky Hub should be handling the routing duties, not the Asus.

I think the only way it may work the way you want is to put the Asus in the DMZ of the Sky hub, disable the DHCP and wireless in the Hub and create a new network based on the Asus, say 192.168.1.1-254. Get an idea here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

Hold off doing anything drastic until Shonk has a chance to reply.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me, I think you're right and I'll hold off doing anything drastic because I think if Internet goes down once more my girlfriend is going to kill me!

I am not quite grasping what you mean by doing the routing, do you mean that I should have the Sky Hub doing the DHCP duties instead of the Asus?

So, to do as you've suggested it seems like the only changes I need to make from my example above is to put the Asus router in the DMZ of the Sky Hub, make sure DHCP is off on the Sky Hub and then change the IP address and DHCP range of the Asus. Does that seem about right to you?

Thanks again!

Edit: forgot to ask, is it absolutely essential to turn wireless off on the Sky Hub? I'm quadriplegic you see, and the Wi-Fi connection is the only one I have to be able to make any configuration changes. Not much plugging and unplugging going on when you can't use your arms and legs. :-)

Also, I could have somebody do lots of the cable bashing if absolutely necessary but only would rather fix this problem on my own. Well, with your help obviously!
      Last edited by escapologybb; 27-04-14 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Because quadriplegia

Thanks

So, to do as you've suggested it seems like the only changes I need to make from my example above is to put the Asus router in the DMZ of the Sky Hub, make sure DHCP is off on the Sky Hub and then change the IP address and DHCP range of the Asus. Does that seem about right to you?
      Yes, but you don't really need to turn off the DHCP. If you leave it enabled you will have 2 seperate networks, one working through the hub and one working with the Asus. It could be useful as a 'guest' network where you could give the password to friends, allowing you to keep the Asus private for your own use.

You can leave the wifi enabled on the Sky Hub if you wish. Just be sure to give the Hub and the Asus different channels to work on, as widely separated as possible, so they don't interfere with one and other..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay, I've now got the Sky and Asus running on two completely separate networks. The Sky has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and is handing out IP addresses in the 192.168.0.2-254 range. The Asus router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and is handing out IP addresses in the 192.168.1.2-50 range.

In the Sky DMZ settings I put the IP address 192.168.1.1, and got rid of any port forwarding set setup on the sky router.

In the Services area, I now have the following settings:

expand-hosts
      dhcp-option=3,192.168.0.1
      dhcp-option=6,192.168.1.1
      strict-order

Does that seem right to you? I ask because using the settings I am able to connect to the Internet when I'm connected to the Sky Wi-Fi, but not able to one unconnected to the Asus one.

Thanks

In the Sky DMZ settings I put the IP address 192.168.1.1
      No the fixed address of the Asus for the WAN must be in the range of the Hub, eg., 192.168.0.254. with the same subnet and Gateway 192.168.0.1. If it is not it will not be recognised. The LAN side of the Asus should use the 192.168.1.xxx addresses.
      Sorry I have no idea about the 'expand hosts', you would need to wait on Shonk for that.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, port forwarding is now working. I have absolutely no idea why it it is working all of a sudden, I didn't get chance to make the change you suggested but now the correct port is being passed through.

Thanks for your help, I think I'm going to leave it here and just not touch it again whilst it's working!