Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

What's The Difference Between Reset and Reboot?

This is a discussion on What's The Difference Between Reset and Reboot? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; The reason I ask is that when the internet is running slow, I log into the router and reboot, it ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What's The Difference Between Reset and Reboot?

The reason I ask is that when the internet is running slow, I log into the router and reboot, it does the trick it speeds up the internet but then it keeps cutting out intermittently and is very temperamental, until I turn off the router and computer for the night, next morning I log in and it's ok.

When I reset the router (using a pencil to hold in the button at the back of the router for 60 seconds) then I turn off the router, in the morning I have obviously got change the settings on the router itself.

Which of the two is best to do when the internet is running slow? And is there a difference between resetting and rebooting, apart from having to change the settings on the router?

2. Advertisement
      madmadski is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: What's The Difference Between Reset and Reboot?

You should not need to do either of those things, but problem described sounds a bit like a phoneline noise issue. Is there any audible crackling when you pick up the phone? Does you connection cut out when you make/receive calls?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I am of the opinion that something else is wrong.

You should not need to keep resetting or rebooting your router. It should be able to run 24/7 without any interference at all. I think that this means one of two things has gone wrong.

Either a fault has developed on your line or the router is dying.

It sounds similar to an issue I had with one router some time back but I can't recall which router to say for sure what the problem was. This makes me think it is the router.

I would give Sky a call tomorrow morning (after 8am) to see if they can do some tests to confirm where the issue is. If you are lucky you might get a replacement SR102 or SR101.

The alternative would be to purchase a secondhand router off a well known auction site.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes this happens continuously, whenever the phone goes, it cuts out, the speaker is talking then they cut out, almost like being on a mobile.

- - - Updated - - -

The alternative would be to purchase a secondhand router off a well known auction site.

I didn't think you were allowed to do this, you were only allowed to use routers that sky have provided you with. I was tempted to purchase one about 3 months back but heard that it was against Sky's t&c's and it probably wouldn't work anyhow as it wasn't provided directly by Sky

The router is newish, I got it last year.

madmadski is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Before you buy a new router test the line. If BT is your provider then do a Quiet Line Test(google it), I don't know if other providers have such facility. Also, download a program called RouterStats Lite and run it, it will allow you to monitor speeds and noise margin. Make sure you enable logging so you will have something to back you up if you need to argue with someone. I had a similar situation where the crackling on my line was so bad that I could barely hear the BT callcentre person, yet their tests came back OK. RouterStats logs helped me to make them look again and eventually send an engineer out.

Thanks

If your line is dropping when the phone rings, then it is a line fault.

Do give Sky a call first thing in the morning. Specifically state about your Internet dropping when your phone rings as this indicates a 'high resistance' fault.

With regards to routers, I was actually thinking of a Sky router, but it is worth mentioning that Sky changed their T&Cs earlier this year to accommodate the migration of ex-O2 and ex-Be broadband customers. There are plenty of guides on this forum to help you to do this.

You might want to think about a suitable WiFi n ADSL router.

If you are looking to upgrade to a Fibre product in the near future, think carefully first.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

If it is ok to purchase a router off E… then that is what I will do, can't hurt to have a spare. I never use wireless, only ethernet because I worry about the security. I did think that a hacker had somehow accessed my router that is why I regularly reboot or reset the router to stop them.

Thanks

Basically the caveat "buyer beware" applies, but on the whole, most are fine.

The login details are unique to the Sky router. Some people have been disconnected from Sky due to not paying a bill. These routers can be locked out. A simple phone call to Sky will normally get the unlocked.

Don't go silly on the price though. Sky will sell you a new one with a 12 month warranty for around 72 (please double check this price though). I have seen the odd SR102 sell for "stupid" prices.

Of course there will be some who will extract the details from their Sky router, use their own and sell the Sky router. These are silly as you would then have their log in details. Only one router with those details can log in at any one time.
      wolfiebrian likes this.