Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Netgear D934G Router no longer properly forwarding Ports

This is a discussion on Sky Netgear D934G Router no longer properly forwarding Ports within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Sorry if this is a bit jumbled up :P Recently I've noticed connections to games I play have been totally ...

johnt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Sky Netgear D934G Router no longer properly forwarding Ports

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled up :P

Recently I've noticed connections to games I play have been totally abysmal, to the point where I can't even log into them at times whereas before they always worked fine. It has been confusing me as my web browser traffic is going smooth. I figured opening up ports used by the games would help so I followed the instructions setting up services and firewall rules and making sure it was being directed at my static IP on my own system (I'm using a wireless connection and realistically cannot wire it up).

However upon checking to see if the port was open using a standard port checking tool it said the port was still closed and still cannot do anything in the program the port was setup for. I checked the Minecraft port I had set up a while back (which had been working) and that was also closed, in fact every port I would try to set up would just come back as being closed despite all the settings being put into the router correctly. I thought it might be a problem on my end with firewalls but nope nothing getting in the way of the programs and I tried the port checking tool on another couple systems in the house and the same result.

Not sure if it's relevant but also on the MMOs I'm trying to play quite often it'll run decently for a few seconds after logging in and then just cut out for something like 20 seconds or just disconnects. I usually play on American servers so I tried European ones and no dice. Not a server issue on the game's part as far as I know other people playing just fine...

I'm usually able to fix my own technical issues myself but I'm totally stumped on this one. I think it's probably an issue with the router itself which is bad news as can't really afford a new one. I do have a third party router that we used to have but I'm unsure if it's possible to use that instead.

Any help or ideas would be great

2. Advertisement
      johnt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Netgear D934G Router no longer properly forwarding Ports

Ok I called Tech Support and they were really unhelpful, kept thinking I needed telling how to open ports. They had no answers as to why I had issues with my games

I decided to switch into a third party router (Netgear DG834PN) and after getting my bearings I did finally manage to open the ports (I checked the ports with the tool from PortForward.com). However I am STILL having issues getting into my games without being thrown out after 10 seconds or so despite web browsing and torrents working perfectly.

I'm at a loss here. Considering this seems not to be a router issue I'll go post in the gaming section, feel free to close this topic