Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

D-Link 2640s as access point? Getting some problems

This is a discussion on D-Link 2640s as access point? Getting some problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've recently got the new free hub, and I'm trying to use the old D-link as an access point on ...

tsdadam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

D-Link 2640s as access point? Getting some problems

I've recently got the new free hub, and I'm trying to use the old D-link as an access point on the other side of the house, via a pair of homeplugs.

I've followed the instructions on the 'How to connect two routers' thread, and it works to a point, but it's falling at the last hurdle.

All devices can connect to the new wireless network, but most not the internet. My HTC phone connects and has full internet access, but my wife's Xperia does not. This laptop (current in Windows 8) doesn't connect, it shows as limited access (no internet access), despite the network properties showing it as having 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: D-Link 2640s as access point? Getting some problems

When you plug the laptop into a) the Dlink router and b) Direct into the Homeplug, both using ethernet, do they connect OK?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've not even tried with the Homeplug yet, although I think it should be fine.

At the moment if I connect it like this:

New hub > d-link > laptop (all ethernet)

It connects to the network, gets an IP address, but the network status shows as partial - no internet connection.

Thanks

Have you a) Turned off the DHCP server in the Dlink and b) given the Dlink a fixed address in the range of the SR101? These are basically all that is required.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you a) Turned off the DHCP server in the Dlink and b) given the Dlink a fixed address in the range of the SR101? These are basically all that is required.
      A) yes

B) yes

Its very odd and intermittent. My phone initially worked with it, but now fails to get an IP, but the ps3 I tested it with works fine. For now at least. I wonder if there's something I'm missing.

Am I right in assuming the AP (dlink) passes DHCP through in effect. So the SR101 sees a device connecting via a device already statically assigned, which then relays the DHCP to the end device?

Thanks

If the DHCP is turned off in the Dlink, this service is supplied by the main router the Hub. The Dlink is then acting purely as a switch with wireless capabilities. Unless the Dlink is a fair distance from the Hub, where there is a very poor or no signal, the Hub is liable to swamp out the signal from the Dlink.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'll maybe factory reset the dlink then, and try again. No worries with signal swamp, the reason I'm trying to do it is because the house is divided by 2ft thick granite walls

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsdadam View Post
      I'll maybe factory reset the dlink then, and try again. No worries with signal swamp, the reason I'm trying to do it is because the house is divided by 2ft thick granite walls
      Much like mine. I have a cable through a 2.5 foot wall to a Dlink 635, then a wireless booster to get the signal to my back room.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just to come back to this, and still no joy.

I'm wondering if there are any known problems with the SR101 and homeplug?

I'v factory reset the Dlink and it still does the same thing, nearly eveything can't connect to it (no IP address gets assigned).

Today I tried this:

SR101 -> Homeplug - Homeplug -> PS3

All ethernet, I can see that the homeplug links are working and there's activity on the PS3's ethernet port, but no IP address.

Does the SR101 have any known DHCP quirks?