Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Old Netgear router as wireless bridge ?

This is a discussion on Old Netgear router as wireless bridge ? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I now have the Sky Hub but missed out on the free wireless extender. I could do with a range ...

mccaba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Old Netgear router as wireless bridge ?

I now have the Sky Hub but missed out on the free wireless extender. I could do with a range boost to cover an area of the house where the wireless signal is poor due to very thing stone walls. Is it possible to configure the old Netgear Sky router as a wireless bridge and access point either with existing firmware of a TP firmware ?

Andrwe

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Old Netgear router as wireless bridge ?

If you received the Sky Hub as a part of last month's freebie, you should still be able to get the Booster. I was under the impression that you would have until 28th February in this scenario.

Otherwise you could connect the old Netgear router by following the instructions in this thread:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

If you have the white Netgear, then I believe that the firmware (or the original DG834GT firmware) does have the option to allow you to use it as a WiFi Extender.

I would like to point out that both the Netgear routers are only WiFi g routers. You might want to consider getting a WiFi n Extender instead.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that Scubbie.
      Although I applied, the demand for the extender was so high the offer was pulled pending delivery of more supplies, but I am not holding my breath but if it ever shows up that will be the solution.

I did read that link beforehand, but it is for two routers with a hard wired connection which I cannot arrange on my desired set up. I need it to be wireless. I know there is an option to use a Homeplug but not my preferred option. Is a wireless set up possible ?

Andrew

winnywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      The only way of doing this is to get a compatible router and installing dd-wrt and then configure it yo be a repeater bridge.
      All the info you need is here.
      http://www.dd-wrt.com
      Get a second hand compatible router from ebay install dd-wrt firmware and then set up its really easy to do.

I it ain't broke, take it apart it soon will be.

Thanks

Performance (i.e. speed) wise, Wireless is the worst option, but with a suitable device it should work. HomePlugs tend to be a little better but an Ethernet connection would be the best, but you say that this isn't possible.

Other than the Netgear DG834GT router, all the other Sky routers do not support the ability to work as a WiFi Extender. In order for them to provide a WiFi access point they do need that wired (can be via HomePlugs) connection to the main router.

I know that the original Netgear firmware for the DG834GT will support this feature. Sadly I do not elieve that there are any Custom firmwares for any of the other Sky routers which would do this. DD-WRT and OpenWRT are both for Cable routers (i.e. without a Modem), with a couple of very recent additions. So these custom firmwares will not be a solution sadly.

You may wish to look at one of these:

WN2500RP

They seem to be around 60 on-line. I did come across another one whilst looking:

BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I do like the simplified LEDs indicating the position from your router too. In all cases please check the reviews first.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again folks. I think I may have the solution. The blind wireless area is in my "man cave" where I have my main PC's. They are hard wired via a 4 port switch back to the Sky Hub. I want the wireless access in the man cave for things like the iPad, wireless in the Mobile etc. The wireless signal for these is a bit hit and miss. Suppose I can hard wire the 2nd router into the switch and set it up per the instructions from Scubbie above ? That will give me a wireless access point . Will the 2nd router also act as a switch giving me 4 more ports ?

If this is the answer, I am quite embarrassed that it didn't dawn on me until now Doooohhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

Andrew

Thanks

That will certainly work.

The actual gain in Ethernet ports will only be 2 though. This is because one port would be lost on the Network Switch as the connection to the old router, which will also lose one port.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mccaba (12-02-14)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just finished setting up the 2nd router as an access point, it all works . Yippeee , good WiFi connection throughout the house now.

Andrew