Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Extract username and password from sr102

This is a discussion on Extract username and password from sr102 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I gave the O2 broadband settings a go, but no dice there. Not sure why, maybe it's because I'm in ...

PartWelsh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Claregalway, IE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Extract username and password from sr102

I gave the O2 broadband settings a go, but no dice there. Not sure why, maybe it's because I'm in Ireland, but I did at least corroborate the information though from an official Sky Rep's post on their support forums:

can I use my own router for Sky broadband - Sky Community

The login details you need for your own router are:
      Encapsulation: PPPoA
      Username: install@o2broadband.co.uk
      Password: install
      VPI: 0
      VCI: 38
      Multiplexing: VC-BASED

Don't get rid of your Sky router, as you'll need to connect it up if you need support from Sky.
      The only setting I couldn't specifically spot that's detailed there was the Multiplexing. I couldn't see any settings on the pages of the modem that suggested I'd be able to look to see what it was currently set to, or a menu that would have allowed me to change it.

Maybe I was unfortunate enough to get through to a Sky Rep at customer support who had outdated information? It does appear that Sky are actually able to supply settings.

Will try give them a call at some stage and keep the thread updated

2. Advertisement
      swinster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PartWelsh View Post
      Hi all,

Cables - Grey DSL cable (internet) connected into the filtered phone socket, 1 Ethernet cable plugged into PC <-> One of the empty four WAN ports on the SR102
      Hey PartWelsh,

Try capturing WITHOUT the Internet lead connected - i.e. disconnect the Grey DSL Cable connected to the phone line.

Also, turn OFF DHCP on the LAN side on the router. You don't actually need an IP address on the PC, but you can set the IP address of the PC statically to avoid you seeing DHCP requests coming from the PC itself (without seeing the capture, this is maybe what you are seeing).

The DHCP discover packets for the WAN side, will then be sent and seen on the Ethernet side, but not responded to.

Then, with the router switched OFF, setup the Wireshark capture and get it running BEFORE the router is switched on (just save having to connect to the router and pressing the 'reboot' button). Switch on the router and wait.

PartWelsh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Claregalway, IE
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hey there Swinster,

Gave your recommendation a go there but no dice either. I ran it a few times just in case it was idiocy stopping it from working but only on one occasion did a single DHCP Discover event appear. The rest of the time, it was mostly looking like the below:

i.imgur.com/bk8DCWy.png

On the SR102 side, I made sure that under Advanced Setup -> WAN Setup, that 'Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port' was checked (though I did try it unchecked also, just incase), and under Advanced Seup -> Lan IP Setup, that 'Use Router as DHCP Server' was also unchecked.

I did post previously, but I guess it's sat with the mods because it contained a link to the Sky Help forums - but to update: I did try the O2 settings but didn't have any luck with that. Not sure if it's because I'm in IE rather than the UK. The only thing that could have stopped me there was the referenced mention to the Multiplex setting. I couldn't spot any reference to that on my ASUS control panels, does it ever have a different name?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Can you filter on UDP port 67, or simply type 'bootp' in the filter window. The Boot Strap Protocol is essentially the predecessor of DHCP but filtering using 'bootp' will eliminate all the fiddly port filters.

You have actually filtered on port 68 and 69. Port 68 is use by the the client to receive DHCP messages, whilst port 67 (which is what you are after) is used by the server to listed for client requests - essentially the client (SR102) is trying to connect to its upstream DHCP server. Port 69 is actually used for TFTP!

ludwigvon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, having spent an afternoon on the phone with Sky trying unsuccessfully to get the username and password for my router I finally found this post. Everything was going so well until I tried to r click in Wireshark to get the packet bytes in Printable Text Only.

It would appear r click doesn't work on the mac for contextual menus in Wireshark 1.12.0.

Has anyone got a workaround for this?

All of this because Sky Hub won't allow me to connect to my IP cams via dtdns - if anyone has found out how to get this working then it would save me a whole load of agro.

Cheers

Dave

Exchange:
      Thanks

Get a PC

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swinster View Post
      Get a PC
      I do have a PC but it's a work machine that I use on client sites and I don't really want to be installing Wireshark on it, I can imagine that will cause all kinds of problems....

You're right though, it would make all this a lot easier

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm glad you took that in the manor to which it was meant - tongue firmly in cheek. Whilst I have worked with Mac's on an off, I am not a great fan - the last time I had to run a recovery on a Mac Pro laptop HDD, it nearly ended up as a very expensive Frisbee.

Still, I have just looked to see if there was a menu alternative to that operation on in the PC Wireshark but I can't find anything, or a short cut, so I can't help (other than be rude about a Mac). Have a post on the Wireshark forum, they are usually pretty quick too.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, Mac's have their uses but after several years of using both Mac's and PC's I still don't get on with Mac's as well as maybe I should, i don't know, they just don't seem as intuitive to me.

Anyhoo, thanks for checking, if I don't get any other responses I'll have to consider loading wireshark onto my work laptop and risk a slapped wrist, I guess I can always immediately uninstall it again.....

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you have a works PC it would do no harm to install Wireshark on it, provided you have admin privledges. You do not need to be connected to the internet when using it and it can be uninstalled immediately after use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast