Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Extract username and password from sr102

This is a discussion on Extract username and password from sr102 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; If an RJ45 (8pin) to RJ11 (4 pin ?) adapter is required, what are the pin connections? On the RJ45 ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Extract username and password from sr102

If an RJ45 (8pin) to RJ11 (4 pin ?) adapter is required, what are the pin connections? On the RJ45 side its:
      What's the point, other than to experiment? Plug an ethernet cable, RJ45 both ends, into an ethernet port on the Hub and plug the other end into your PC. That's all that's required.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      swinster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yes - this was my original question - there is no Ethernet port on the WAN side, only the ADSL 4 pin port. On the LAN side there is the 4 Ethernet ports on the combined switch.

I am not sure if I understand your comments, but are you saying that you should be able to sniff the WAN DHCP request by plugging into a LAN Ethernet port?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

In a word, yes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Perfect

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, to my surprise this method does indeed work. I am a little amazed that the DHCP requests for the WAN side can be seen on the LAN side, and it does against my understanding of a router config, but there you go. Many thanks for this.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swinster View Post
      Well, to my surprise this method does indeed work. I am a little amazed that the DHCP requests for the WAN side can be seen on the LAN side, and it does against my understanding of a router config, but there you go. Many thanks for this.
      It's because it looks for the openreach modem on one of the ports and when it finds skys network reassigns it as a WAN port.

It's probably only an internal VLAN that seperates them anway, it is on a lot of SOHO kit.

Also you CANNOT plug the DSL/VDSL modem into an ethernet port, best case is nothing will happen, worst case is you'll break something.

You'd need a DSLAM/MSAN for it to sync with if you wanted to connect to it on the DSL interface.

PartWelsh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Claregalway, IE
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi all,

I'm keen to switch out my SR102 for my ASUS DSL N66U, but no matter which way around I try the troubleshooting suggested here, and in the SR101 thread, I seem to be coming up empty. I decided to sign up and post my setup/steps in case anyone can point at any of what I've been doing and tell me it's wrong.

Sky Modem - SR102 (Square black box, combined modem and router)
      Internet Connection -
      DSL (10 Mb - average download speed of 225 kb/s)
      Location -
      Ireland
      Operating System
      - Win7
      Cables - Grey DSL cable (internet) connected into the filtered phone socket, 1 Ethernet cable plugged into PC <-> One of the empty four WAN ports on the SR102

Step 1-
      Downloaded and Installed Wireshark
      Step 2 - Configured Wireshark to monitor my LAN Socket Interface on the PC (Wired into one the four otherwise empty WAN sockets on the SR102)
      Step 3 - Logged into the Sky Router admin page and rebooted the device
      Step 4 - Returned to Wireshark and started capturing packet
      Step 5 - Waited for 2-3 minutes and let it capture as many packets as is appropriate
      Step 6 - Filtered " udp.port == 67 " or " udp.port == 68 "
      Step 7 - Observed multiple filtered DHCP events for 'DHCP Request' , 'DHCP ACK' , 'DHCP Inform'

The Issue

As is indicated in every thread, response, and YouTube comment that I've read on this, I'm not seeing any of the 'DHCP Discover' events that I should be.

I've attempted numerous other methods for this, such as the SR101 approach (where I had removed the grey DSL cable from the back of the SR102, changed the network adapter settings to use a static IP), but no amount of combinations of any of the suggested methods appear to yield the same results.

The Question

Is there something basic that I am not doing, that I should be?
      Is there something basic that I am doing, that I shouldn't be?
      Should I configure my setup differently in order to see the Discover events?

Any advice/further troubleshooting anyone can point me at would be immensely appreciated. I was wrongly informed during sign up for Sky Broadband that I would be able to use my own equipment with the line, and Customer Service have offered that if I can't sort it myself, I'm within my rights to cancel at any time. Keen to see if I can get it working though rather than go down the route of moving to a different ISP.

Cheers!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Since Sky now allow the use of 3rd party modems on their DSL (But not Fibre/FTTC) I would have hoped that as you are a DSL customer you could simply get the required information from Sky themselves.

It also might be worth trying PPPoA on VCI 0 VPI 38 with the username install@o2broadband.co.uk

This might work as they enabled it on some of their exchanges to support the migration of the o2 customers to the Sky network

PartWelsh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Claregalway, IE
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

How recent is that change for sky to allow 3rd party modems? I spoke to them two weeks ago and was straight up told by their Tech and Customer Care teams that they don't have access to the Usernames/passwords to use 3rd party equipment to give them to me, but encouraged me to pursue the 'google it' route

Will give the O2 stuff a go though, thanks for the recommendation.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PartWelsh View Post
      How recent is that change for sky to allow 3rd party modems? I spoke to them two weeks ago and was straight up told by their Tech and Customer Care teams that they don't have access to the Usernames/passwords to use 3rd party equipment to give them to me, but encouraged me to pursue the 'google it' route

Will give the O2 stuff a go though, thanks for the recommendation.
      About the time they announced Sky broadband Pro, which was sometime after they bought O2.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast