Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using the Sagemcom F@st 2504n router with another modem

This is a discussion on Using the Sagemcom F@st 2504n router with another modem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok, so I've installed the mrtm32's custom firmware with the hope that I will be able to connect the Sky ...

markscamilleri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Exclamation Using the Sagemcom F@st 2504n router with another modem

Ok, so I've installed the mrtm32's custom firmware with the hope that I will be able to connect the Sky router with my ISP's cable modem. However I'm still unable to. I'm trying to use WANoE (which is connected to port 1). I know that this might be a problem on my ISP's modem/router's end however I thought that I could get some help as I'm desperate.

The reason for doing this is that they recently upgraded our internet download speed, however through Wi-Fi we aren't able to get the maximum (yeah i know it's a bottleneck). But this ISP's modem/router is using 802.11g and I can't upgrade that. Also my ISP wants to charge me 20 for a new router. So since I have this sky router with 802.11n I decided to try and connect it with my modem, use it's Wi-Fi and see if it makes any difference to my internet download speed via Wi-Fi.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a noob at this.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Using the Sagemcom F@st 2504n router with another modem

You will not be able to use that router with another ISP but what you can do is piggyback it on to your ISP's router. Follow the instructions here, changing the addresses as required for your router.-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You will not be able to use that router with another ISP but what you can do is piggyback it on to your ISP's router. Follow the instructions here, changing the addresses as required for your router.-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

Ahh yes, I did read that, however I wish to do it the other way round. My ISP's modem connected to my ISP and the sky router connected via Ethernet cable to my modem.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't think that will work. To get the full router functions you must be connected by the ADSL/Internet port, you can't do that with Sagem. You can only connect it to another router. To connect to the modem you will need a cable router. To use the Sagem you will need to connect it Modem>your own router>Sagem router. Follow the instructions in the link.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Wink Re: Using the Sagemcom F@st 2504n router with another modem

Quote Originally Posted by markscamilleri View Post
      Ok, so I've installed the mrtm32's custom firmware with the hope that I will be able to connect the Sky router with my ISP's cable modem. However I'm still unable to. I'm trying to use WANoE (which is connected to port 1). I know that this might be a problem on my ISP's modem/router's end however I thought that I could get some help as I'm desperate.

The reason for doing this is that they recently upgraded our internet download speed, however through Wi-Fi we aren't able to get the maximum (yeah i know it's a bottleneck). But this ISP's modem/router is using 802.11g and I can't upgrade that. Also my ISP wants to charge me €20 for a new router. So since I have this sky router with 802.11n I decided to try and connect it with my modem, use it's Wi-Fi and see if it makes any difference to my internet download speed via Wi-Fi.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a noob at this.
      After resetting the router, I followed these instructions and it worked like a charm. Apparently I don't need to activate WANoE but I can keep it on Auto. Also I don't need to do anything to my cable router. After following these instructions I was able to enjoy the full internet speed.