Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New SR101 modem wireless channels

This is a discussion on New SR101 modem wireless channels within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello ppl I had a sagem Wirless G router for a few years and foolish I KNOW i upgraded to ...

mstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New SR101 modem wireless channels

Hello ppl

I had a sagem Wirless G router for a few years and foolish I KNOW i upgraded to a new sky modem as the other one cracked after my son ran over it with his toys.

Anyway, set up the router NOT seen much difference except marginally lower sync speed connecting it up last week.

My questions if anyone be grateful in helping are:

1. I have a few channels used by others 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 10 and 11. most are on 11, 1 and 6. Strongest signal from routers on 6 and 11.
      I downloaded a app on my android and one app (wifi analyzer) says best network is 14 (which i cannot set on my router, does it mean 13??) and 6. Another app "wi-fi analytics" specifys to use channels with nobody on them so no interference i.e 3,4,8,9 (no mention of 13). So anybody recommend should i stick with default 6 or 11 (seems everyone near me is on these) or choose one with nobody is on?
      not sure if it matters which number from (3,4,8 or 9)

2. I have noticed that my previous router (Sagem F@st) used to go up and down upload and download stream connection fluctuates up and down over the year. Will i notice this with this new Sky SR101??
      Is this the DLM working??

3. Does it affect my connection (during the DLM monitoring above) if i move my router after 1 week to get best wireless reception now that we have 3 BT sockets in the house (currently its in the master socket but a little inconvienent as it upsets my wifes room ascetic placement of pictures on the shelf LOL

4. Will the DLM kick in now that i have a new router plugged in??? will a new router really make a difference for DLM to test my connection etc?

thanks ppl so sorry if i am a nooby and these questions are silly

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: New SR101 modem wireless channels

I. Try Channel 13, especially if no one is using it. It will be overlapped from C11, but that is better than being on the same channel. If you have the SR101 or 102 leave it on the Auto channel setting for a while and see how it goes. I personally do not find it any good, but many do.

2. The speeds should not fluctuate much, if it does then there is excessive noise on the line.

3. You can try it in another socket but the master socket is best for speed and stability.

4. Connecting a new router will not cause DLM to kick in. If you want your line retrained you will have to talk Sky into restarting DLM training. Note the 'training', simply starting DLM will not train the line, it will just drop the speed if you have a problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i took advice from the web analyser tool, switched it on channel 1 and the reading seems to be higher according to the tool. There is 2 other AP's on that channel but when i put it on 3 (no AP's but with 6 overlaping channels) the reading is slightly lower.

Weird i thought channel 1 was congested and i should stay away from those but putting it on other channels they overlap onto those channels. Seems channel 1 gives me higher signal then 3. Will try 13 next (which has very strong AP's on channel 11.

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Trial and error is usually the best method in a home installation! 1, 6 and 11 are the most used channels. The best signal should be 5 channels away from the strongest competing signal but some overlap is usually ok. It doesn't really matter how many others are using channel 1, it's the signal strength that will cause interference.

One thing the wifi analyser apps won't show you is domestic interference from other products using the 2.4 GHz band like DECT phones, microwave ovens or smart TVs. I get around the problem by having a 5 GHz router plugged into the SR101 to provide extra channels for devices that can use the higher band.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I testing on channel 13. But strogest AP's are on channel 11 which overlap to channel 13. On channel 1 the weakest but most Ap's are on that. So i still like the idea of putting it on a channel where nobody is on (but will have overlapping AP's interference?)

One thing i noticed with on channel 13 is that the wireless signal grapgh isn't going up and down like a yo-yo like on channel 1. it has more smoother line. Other APs wireless signal goes up and down but on channel 13 its lower signal strength (marginally) but the signal is less peaks and troughs.

interesting...