Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky router issues

This is a discussion on Sky router issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello! I've been having a few issues with my sky router lately, I have to use homeplugs because the signal ...

redrum217uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: DUNSTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky router issues

Hello!

I've been having a few issues with my sky router lately, I have to use homeplugs because the signal isn't strong enough, streaming video buffers etc. Cut a very long story sort sky have suggested getting their new hub instead of my very old SagemF@ST2304. This will mean I can connect my upstairs PC to wifi rather than homeplugs (which they claim is causing interference) regardless of that, the signal strength on my top floor is really bad, always has been, as I live in a townhouse.

They have also suggested moving my router into the hallway and have it in the master socket, so they gave me a free wifi connector for my HD box as long as I took sky movies for 1 month. I also had to sign up to a new 1 year broadband contract to get the hub for free BUT i also got my internet for free for a year.

Is this really that much of an improvement over my current one? I know my current is G only and the new is N, all my devices are N compatible. Speed isn't the problem really, its the wifi range.

Thanks

Paul

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky router issues

It will be a big improvement over your old one, but whether it will be strong enough to reach your top rooms is debatable. Compared to its competitors the Hub has a poor wireless performance. Sticking with Homeplugs may be your best bet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well I got my New Hub today! I was really geeky and did some speeds tests, which I know isn't scientific but you get the idea! I did 3 speeds tests one after another on my mobile Nexus 4 and then my tablet Nexus 7 (2012) before I installed the hub then after. I didn't record ping or upload, not really sure why. I only did 1 test at a time.

First up testing on my phone Nexus 4

Bedside Table Average before 8.82Mbps Average after 10.89 Mbps
      Bed (signal always drops out here) Average before 3.22Mbps Average after 10.00Mbps (this seems consistent too)
      Computer (where I have homeplugs as signal is so bad) Average before 4.32Mbps Average after 9.68Mbps
      Far corner of top of house Average before 3.10Mbps Average after 4.86Mbps
      Livingroom where router is Average before 9.47Mbps Average after 11.59Mbps

Overall average before 6.14Mbps Average after 9.05Mbps

So there is quite an improvement, especially where i wanted it which is my PC.

My Nexus 7

Bedside Table Average before 4.15Mbps Average after 3.81 Mbps
      Bed (signal always drops out here) Average before 3.02Mbps Average after 4.26Mbps
      Computer (where I have homeplugs as signal is so bad) Average before 0.73 Mbps Average after 1.41 Mbps
      Far corner of top of house Average before 0.55Mbps Average after 1.91Mbps
      Livingroom where router is Average before 10.32 Mbps Average after 11.12Mbps

Overall average before 3.93 Mbps Average after 4.32Mbps

Strangely my tablet improved in some areas a little bit but then performed far worse in others. Although most of the averages are more, the individual tests were erratic. I don't really understand this at all, especially as my mobile seen a huge improvement! I already knew the Nexus 7 wifi aerial wasn't the best, i think this may just prove how bad it is!

But there you go!

One thing, in my router mode it gives me options for various G networks and even a B, but no N, why is that?

Thanks

The Auto selection gives you wireless N. None of the Sky wireless N routers have shown as being N. The firmware developers do not consider it necessary.

If your devices are all wireless N you should see an improvement in speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply

Do you know if getting the new router it will start that 2 week line test thing? Like when I first got sky?

I'm finding in my bedroom the speed/signal quite erratic. I can have 3 out of 4 bars signal strength on my phone but only get 0.05Mbps d/l but a full 1Mbps upload (you'd think they both be bad)

Then I can only have 1 bar signal strength and get the full 11mbps. Granted my bedroom is the furthest away room from where I now have my router. Plus the signal can go from 3/4 to nothing. It does this on various devices, low signal but good speed and good signal but slow speed.

Thanks

Thanks

The DLM training should only start when there is a change in your line. A different router will not start it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

thanks isitme, I moved the hub back to its original location and the wifi signal and speed is much much better. Way better than my old router.