Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Flashing DG934G router to stock netgear

This is a discussion on Flashing DG934G router to stock netgear within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm trying to flash the stock Netgear firmware on to the spare DG934G router i have here, but having problems ...

chenks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSIRV
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Flashing DG934G router to stock netgear

I'm trying to flash the stock Netgear firmware on to the spare DG934G router i have here, but having problems doing it.

Was following the instructions at ::. Kitz - Sky router DG934G .::.
      Managed to source the recovery utility seeing as it's no longer available on the netgeart website, however after i select the network adaptor i don't get a screen listing any mac addresses (no errors either).
      It appears to jump to the screen after that with partially filled out device details (this is using XP).

The firmware i have from the netgear website is DG834V3_V4.03.04.img.

I've also tried 10.0.1.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug, which enabled debug mode, but that wouldn't let me manually install the netgear firmware.

So, any other way to get this flashed?

2. Advertisement
      BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Flashing DG934G router to stock netgear

Its been a while since I have done this but have done it many times before.

As you know you have to use XP but have you tried a reset on the router before starting? and turn off any firewalls/anti virus programs.

Are you sure the recovery utility is OK?

Other than that is the router broken?

Here are some notes I have but don't take them as read but just to think about.

Originally Posted by Isitme
      I am not sure if it will work for you but this is what I did in a similar situation.

Open the Netgear Recovery Utility folder and move the .img file to somewhere else. Don't delete it, you'll need it later.
      Download this firmware image for the DG834PN router and put it into the Recovery Utility folder. Rename it to firmware.img
      Start the Recovery Utility as usual, using the RmDrv.exe. from the Recover Utility folder. You now have to get past No 6 in THIS tutorial to get to this stage, which seems to be your problem.
      The router should then be found and it's MAC address shown. At this point, don't click Next yet. Delete the PN image file then copy the DG834GT image back into the folder and rename it firmware.img
      Now click Next and the upgrade should proceed as normal.

When you are doing this make sure that nothing else is connected to the router except the PC you are using for the upgrade and also make sure you are disconnected from the internet by unplugging the RJ11 connector. Switch off any other PCs/Laptops to ensure they are not trying to connect by wireless.

You can also try installing the MS loopback driver as suggested by Moleman-
      How to install the Microsoft Loopback adapter in Windows XP

************************************************** *************************

The Microsoft Loopback adapter is a testing tool for a virtual network environment where network access is not available. Also, you must use the Loopback adapter if there are conflicts with a network adapter or with a network adapter driver. You can bind network clients, protocols, and other network configuration items to the Loopback adapter, and you can install the network adapter driver or network adapter later while retaining the network configuration information. You can also install the Loopback adapter during the unattended installation process.

Back to the top
      Manual installation
      To manually install the Microsoft Loopback adapter in Windows XP, follow these steps:
      Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
      If you are in Classic view, click Switch to Category View under Control Panel in the left pane.
      Double-click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Next.
      Under See Also in the left pane, click Add Hardware,and then click Next.
      Click Yes, I have already connected the hardware, and then click Next.
      At the bottom of the list, click Add a new hardware device, and then click Next.
      Click Install the hardware that I manually select from a list, and then click Next.
      Click Network adapters, and then click Next.
      In the Manufacturer box, click Microsoft.
      In the Network Adapter box, click Microsoft Loopback Adapter, and then click Next.
      Click Finish.
      After the adapter is installed successfully, you can manually configure its options, as with any other adapter. If the TCP/IP properties are configured to use DHCP, the adapter will eventually use an autonet address (169.254.x.x/16) because the adapter is not actually connected to any physical media.

Note By default, TCP/IP properties are configured to use DHCP.
      Last edited by BritBrat; 16-10-13 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks

the router is fine, the issue is with the recovery utility.
      the XP install was a clean install with nothing on it other than the recovery utility - no AV or firewalls enabled.
      i'm going to try it on windows 7 to see if that makes any difference.

Exchange:
      Thanks

More notes fron DGteam:

Recovery Utility upgrade (Win XP32 systems)

First of all, you have to download the Recovery Utility and save it for eventually further usages (you easily won't be able to connect the router if you absolutely need to use it).

Power down the router and wait about 20 sec to let internal capacitors discharge properly.

Unpack in a folder the Recovery Utility archive you downloaded before.
      Put the firmware you want to upload in the recovery utility folder (PLEASE CHECK IF MODEL IS CORRECT BEFORE UPGRADING).

Connect your PC to the router with the LAN cable (RJ-45) and please disconnect all the other devices connected to the router (pc, print servers, etc.).

Push and keep hold the little reset button on router's rear without releasing it, then power up the router: now power and tick leds should alternatively blink (NOTE: some router models may have different idle procedures: please read the related documentation).

Release the reset button: router is now in IDLE mode, ready to be updated.

Execute RmDrv.exe from the recovery utility folder: this file initializes ethernet device to physically comunicate with router LAN switch.

Execute UpgradeWizard.exe from the recovery utility folder.

Clicking next, in the first screen you will find a list containing all pc's network devices: select the one connected to the router and click next. #

Now you will see a screen containing router's MAC address only: select it and click next.

Then you will see a screen containing some router informations: check if they are correct and click next.

Click Upgrade.

Now recovery procedure will start; it is divided into 3 steps: Erasing EEPROM, Upgrade and Verification; wait until termination without disconnecting or powering down the router in ANY CASE.

When the upgrade is finished click Close to exit the program, execute RmDrv.exe again from the recovery utility folder and refresh/restart your network device to reactivate it: now router should be ready to work.
      Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

i'm using these instructions - ::. Kitz - Sky router DG934G .::
      i'm not attempting to use DGT firmware btw, just stock netgear.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chenks View Post
      i'm using these instructions - ::. Kitz - Sky router DG934G .::
      i'm not attempting to use DGT firmware btw, just stock netgear.
      The procedure is exactly the same.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

There is a bug in the recovery utility that causes it to fail if the PC has only one network adapter. That is the reason for the suggestion to install the Microsoft loopback adapter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
      There is a bug in the recovery utility that causes it to fail if the PC has only one network adapter. That is the reason for the suggestion to install the Microsoft loopback adapter.
      i see.....

Exchange:
      Thanks

If all else fails I may be able to flash a router and post one to you.

B J
      B J is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exchange Too Far----- street cab 80 yards
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chenks View Post
      I'm trying to flash the stock Netgear firmware on to the spare DG934G router i have here, but having problems doing it.

Was following the instructions at ::. Kitz - Sky router DG934G .::.
      Managed to source the recovery utility seeing as it's no longer available on the netgeart website, however after i select the network adaptor i don't get a screen listing any mac addresses (no errors either).
      It appears to jump to the screen after that with partially filled out device details (this is using XP).

The firmware i have from the netgear website is DG834V3_V4.03.04.img.

I've also tried 10.0.1.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug, which enabled debug mode, but that wouldn't let me manually install the netgear firmware.

So, any other way to get this flashed?

The firmware you are trying to flash is for north america DG834V3_V4.03.04.img. ?
      His name was nut, Mr P Nut.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast