Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using a Sky router as a regular router

This is a discussion on Using a Sky router as a regular router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I appreciate this question has probably been answered before, but it's quite hard to search for an answer as so ...

DeusXM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Using a Sky router as a regular router

I appreciate this question has probably been answered before, but it's quite hard to search for an answer as so many results come up from the search terms!

Ok, I have Sky Fibre installed, with the modem connected via a LAN cable to the router.

This is a new router provided by Sky - I still have my 'old' router left over from my original Sky Broadband.

My question is very simple - can I use my 'old' Sky modem/router as a regular router for an entirely separate network, unconnected to the Sky network? My brother is moving into a student house where there is a wired ethernet socket but he would like wireless throughout the house. Can I give him my old sky router, connect it to the ethernet socket and then have this router just beam the LAN signal throughout the house? I'm just trying to find ways to save him money and if the old Ksy router is just knocking about doing nothing at the moment anyway it seems a sensible thing to do.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Using a Sky router as a regular router

Sadly the Sky routers tend to come locked down with Sky's firmware. This means that they are set up to only connect to Sky's servers.

I velieve that there are two exceptions to this, provided that you load non-Sky firmware on them:

1. Netgear DG834GT - Load Netgear's original firmware
      2. D-Link DSL 2640S - Load the D-Link 2640 firmware

If these are what you have, then please search this forum for more specific instructions. If you have the first router, personally I wouldn't use it anymore as more are failing now. As for the D-Link, it is a WiFi g router. Fine for close contact or Ethernet, but not brilliant by the standards of newer routers.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

His best bet would be to get something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-M...d_sim_sbs_ce_2 or some type of cable router. You could use the Sagem, using these instructions to connect it, but he may need the cooperation of the Network administrator.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sadly the Sky routers tend to come locked down with Sky's firmware. This means that they are set up to only connect to Sky's servers.

I velieve that there are two exceptions to this, provided that you load non-Sky firmware on them:

1. Netgear DG834GT - Load Netgear's original firmware
      2. D-Link DSL 2640S - Load the D-Link 2640 firmware

If these are what you have, then please search this forum for more specific instructions. If you have the first router, personally I wouldn't use it anymore as more are failing now. As for the D-Link, it is a WiFi g router. Fine for close contact or Ethernet, but not brilliant by the standards of newer routers.
      You can do it with the old Sagem router too, I flashed the firmware on one and used it as a wireless router until it died not so long ago, probably overheated due to being unable to stand on its end

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      His best bet would be to get something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-M...d_sim_sbs_ce_2 or some type of cable router. You could use the Sagem, using these instructions to connect it, but he may need the cooperation of the Network administrator.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html
      I replaced it with one of these, very simple to set up did it in minutes and works fine

TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Cable Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Thank you, I had totally forgotten about the firmware for the Sagem 2504.

I misread the original post though and Tom's solution is the right one.

This wouldn't give the person their own individual network, but would grant them their own WiFi access.

A cable router would allow them to access the Internet by using the WAN port to connect to the main local network, with some privacy on their own network. However it would cause problems with some services if, for example, they wanted to access their own LAN from elsewhere.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.