Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Do I need to upgrade my Sky Router?

This is a discussion on Do I need to upgrade my Sky Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OKay so for the past 4 months our internet has been bad. So whats actually wrong with the internet is ...

gemgemchan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EALAI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DGND3700v2
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Do I need to upgrade my Sky Router?

OKay so for the past 4 months our internet has been bad.

So whats actually wrong with the internet is its very slow (I did a speed test and it said download speed is 1mb and upload speed is 0.48mp)

Theres also loud crackling on the phone whenever the internet is on. So we have to keep turning the internet off anytime someone wants to use the phone.

And you cant connect to any wireless devices thats more than 4 feet away from the router.

So thats whats wrong with it.

I tried changing the microfilters and I tried connecting the router to the main socket internet which is downstairs. No change in performance.

My dad suggested that I take the router around a friends house and test to see if it works there. Thing is I dont think it will work with my friends internet because they are on virgin.

I also thought about buying a new router but according to Sky's T&C Im not allowed to do that as Sky wants me to use one of their routers and not someone elses. And if I did use another router I need a username and password.

My friend said that if could be because my router is old. I think its 6 years old.... I asked online as well and someones answer was

"You may need to get a new router to cope with your current broadband speed. Old ones weren't designed to cope with todays speeds. Don't buy one though. If you're still with Sky you can phone them up, explain the problem and ask for a router upgrade. They should do it for free for you."

So my question is what number do I ring to phone them up? Also will they send me a router like I have now or will it be this Sky hub I keep seeing advertised? Do I have to pay for the new router?

Some more info I know that our phone provider is BT but our internet and TV are with Sky. Our Sky internet is Broadband unlimited.

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Do I need to upgrade my Sky Router?

Quote Originally Posted by gemgemchan View Post
      OKay so for the past 4 months our internet has been bad.

So whats actually wrong with the internet is its very slow (I did a speed test and it said download speed is 1mb and upload speed is 0.48mp)

Theres also loud crackling on the phone whenever the internet is on. So we have to keep turning the internet off anytime someone wants to use the phone.

And you cant connect to any wireless devices thats more than 4 feet away from the router.

So thats whats wrong with it.

I tried changing the microfilters and I tried connecting the router to the main socket internet which is downstairs. No change in performance.

My dad suggested that I take the router around a friends house and test to see if it works there. Thing is I dont think it will work with my friends internet because they are on virgin.

I also thought about buying a new router but according to Sky's T&C Im not allowed to do that as Sky wants me to use one of their routers and not someone elses. And if I did use another router I need a username and password.
      You can use 3rd party (non-Sky) routers but you will need to use one of the guides on here to make it work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by gemgemchan View Post
      My friend said that if could be because my router is old. I think its 6 years old.... I asked online as well and someones answer was

"You may need to get a new router to cope with your current broadband speed. Old ones weren't designed to cope with todays speeds. Don't buy one though. If you're still with Sky you can phone them up, explain the problem and ask for a router upgrade. They should do it for free for you."

So my question is what number do I ring to phone them up? Also will they send me a router like I have now or will it be this Sky hub I keep seeing advertised? Do I have to pay for the new router?

Some more info I know that our phone provider is BT but our internet and TV are with Sky. Our Sky internet is Broadband unlimited.
      If you re-contract with Sky broadband for 12 months you can get a free Hub. Also make sure you are paying 12.50 not 15 for your broadband since you've had it so long. This change is also a re-contract but you should be okay to do both at the same time.

If you don't want to re-contract then the Hub is 69 + 2.18 postage and in this scenario you would get better performance from a similar priced 3rd party router.

If you have phoneline with BT and would be interested in swapping your phone to sky then you could get an offer to switch it like 12 months half price line rental plus your broadband would drop to 7.50 per month. Sky's line rental is 14.50 per month normally so half price is 7.25. With this you get a choice of free weekend calls to 01, 02, 03 and 0870 numbers for free (and free calls to Sky on their 08442 numbers) or Anytime UK calls 7-days a week to 01, 02, 03, 0870 and 0845 numbers for 5 per month, or Anytime UK + International calls to 50 countries inclusive for 10 per month.
      Switching your phone to Sky would re-contract for both for 12 months, too.

As to the fault which you originally posted someone else who is good a bb technical stuff will advise on that but it's not necessarily a router fault from the problems you are describing.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      As to the fault which you originally posted someone else who is good a bb technical stuff will advise on that but it's not necessarily a router fault from the problems you are describing.
      I do not think that the fault has anything to do with the router. I would love to be proved wrong, but it sounds like a line fault from the description.

@gemgemchan: This being the case, then whomever you pay the line rental is responsible for fixing it. Do not mention issues with broadband when speaking with BT Retail. This will confuse things. They are responsible for maintaining the line.

Sure the old white Netgear DG834GT has seen better days, more are failing now, but your description doesn't quite make sense in relation to the router. If you are interested, your exchange has FTTC available. You may wish to consider getting SFU. You would get the new Sky Hub SR101. You will need to check to see if it is available to you though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

ok check if noise disappears when router is disconnected from line , next check if noise present when just filter in or dsl cable , if noise present on any of these they need replaced
      also for speed issue check from test and post both sets of stats normal setup and test socket , stats found by logging into router using 192.168.0.1 username admin password sky you will see link at bottom screen show statistics click that and copy this part IE
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 23999 kbps 1137 kbps
      Line Attenuation 5.0 dB 5.4 dB
      Noise Margin 4.8 dB 9.1 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I do not think that the fault has anything to do with the router. I would love to be proved wrong, but it sounds like a line fault from the description.

@gemgemchan: This being the case, then whomever you pay the line rental is responsible for fixing it. Do not mention issues with broadband when speaking with BT Retail. This will confuse things. They are responsible for maintaining the line.
      Its not the router. I bought a new router and tested that and its the same. Same crackling down the phone and internet speed is the same. The only positive thing about the new router is that it can stay connecting while downstairs! (Our router is in my bedroom and usually it would disconnect if you ever left the room)

So its not the router. My dad checked the internal wiring and thats not it. I changed microfilter again. Still loud crackling down the phone.

If I phone up BT what do I say? Since our internet is with Sky... but the phone works fine when the internet is turned off.....

This is so frustrating T-T

Thanks

Noise disappears when router is disconnected.
      Noise reappears when router is turned back on.
      "next check if noise present when just filter in or dsl cable" Im confused by this, sorry Im not good at internet related things.

ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 1730 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 798 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Im not sure if thats the info you mean...Sorry Im not very good at this

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

just connect the filter and dsl cable and check for noise (without router connected) may be faulty dsl cable (simply this is common) , also did you find if you have a test socket , try connecting at test socket , if no noise in test socket balance problem with internal wiring , if noise in test socket faulty socket or outside issue

stats found by logging into router using 192.168.0.1 username admin password sky you will see link at bottom screen show statistics click that and copy this part Example
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 23999 kbps 1137 kbps
      Line Attenuation 5.0 dB 5.4 dB
      Noise Margin 4.8 dB 9.1 dB

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

As tenar has suggested, please do check with a different ADSL cable and also check by using the Test Socket, located behind the faceplate of many Master Sockets:

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

As for getting the stats and posting them, you may want to read this guide:

How to get your Sky Router statistics

Unfortunately if the issue is on the telephone line then it IS BT's responsibility. They are responsible for the telephone line. If they refuse to do anything, then I would be tempted to talk with Sky and move everything across to them.

BT will probably call you and make you lots of offers to stay, but I think you can see what their services can be like.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If the noise only occurs when the router is plugged in, then the filter is not doing its job properly, no matter how many filters you have tried. Buy a good quality filter and try it. In the meantime, connect 2 filters together, plugging the router into the first one and the phone into the second one. See if that helps. Make sure nothing else is connected to the phone line, including especially Sky+ boxes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.