Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Like Tree23Likes

Beta Trial

This is a discussion on Beta Trial within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm actually getting a bit fed up of contributing to the Sky Help Forum. On the board that I mostly ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Beta Trial

I'm actually getting a bit fed up of contributing to the Sky Help Forum. On the board that I mostly post in, it's mostly the same old questions (often about very basic things) that come up over and over. I guess that a lot of the folks that use it just can't be bothered (or just don't know how) to do any research or self-help at all, by searching or reading through past posts. If it wasn't for the chance of occasional other involvements by being over there, I'd have chucked it in by now!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There is certainly a lot of a**e licking going on in both the public and private forums over there - that is human nature.

However, I have never found speaking your mind and criticising Sky's approach precludes people from participation in the debate - or being invited onto beta tests and the like. Quite the contrary in fact - so long as views are expressed with respect .

One thing I have noticed recently over there though is the huge number of negative posts made by first time posters who make a single post and then vanish - I find it hard to believe that Sky are not aware 90% of these are by the same person!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      However, I have never found speaking your mind precludes people from participation in the debate - or being invited onto beta tests and the like. Quite the contrary in fact - so long as view are expressed with respect .
      Quite true. I am not afraid of being critical of Sky over there when it's warranted. The mods mainly just tend to ignore it though. Although I did once have a post censored. My post, as part of a discussion about PlusNet's unlimited fibre 80/20 product for 19.99, was partially removed because "you have been advising of Plusnet and it comes across as you are promoting there product". As if I would do such a thing! Although actually....

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      ...so long as views are expressed with respect...
      This is the key thing.

Whilst some may see it as being fluffy or whatever, by being respectful people will listen. All too often I see naughty words in posts which are then removed once the Sky staff see them. We have a filter on this forum to prevent most of the naughty words from appearing and a policy of banning people for circumventing it too often.

As for the same people posting once and then running off, actually Sky do see more information than just a user name. Their system also has access to IP Addresses that we do not and can prevent a Sky customer from accessing their forums from their home connection even if their IP Address has been changed.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Quite true. I am not afraid of being critical of Sky over there when it's warranted. The mods mainly just tend to ignore it though. Although I did once have a post censored. My post, as part of a discussion about PlusNet's unlimited fibre 80/20 product for 19.99, was partially removed because "you have been advising of Plusnet and it comes across as you are promoting there product". As if I would do such a thing! Although actually....
      This is the difficulty. Sure someone in sky will be only too aware of the pricing policy from PlusNet, BT Retail, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and all the rest. What they may not appreciate is the feelings of their customer base who will just vote with their feet if the pricing structure isn't close.

...well at least until more people are leaving than are joining.

As for promoting PlusNet, as in your example, perhaps they should sit up and take note then. PlusNet and BT Retail, just like Sky is with their ADSL2+ Unlimited package, are heavily promoting their products on the television and in other media. To ignore it would be a fatal business decision.

I guess an important question would be to ask if Sky are serious about remaining the UK's second largest ISP and if they are intent on closing the gap with BT PLC (who use both BT Retail & PlusNet figure combined now) to become the main ISP in the UK.
      speedyrite likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      This is the difficulty. Sure someone in sky will be only too aware of the pricing policy from PlusNet, BT Retail, TalkTalk, Virgin Media and all the rest. What they may not appreciate is the feelings of their customer base who will just vote with their feet if the pricing structure isn't close.

...well at least until more people are leaving than are joining.

As for promoting PlusNet, as in your example, perhaps they should sit up and take note then. PlusNet and BT Retail, just like Sky is with their ADSL2+ Unlimited package, are heavily promoting their products on the television and in other media. To ignore it would be a fatal business decision.

I guess an important question would be to ask if Sky are serious about remaining the UK's second largest ISP and if they are intent on closing the gap with BT PLC (who use both BT Retail & PlusNet figure combined now) to become the main ISP in the UK.
      The thing is that I wasn't actually promoting PlusNet! The thread in question was originated by someone who was planning to migrate away from Sky Fibre to PlusNet. Naturally the discussion ranged over the merits of doing so and the comparative pros & cons of Sky vs PlusNet. What you might call open and honest discussion.

What I learned from this episode is that it's a help forum not a discussion forum - my contribution of help & assistance appears to be happily accepted by the Sky reps, but open and honest constructive discussion (of the type to be found here on Skyuser) may be subject to censorship if it is arbitrarily considered to be unfavourable to Sky and it is noticed by a Sky rep (or maybe it's just some of the less experienced Sky reps!)

I also think that Sky could learn a thing or two from the PlusNet community forum, where members of their Digital Care Team actively step in and are empowered to pick up individual customer problems reported there and get them resolved. I believe they also do this on some other forums too. Trials aside, the only example I can think of on the Sky Help Forum that compares to this is the recent "half-speed" problem where one of the Community Content Managers took on a customer advocate role and vastly improved the customer communication on this issue which had been truly appalling up until then. I have suggested several times to Sky that it would be beneficial to have something similar on the Sky Help Forum using technically skilled people but not even a thanks for the idea response.
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I can think of several more threads where someone from Sky has stated for the OP to check their Private Messages so that an issue can be resolved. I have also flagged up a variety of posts where it would be better for someone from Sky to deal.

As for being open and allowing people to discuss things, this is the great thing about this forum.

Sure some people come here to have a go at Sky. Once they realise we aren't Sky, they often calm down and perhaps the issue can be looked at and a suitable resolution offered.
      speedyrite and Angel_Rex like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

have to admit, sometimes I think I no longer want to be a super user on their forums because its "restricting" , I too have been collared once or twice for discussing things like 3rd party routers (even though I didnt divulge instructions) and other ISPs (PlusNet too lol) - I started to wonder if they actually offered me the position of Super User just so they could control what I was saying becuase before I was given the role I was quite critical of sky's DLM and some of the procedures etc, I did guide people to this forum for instructions on 3rd party routers etc... then I was suddenly offered the role and then felt "controlled" and I have honestly thought about asking to be removed from Super User...

Iam on the new Hub trial...
      speedyrite likes this.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Starting to feel the same way Snadge. But for the trials opportunities, I would probably ask to be removed too. Good to hear you are on the new Hub trial, let's hope the next generation Hub is ahead of the game (instead of being just about up with it!)

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Whatever this new hub does, I just hope that it is free as I am not prepared to pay sly for a router / modem that they insist I use.

I currently use my own router, and appreciate it is not officially allowed.

dog-man

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      Whatever this new hub does, I just hope that it is free as I am not prepared to pay sly for a router / modem that they insist I use.

I currently use my own router, and appreciate it is not officially allowed.

dog-man
      Hi Dog-Man

its very likely to be free to new customers, but current customers will have to buy it, if the last hub is anything to go by then they may sell 'cheap' @ 40 for a couple of months then stick it up to 70 after...
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast