Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is there a way to automatically reboot Sky Hub 101 at a pre set time

This is a discussion on Is there a way to automatically reboot Sky Hub 101 at a pre set time within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have the Sky Hub 101. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or an application that would ...

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Is there a way to automatically reboot Sky Hub 101 at a pre set time

I have the Sky Hub 101.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or an application that would allow me to set a time so that I could get my router to reboot in the early hours, normally in the early hours the noise margin is at its highest, and rebooting at this time would give me as higher downstream speed as possible.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Is there a way to automatically reboot Sky Hub 101 at a pre set time

Aside from staying up late one night, you could use something like this:
      mains timer

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

With Sky's new DLM software, which resets during the early hours, I would be surprised if this makes such a huge difference that it once did.

Remember that the DLM process can interpret frequent disconnections as a line fault and reduce the speed as a direct result. Also the updates for the router tend to be targeted during the early hours.

You may wish to fit a timer switch if it means that much to you though. I would suggest an off time between midnight and 1am purely on the basis of the times when I have seen lines reset and firmware updates. This in contrary to the best times for what you are trying to achieve though. These times clash with the DLM and update times.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks both for the help.

I think I might have a timer switch/plug somewhere, I used it on a table lamp while I was away once.

Since the last firmware update on my Sky Hub my downstream speed has dropped from 18930 to 18423 kbps. I was just curious if I rebooted in the early hours when the noise margin is usually at its highest if I could get the downstream back up to what it was before the firmware update.

Haggistech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alloa
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you get a digital timer plug you can set it to go off just for 1 min instead of 1 hour

Thanks

No problem.

Just in case, the current firmware which you should have or will get soon is '1.15j.2639.R' aka '2639'. This is being rolled out at the present time.

Another thing to note is with regards to Fibre. A lot of people have previously noted a drop in their connection speed whilst Fibre was being installed in their local area. If this is the case, then you may find like I experienced, that the speed will periodically go up and down prior to Fibre going live.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No problem.

Just in case, the current firmware which you should have or will get soon is '1.15j.2639.R' aka '2639'. This is being rolled out at the present time.

Another thing to note is with regards to Fibre. A lot of people have previously noted a drop in their connection speed whilst Fibre was being installed in their local area. If this is the case, then you may find like I experienced, that the speed will periodically go up and down prior to Fibre going live.
      Thanks again Scubbie.

I managed to find a timer plug, although I haven't been able to pick the best time where the noise margin is at its highest judging by my downstream speed, not sure which would be the best time to set on my timer plug to achieve this?

The firmware version I have is 1.15j.2639.R. I have my Line Rental and calls with BT and not Sky (not sure if this makes a difference about when you mentioned Fibre?). I got Sky Broadband Unlimited a few years ago when it was possible to keep the line with BT and get the broadband with Sky.

I know my router rebooted itself a few weeks ago and I expect this was because of the firmware update that it now has, and its since then that I've noticed the lower downstream speed.

I've just checked on Sam Knows for my exchange and it shows "FTTC status, RFS date set : 30/06/2013"

Thanks

The change in connection speeds when Fibre is being installed has been reported on various forums, not just here. I saw it too on my own connection but at least I knew what was happening.

Essentially it is affecting people on all ISPs as BTO push the Fibre cables into the narrow conduits.

I am guessing but I suspect that with the cables squeezed more tightly together the cross-talk of the various signals (ADSL, ADSL2+ & VDSL) is causing the speeds to be affected.

You have the current firmware on the Sky Hub SR101, so this isn't a worry at present.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again Scubbie