Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Hub and Sagem 2504N Fibre as "extender"?

This is a discussion on Sky Hub and Sagem 2504N Fibre as "extender"? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have upgraded to Sky Hub on the supposition WiFI would be improved but sadly not. WiFI is pretty good ...

leggie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Hub and Sagem 2504N Fibre as "extender"?

I have upgraded to Sky Hub on the supposition WiFI would be improved but sadly not. WiFI is pretty good in some areas of the house and I can get high thirties on both laptops and iPad. However my Desktop is upstairs away from the hub and with no suitable free power points near it so Ethernet direct or by Powerline is not a solution. Currently I'm using an internal board (TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Adapter) in the PC to connect via wi-fi. It works but is a bit unstable and dosn't provide the speeds I can get elsewhere in the house.

Is there a way I can utilise my redundant 2540 as some sort of "extender" connecting it to Desktop PC via Ethernet and then connecting to the new Sky Hub (and therefore the internet) by wi fi?

I'm not that technical but have given it a go following some instructions on here about connecting two routers together but after I changed the IP of the 2504N to 192.168.0.250 I can no longer access it via IE9 and it dosn't provide Internet access either. Even if this will work should I expect an improvement on speeds?

Thanks for your patience (in advance but probably necessary :D )

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Thanks

Re: Sky Hub and Sagem 2504N Fibre as "extender"?

Quote Originally Posted by leggie View Post
      However my Desktop is upstairs away from the hub and with no suitable free power points near it so Ethernet direct or by Powerline is not a solution.
      I'm assuming your desktop has power?! Many of these powerlines have a mains pass-through now, so you could plug one of those in the wall and then plug your remaining power cables/extensions in to that.

Have you tried another browser to access the admin site?

RADZ1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      powerlines have a mains pass-through now.
      Stupid me. I had discarded Powerlines because my PC and associated extras like printer etc all run off an 8 way surge protected power extension coming from a single wall socket. A pass through Powerline would indeed be worth a try. All I need to do now is find one compatable with the four I've already got. (all non pass through unfortuneately)

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Thanks

Whilst they are all meant to be interoperable (as long as they're not 85Mbps ones), I've found it's best to stick with the same manufacturer or at least the same chipset.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quick note: Some members have previously reported issues with setting up the Sagem 2504N when is is not connected to the Internet. If yours is the ADSL only version, consider installing mrmt32's beta firmware or follow one of his links to install the most recent public firmware release.

You should then be able to connect it to the BTO Modem, give it Internet access and make the suitable changes.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You should then be able to connect it to the BTO Modem, give it Internet access and make the suitable changes.
      Thanks. Go slow with me please I'm not that technical. My 2504N is my old "fibre" version which I was using before upgrading tom the Hub. Are you saying hard wire it to Openreach box as before (effectively returning to old config). Then access maintenance page and disable DHCP and change IP to *.*.*.250 save then close. Then re-attach Hub to Openreach and attach 2504 to PC via ethernet. Then Modems should "talk" via wi fi?

Thanks in advance

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Yep, but the routers will not talk to each other via WiFi, only Ethernet cable.

Follow the guide which RADZ1973 linked to above, but with the Sagem 2504N connected with an Ethernet cable to the BTO Modem first.

Once you have made all the changes, connect the Sky Hub SR101 to the BTO Modem. Connect the Sagem 2504N to the Sky Hub SR101 with a short Ethernet cable and check that everything works.

Then you are free to move the Sagem 2504N to where you intend to use it and use either a long Ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You might not need to reconnect the Sagem to make any changes, try plugging it straight into your PC first to make the changes. If that does not work, fall back on reconnecting it.

Remember to stay in touch with the router after you change its address you wil have to give your PC an address in its range. I would suggest you check the address its being given by the Hub, (probably 192.168.0.2 if it is the first device plugged in) make that the fixed address in the PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.