Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is new Sky Hub router any good?

This is a discussion on Is new Sky Hub router any good? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just been having a look on the Sky website and they describe the new Sky Hub router in glowing terms. ...

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Just been having a look on the Sky website and they describe the new Sky Hub router in glowing terms. I have the Sagem router and the wireless coverage is very weak so I am using homeplugs to reach parts of the house where the wifi doesn't reach. I have been checking my speed recently and it is so variable - it goes from 1.5Mb to 9Mb where the Sky estimate was 9 to 16 Mb. Would there be any benefit in switching to the new Hub? I wasn't thinking of paying for one, hust hoping to phone up and talk my way in to a free one!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Is new Sky Hub router any good?

If you have the old G Sagem, then it would be worth swapping over to the new hub, but not at the price they want to charge. If you have the newer N Sagem, there is little difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you have the old G Sagem, then it would be worth swapping over to the new hub, but not at the price they want to charge. If you have the newer N Sagem, there is little difference.
      I agree with that too. From what I've seen it's not worth upgrading from the Sagem 'N' router.

BTW, your fluctuating line speed will not be affected by changing the router. you may want to look in to the times when the speed fluctuates to see if there are any external factors (interference) affecting the speed.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

As has been mentioned by both mattan and Tom, the router should be fine. Your profile indicates that you have the older Sagem 2504, which is a 'WiFi g' router. The Sky Hub SR101 is a 'WiFi n' router.

However it is likely that you actual problem is related to your connection, not the router. How are you coming to the conclusion that your connection speed is fluctuating by so much as such a large change is unusual.

BTW: I think that FTTC may be available in your area, at least it is available in some areas near to you. If you are considering upgrading to SFU, then you would be supplied a new Sky Hub SR101.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. It does look as if I have the G router so it might be worth trying to blag a new Hub. I'm not sure what I should be looking for in terms of interference in terms of the connection speed? I would love to get Fibre but as we will be moving out temporarily in the next few months (subsidence!) so it's not a good time to pursue it.

Thanks

It may help if you could post your router's connection stats please:

How to get your Sky Router statistics

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Hi, my router statistics are as follows

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
      Connection Speed12286 kbps1025 kbps
      Line Attenuation28.0 db12.6 db
      Noise Margin5.9 db7.7 db

I don't know where the 12286 Kbps comes from as I don't near this.

Thanks

Thank you for that.

My fault for not asking, but could you also post the information which was above those figures please?

As a little tip, could you click the 'A/A' symbol too to place the text box into 'WYSIWYG' mode. You may find it easier to paste the information across.

This additional information contains the 'up times' for your router and it's connections.

At the same time could you also describe for us how you are performing the speed tests (i.e. Ethernet, WiFi, HomePlugs, Laptop) and which site you are using.

Thanks

Couldn't quite get it to work but hopefully this gives you the right statistics. I'm very grateful for your help with this.

System Up Time: 119:40:00

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2853378 4871779 0 10022 13071 24:31:47
      LAN 21068457 11871884 0 0 14838 119:33:54
      WLAN 673288 166271 0 634 0 47:23:31
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12286 kbps 1025 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 db 12.6 db
      Noise Margin 5.7 db 7.7 db

In answering your questions about how I'm performing the speedtest has me wondering now. The statistics I've given above are from the Sky router itself but the speed test I am running via Speedtest.net is testing the connection run through the homeplug to a different room. Presumably I need to find the statistics from the homeplug but I am having difficulty working out how to do this as I have had the homeplug for a while and can't remember how to do it. I want to change the channel it's running on so I'll have to find out.

Incidentally, by Murphy's law, the connection has been a lot more consistent at around 9Mbs since I started this thread!
      At the same time could you also describe for us how you are performing the speed tests (i.e. Ethernet, WiFi, HomePlugs, Laptop) and which site you are using.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooops that didn't quite work as it should but hopefully the statistics are all there.

Thanks

That information is excellent.

HomePlugs are a really useful product, but when it comes to high performance they are not always there. Different environmental factors can influence the speed.

Could I ask you to run some speed tests by connecting directly with the router via an Ethernet cable? Disconnect the HomePlug from the router at the same time please. Some members found with their Fibre connections that theirs affected things in a handful of cases.

As for test site, with the Speedtest.net site, could you try a variety of servers. Not all are the same and it pays to check individual sites at least three times. Also why not use the speedtester available on this forum?