Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky Hubs bought on ebay...

This is a discussion on New Sky Hubs bought on ebay... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, just a quick one. I bought a Brand new Sky Hub from ebay for 35.00 the other day ...

j0n35y is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Post New Sky Hubs bought on ebay...

Hi guys, just a quick one. I bought a Brand new Sky Hub from ebay for 35.00 the other day and it arrived this morning. Ive plugged it in, expecting to have to enter my username and password somewhere and its connected fine without any details needed. Is this normal? Im just worried its using the sellers username and password, if thats possible?

Thanks

Allan

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: New Sky Hubs bought on ebay...

The Sky routers all have their own login details, these are unique to the router, not the user. There is a chance that the seller has extracted the login details for use in his own router. If he has and it causes any problems I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. As you own the router if there is ever a clash of login details a call to Sky will get the other user kicked off as they can check that you are actually using the router. For this reason, anyone selling their router to make a few bucks is an idiot, they could end up having to buy another one to get on line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, thx for the reply. I did think it was weird that it worked straight away. The seller had just signed up to sky and wanted to keep using his old router so he sold the sky one they sent him. Router was still in plastic and looked untouched in packaging, but he could still have plugged it in I guess. The Sky hub is only temporary, I was using the Asus n55u but had so much trouble I had to send it back. Gonna stick with the Sky Hub until a decent AC wireless router is released.

Also noticed there's an update for the Hub but cant find the firmware, read it will do it automatically in time. Is this correct?

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Also noticed there's an update for the Hub but cant find the firmware, read it will do it automatically in time. Is this correct?
      Yes, all Sky routers are updated automatically as and when the new firmware is released.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, just to say it must have updated last night automatically, not sure whats changed or been fixed. Any idea?

Also Ive noticed the wifi isnt amazing, considering they were bigging it up in their site. Even my 25 Buffalo router had better coverage. I've set up an access point and every seems ok so far, router seems stable and connects slightly higher than before which is a plus. Only time will tell I guess.

Allan

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The firmware update you received should have brought it in line with the current release. It was for a variety of stability and bug fixes. No additional features or anything like that.

The WiFi side is a mixed picture. Sky's test probably favoured what most people will get when they purchase a new Laptop. Most Laptops have adaptors which will only connect at 72mbps on a router which uses a single channel like the Sky Hub SR101 does. This includes those supplied by other ISPs such as BT & TalkTalk, although the TalkTalk router can be set up to use a paired channel it defaults to a single channel.

If you connect the same new Laptops to a router which uses a paired channel, then you could connect at up to 150mbps.

In addition, Sky has worked hard to develop a new system to monitor the airwaves in order to spot the quietest WiFi channel. If left on Auto the Sky Hub SR101 will automatically change to the best channel, as do other routers. However the method has been improved and from my own experience, it has worked well.

As for throughput, using my Laptop which connects at 144mbps to the Sky Hub SR101, I've been able to have a sustained figure of around 80mbps.

Signal strength wise, I found that it compared well to my Netgear WNDR3800, which in turn compared well to the Netgear DGND3700. It also compares well to the BT HomeHub v2.

Each of these components should be considered together, not individually. It is no good having a strong signal if you can't connect as a fast speed and in turn get a good throughput. With some areas having a high density of competing users for the same channels, the ability for the router to find the best channel I believe has helped to reduce some of the volume of posts on this topic.

Sky are also trying to get the Sagem 2504N to support the same WiFi channel search function. I don't know what the actual cause of the bug in the most recent firmware is caused by, but I was able to mention this new feature.

If they are able to do this successfully, then there will be very little functional difference between the Sagem 2504N and the Sky Hub SR101.

P.S. Sorry for the long answer. Many of us would love to have had a router which can support 1Gbit LAN and 300mbps WiFi (or faster). Signal strength is pretty close to the UK's legal maximum. The USA allows for a stringer signal, but this causes more problems in their towns & cities where there is a high density of Internet subscribers.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

j0n35y (16-02-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for the information. The wifi isnt as bad as originally thought, I always leave my routers on auto as there's so many wireless connections around me. I did have a dual band Asus n55u and the wifi was excellent but the 5ghz band wasn't great at distance. Plus the router had so many problems I had to send it back. Still pretty impressed with the skyhub, but its early days.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The nature of the 5GHz frequency does mean that it does not travel as well as the 2.4GHz frequency. I am sure a radio ham could explain things better than I can, so I won't attempt to.

I think that all of us would have loved to see a WiFi which runs at up to 300mbps on the Sky router and 1Gbit Ethernet ports. The lack of these features does mean that Sky will have to develop another router which can work with an FTTP product. Until someone hears of one, I guess it is safe to say that Sky are not in a position to launch the product.

One reason provided to me for why Sky & BT only support up to 144mbps on a single channel is that the spectrum is too heavily populated in many areas. If they were to use paired channels the spectrum would be considerably harder to work with.

With the 5GHz frequency the spectrum has considerably more channels available and they are better spaced out so as to reduce the overlap areas. Already a handful of routers are available which support 1.3GBit WiFi speeds. It will be a matter of a couple of years before Laptops are supplied on a regular basis with adaptors which support these speeds though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms