Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Hub: setting schedules and parental controls.

This is a discussion on Sky Hub: setting schedules and parental controls. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there. I used to have the BT Homehub which was excellent for setting schedules: you could set as many ...

GuitarJammin'76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Hub: setting schedules and parental controls.

Hi there.

I used to have the BT Homehub which was excellent for setting schedules: you could set as many as you wanted, and for as many machines as you wanted. I moved over to Sky because of numerous connection problems with BT. However, Sky's scheduling options are rubbish. You can only have a grand total of one (1) schedule. I no longer have the BT HomeHub.

My question concerns the new Sky Hub. Does it have similar scheduling software to the BT Homehub, so I can for example set a laptop to time out from 7-8pm and then time back in until 10pm, while having a completely different schedule for a separate PC, Xbox 360 or PS3?

How much would it cost to upgrade to the Sky Hub? As well as that, is the Sky Hub a significantly better router than the Sagem one they used to ship - would it provide a better connection overall? And does it have the latest WPA2 security? One last thing: is it available in black instead of white?

Thanks in advance.
      CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz
      GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850 1gb
      RAM: Corsair 4gb DDR2
      O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Hub: setting schedules and parental controls.

Sadly this is one area where the BT HomeHub is far better that what any of the Sky routers can offer. IIRC the Netgear routers are just the same when it comes to the schedule feature. I don't have much current personal experience of any others.

Sky currently likes people to use the McAfee Parental Controls software available from here:

McAfee Parental Controls | Sky Help

Personally I would prefer to have the router to be set up with all these controls instead. I have added quite a few sites to the 'Blocked Sits List' and this now helps to stop many naughty advertisers from hijacking my browsers and that of anyone who is visiting too.

The latest Netgear routers with the Netgear Genie firmware have the ability to use the OpenDNS Parental controls. You could use one of these if you were so inclined. By using Tom's guide to link the Cable router to your existing Sky router via it's WAN port, the Netgear router would control your home network and could utilise the OpenDNS parental controls.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

puppet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Have to admit, I do miss the ability to set up multiple SSIDs, like I could do on my old Netgear.

Was handy having a permanently on network for me and my wife to use, and then another which was on a schedule for the kids to use. Was fun knowing that at 9pm, or whenever, they were going to go ballistic when their wifi cut off, lol!
      Last edited by puppet; 08-02-13 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks

pmsl - that sounds like fun.

Of course a similar result could be achieved with the help of a WiFi Extender and the use of a timer switch.

Who said that I was evil?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

puppet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Yes, I daresay I could.

Much as I cannot knock the reliability of my SR101 so far, it's been absolutely rock solid for the last couple of months, there is simply no denying that it is sadly lacking in features for anybody other than your average Joe Bloggs users.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sadly this is one area where the BT HomeHub is far better that what any of the Sky routers can offer. IIRC the Netgear routers are just the same when it comes to the schedule feature. I don't have much current personal experience of any others.

Sky currently likes people to use the McAfee Parental Controls software available from here:

McAfee Parental Controls | Sky Help

Personally I would prefer to have the router to be set up with all these controls instead. I have added quite a few sites to the 'Blocked Sits List' and this now helps to stop many naughty advertisers from hijacking my browsers and that of anyone who is visiting too.

The latest Netgear routers with the Netgear Genie firmware have the ability to use the OpenDNS Parental controls. You could use one of these if you were so inclined. By using Tom's guide to link the Cable router to your existing Sky router via it's WAN port, the Netgear router would control your home network and could utilise the OpenDNS parental controls.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html
      Interesting: I didn't know that McAfee Parental Controls enabled you to set different time limits for different days - I'm sure it didn't last time I looked, because I was aware of it before. Odd. Of course, it can't do anything about the Xbox 360 but it's better than nothing: I can keep the Sky's schedule for the Xbox 360 and use the McAfee one for the PC. Thanks guys.

Note to Sky: Take a leaf out of the BT HomeHub's book!

Edit: So is the router any better than the Sagem one performance wise? One other thing: can I control McAfee Parental control limits from my PC? Presumably it has to be downloaded on all PCs that it's going to be used for?

Thanks

I know that the offering from Sky is quite limited.

As previously mentioned I too prefer many of the controls to be in the router. With the explosion of Smart Phones, Tablets, games consoles, TVs and Blu-Rays which can all connect to the Internet and many more devices, Sky's current offering IMHO is severally lacking.

I have never needed to use the McAfee Parental Controls so I do not know what it does and does not offer.

As for the Sky Hub otherwise, it does IMHO compare favourably with the Sagem 2504.

Sagem 2504 Sagem 2504N Sky Hub SR101
      Wireless WiFi g (54mbps) WiFi N (144mbps) WiFi N (144mbps)
      Signal Strength Fine Comparable to other WiFi N routers Comparable to other WiFi N routers
      Ethernet 10/100mb 10/100mb 10/100mb
      PSU External 12v External 12v Internal
      Manufacturer Sagem Sagemcom Sky
      General reliability Has some PSU issues. Otherwise quite stable Launched August 2011. Has been quite stable. A couple of bad firmware updates have been withdrawn. Fix being made Launched last September. Is proving to be quite stable. A few minor bugs are being addressed in beta

I hope this helps.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

One other thing: can I control McAfee Parental control limits from my PC? Presumably it has to be downloaded on all PCs that it's going to be used for?
      No, it must be installed on the users PC. That in my opinion is its greatest weakness. It must be installed with Administrator privileges and these privileges would have to be taken away from the user, or they could simply disable it. I can't see many teenagers being happy about that.

Although it will not block particular PCs or by schedule, if you have a young family you should consider OpenDNS parental controls, this prevents access to dubious sites. Unfortunately it must be set up on the router, which might not be possible with Sky's firmware.
      OpenDNS - Parental Controls: Block Adult Internet sites at Home

PS - I don't think the Hub is worth anything like the 70 they are asking for it. You can get a much better 3rd party router for that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No, it must be installed on the users PC. That in my opinion is its greatest weakness. It must be installed with Administrator privileges and these privileges would have to be taken away from the user, or they could simply disable it. I can't see many teenagers being happy about that.
      Which makes it a waste of time in my opinion.

As to the Sky Hub - 70? I don't think so - what a rip off! I mean, if it had some decent scheduling options then it would be worth it but as it is, I won't bother.