Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Identifying Username and Password on a Sky D-Link Router

This is a discussion on Identifying Username and Password on a Sky D-Link Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello there, I have a D-Link router from Sky. Up until recently we've been happy to put up with the ...

emsyw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Identifying Username and Password on a Sky D-Link Router

Hello there,
      I have a D-Link router from Sky. Up until recently we've been happy to put up with the fact that the signal is not very strong, go more than 3 metres away and signal flits between zero and one bar and have to have the door open to the office etc. However we've decided that now is the time to invest in a new router, not realising that it is quite a lot trickier than when we were with another ISP.
      I have tried to find the Username and Password but I'm really not technical at all and quite frankly it is all way over my head! Is there anyone here who can help me please?
      Thanks in advance,
      Em

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Identifying Username and Password on a Sky D-Link Router

Hello emsyw,

There are three things which you need to do in order to use your own router. Alternatively there are a couple of alternative options which you may wish to consider.

Alternatives first:

• Get a WiFi Extender
      • Pair of HomePlugs (or length of Cat 5e Ethernet cable) with a Network Switch
      • Contact Sky and get a Sky Hub SR101

A WiFi Extender would be a good choice as you could then have it connected via an Ethernet cable to the Sky router. You can then position it virtually anywhere you like. Pick one which supports WiFi N and speeds of at least 300mbps to get the best of most equipment on the market today. If you don't want a length of Ethernet cable, consider a pair of HomePlugs.

This sounds complicated, but HomePlugs are quite easy to setup and other than changing the WiFi settings on the WiFi Extender, the rest is quite simple.

Alternatively by using a Network Switch, you can forget the WiFi and plug everything in your office in that instead. Again an Ethernet cable or pair of HomePlugs will be needed. If your budget allows, you can combine both the previous and this suggestion.

The Sky Hub SR101 is a WiFi N router and can be used instead of your D-Link router. The signal of a WiFi N router is much stronger than a WiFi g router (i.e. the D-Link) and also a little faster if your WiFi adaptor/s can support it. Currently Sky are selling the Sky Hub to existing customers for 69+postage. You may be able to get one cheaper on eBay.

Using your own router
      As mentioned earlier, there are 3 steps to this:

1. Get your Sky Router's log in details
      2. Purchase a suitable router with WiFi N (aim for at least 300mbps)
      3. Configure the new router

Getting the details is explained in this thread:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...-password.html

Which router to get is a big topic. Essentially you need one which works on ADSL2+ and is not a Cable router. If you were to get one which supports WiFi N and speeds of at least 300mbps. However now for a complicated bit...

Sky uses two different methods for connecting your router to their servers. The first is known as PPPoA and is supported on all the ADSL2+ routers sold in this country. The second is MER. Sky's version of MER is only supported by a handful of routers, one being the Billion 7800n router with the latest firmware. You will need to look at your D-Link router's 'Maintenance' page to see which you have. The Billion 7800n supports both PPPoA and Sky's MER.

Configuring a router isn't too complicated. The instructions should be supplied in the user guide with the new router. You will need to know what specific settings to use on the Sky connection though. For PPPoA:

VPI = 0
      VCI = 38
      VC-Mux

For the Billion 7800 please read this thread:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...w-working.html

You will also need to set up the WiFi too so that it is secure.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

emsyw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive reply!
      I think on reflection we will be going for a sky hub... I was concerned that it wouldn't improve the coverage, but I can see now that it is a much better option for someone of my (lack of) technical ability!
      Thanks again
      Em

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

No problem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms