Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DG834GTv1 I think my Modem has failed, Can it be repaired?

This is a discussion on DG834GTv1 I think my Modem has failed, Can it be repaired? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey peeps, I've not been on here for a Long time, but I need your assistance please, if possible. My ...

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Question DG834GTv1 I think my Modem has failed, Can it be repaired?

Hey peeps, I've not been on here for a Long time, but I need your assistance please, if possible.

My 5 yr old Netgear (sky) DG834GTv1 has served me well, but a few days ago, after I rebooted it, having noticed some slower than norm sync speeds, I could not re-sync. At boot, the "tick" LED on the front of my router flashes twice, but the "i" LED does not light at all. I think this is the fault condition for a failed modem, but I can't find anything to confirm this. Eveything else still works fine, just can't sync.

Sky have replaced my router with a Sagecom FAST 2504, but it's web based command console is so blinking slow, and I miss my Netgear router and I'm hoping I can get it fixed. Is it possible to replace the internal modem, or do you think that reflashing the firmware might fix it?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: DG834GTv1 I think my Modem has failed, Can it be repaired?

Tom's away at the moment, he's one of those who knows this router well. Personally I would suspect that if you don't know your electronics, then it is old and worn out and you might wish to get the new Sky Hub instead. See if you can get the Hub for the old price of 39.

Hopefully someone else can answer your question.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Hi there,

O.K. Thanks for your reply. TBH I've not opened up my DG834GT yet, so I'm not sure if the modem is removable from the rest of the main board, but I hope so. Since I've received the Sagecom F@ST 2504 router, do you think there is any chance sky would be willing to supply me with the Sky Hub that you mentioned? Though I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the extra cash, I'm thinking of moving to Virgin (a traitor, I know:-)) for TV and BB as I feel are taking the michael a bit, still charging an extra 10 per month for HD TV.

Thanks again!!

Regards
      MB

Thanks

Whilst I understand that VM can provide TV, phone and broadband, you don't have to have all three together, it you prefer the TV package. Also I know that Sky does charge an extra 10 per month for HD and they did drop the extra 10 for those who wanted HD on their multi-room STBs. Sky does however have over 60 HD channels available on their Sky+ HD & SkyHD STBs now.

There are other things which have been requested for the STB firmware and if Sky can incorporate many of these it will make VM's look rather pale.

As an alternative solution, have you considered upgrading to Sky Fibre? According to SamKnows FTTC is available in your area. This would guarantee a replacement router too as the Sagem 2504 doesn't work on Fibre. You'd instead be supplied the Sky Hub SR101 for the cost of postage. I would also phone the order through and try to negotiate with the person to get the Installation fee (50) waived.

Thanks

Hi, Thanks again for your reply. You've given me plenty of food for thought. I'll need to do some more googling about Sky Fibre. I am fully aware of what the technology is, I used to work for a company that built Fibre channel data cabinets for HP. but I'd need to know how they have terminated it into the home, and what impact that will have on the current set up I have.

My home is cable networked, with my router located up stairs, with CAT5e from the master socket, running up inside the wall. This set up works great for me right now, but does not lend itself to changing to the likes of VM since that's supplied via a terminal box and co-axial cable.

I have opened up my DG834GT and the modem is not removable. There is a possibilty that an internal SMT fuse has blown on the main board where the the asdl socket is located. but it's a bit of a long shot.

Like I said, I'll need to do some more research. I'f you happen to know of any links that might provide the info I'm looking for, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks!!

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Sounds like your set up will work fine with sky fibre.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrfer View Post
      Sounds like your set up will work fine with sky fibre.
      Agreed.

Could I also suggest a read of out FAQ: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...dband-faq.html

It should answer many of your questions.

The main difference is that instead of using the VM Modem and router, you will have a BTO Modem and the Sky Hub SR101. If you are worried about IP Address ranges, you can change them on the Sky Hub SR101, just in the same way as any other Sky router.

Since you actually have a Cat 5e cable installed, and assuming that this is a network cable not telephone extension, it would be fine to place the Sky Hub in either location (i.e. by the Modem or upstairs).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Agreed.

Could I also suggest a read of out FAQ: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...dband-faq.html

It should answer many of your questions.

The main difference is that instead of using the VM Modem and router, you will have a BTO Modem and the Sky Hub SR101. If you are worried about IP Address ranges, you can change them on the Sky Hub SR101, just in the same way as any other Sky router.

Since you actually have a Cat 5e cable installed, and assuming that this is a network cable not telephone extension, it would be fine to place the Sky Hub in either location (i.e. by the Modem or upstairs).
      O.K. thanks!!

Umm, Here's the thing though. I have no telephone ext cable in my wiring set up. even the short cable straight from the drop cable to the master socket is cat5e. My adsl line to my router is connected via the screw terminals inside the master socket, not the IDC connections and therefore (AFAIK) by passes the master sockets ringer circuit. The router end of the cable is connected to a RJ11 modular socket (I think it may have some sort of filter built into it, I can't remember now, it was fitted 5 years ago, I'm not sure about that, it would'nt need a filter, would it?)

I believe that the master socket has to be changed for some reason when upgrading to sky fibre. Can you tell me why? Different filtering required? Also, Is there any reason why the modem must be placed beside the master socket? I'd prefer for that to be upstairs beside the hub, but if a different filter is required then I'v got a problem, since the RJ11 socket I'm using is a small, modular one.

Thanks again!!

Thanks

From what you are describing it sounds like you have wired your ADSL cable directly to the faceplate of the Master Telephone socket. Whilst I would not normally recommend this, it will work perfectly well.

Why would I not normally recommend it? If you use the telephone, then that is what actually needs to be filtered. From what I have learnt the ADSL signal itself is filtered out from the telephone signal and the voice signal would be filtered out from the ADSL signal so as not to interfere.

With FTTC, BTO use a VDSL filtered faceplate. This filters the signals far better than the ADSL filters. A short cable would then be used to connect between the Modem socket to the BTO Modem.

Since the cable between the Modem and the Sky Hub SR101 is an Ethernet cable, you can have anything up to 100m between the two.

As a part of the installation process for FTTC, the BTO Engineer can make up a suitable cable between the socket and the Modem which can be up to 30m long using Cat 5e Ethernet cable. Personally I would prefer to keep my link between the Modem and the cabinet as short as possible as the potential speed would drop, others have been happy with this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      From what you are describing it sounds like you have wired your ADSL cable directly to the faceplate of the Master Telephone socket. Whilst I would not normally recommend this, it will work perfectly well.

Why would I not normally recommend it? If you use the telephone, then that is what actually needs to be filtered. From what I have learnt the ADSL signal itself is filtered out from the telephone signal and the voice signal would be filtered out from the ADSL signal so as not to interfere.

With FTTC, BTO use a VDSL filtered faceplate. This filters the signals far better than the ADSL filters. A short cable would then be used to connect between the Modem socket to the BTO Modem.

Since the cable between the Modem and the Sky Hub SR101 is an Ethernet cable, you can have anything up to 100m between the two.

As a part of the installation process for FTTC, the BTO Engineer can make up a suitable cable between the socket and the Modem which can be up to 30m long using Cat 5e Ethernet cable. Personally I would prefer to keep my link between the Modem and the cabinet as short as possible as the potential speed would drop, others have been happy with this.
      O.K. Thank you very much, you have cleared up my concerns and I'm fairly sure I can adapt my current set up to work just fine, and have my modem up stairs. I find I get exactly the same results (sync speed, line attenuation etc) when I connect vie either the master socket, or my socket up stairs. So I am confident that I will not loose out by having my BTO modem upstairs.

Thanks again!!

Regards
      MB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast