Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Cannot connect to Sky Hub higher than 72Mbps - D-Link DWA-131

This is a discussion on Cannot connect to Sky Hub higher than 72Mbps - D-Link DWA-131 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just had Sky Fibre Unlimited installed earlier this week and received the SR101 hub. It is definitely broadcasting in 144Mbps ...

rodhull is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Cannot connect to Sky Hub higher than 72Mbps - D-Link DWA-131

Just had Sky Fibre Unlimited installed earlier this week and received the SR101 hub.

It is definitely broadcasting in 144Mbps mode (as confirmed by inSSIDer) but I cannot connect faster than 72Mbps (which gives a "real world" downstream speed of ~25Mbps, so not even as fast as the fibre itself ).

I have the following adapter (D-Link DWA-131) D-link Wireless N Usb Nano Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories in a laptop running 64-bit Win7 Home Premium.

I'm pretty sure this is the same USB adapter that Sky sell you (pictures look identical) but I just bought it from Amazon since I have Prime and it was less than 14...

The chipset it uses is a Realtek RTL8192SU which according to the specs ought to be able to DEFINITELY cope with 144Mbps (the specsheets say it can even do 300Mbps if you have a suitable router) but I just cannot seem to get it to connect higher to the SR101. I've tried both the driver on the D-Link website and the latest one direct from Realtek both to no avail. There are no options in the adapter device settings apart from "Beacon Interval" and "Mode" (allowing switching between b, b/g or b/g/n).

I've made sure there are no other devices (phones etc.) connecting at "g" speeds - the laptop also has a built-in "n" adapter which I've already disabled following testing since I know it cannot cope with speeds higher than 72Mbps (it has a Ralink RT3090 chipset) - hence why I bought the D-Link!

Can anyone help? I really want to be able to max out the wireless to get me to speeds at least as fast as the downstream fibre is giving me (synced with the exchange at the full 40Mbps - the Openreach cabinet is only about 50m away from the house)...

Has anyone else used this adapter successfully at 144Mbps in this way, or do I need to return it and get another? Recommendations gratefully received!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Cannot connect to Sky Hub higher than 72Mbps - D-Link DWA-131

The first thing I did was to look at the specs for this USB adaptor. They confirm that 300mbps should be supported.

Can I suggest that you contact D-Link's technical support on this issue? The full specs for the Sky Hub SR101 are in the Articles (see link above) should you need them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'll give it a go but I'm not holding out much hope unless they can tell me of a hidden reg. entry or similar that magically turns on the 144Mbps setting...

Thanks

In the article is also the chipset for the Sky Hub's WiFi. This might help too if the is a compatibility issue.

Specifications of the Sky Hub SR101

Both devices claim to be WiFi N compliant. Obviously one is not performing correctly. There is a certificate which has been issued for the Sky Hub SR101. I haven't checked to see if this is the case for the D-Link DWA-131. Do check that you have the latest driver too (1.21 for Windows, 1.96 for Mac OS 10.7):

D-Link | DWA-131 Wireless N Nano USB Adapter

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your advice. The 1.21 driver you pointed to on the US site is more recent than the 1.20 one on the UK site. However neither are as recent as the underlying chipset driver (which is actually being installed) on the Realtek site.

However, I uninstalled it and tried the 1.21 version - this time selecting to use the D-Link management tool (rather than the Windows one) - something strange is shown (ignore the discrepancy in channel - I was changing it manually and didn't refresh the lower pane).

This shows Tx and Rx values - are these for the adapter or router? It's difficult to tell - if it is the adapter, then I am receiving at 144Mbps (and Windows is simply displaying the lowest common denominator since the connection is asynchronous). However this doesn't correlate to the Internet speed tests I've been carrying out where I'm at or below 20Mbps downstream whilst connected wirelessly. With ethernet, I can get to ~33 or thereabouts.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannot connect to Sky Hub  higher than 72Mbps - D-Link DWA-131-capture.jpg  

Thanks

I would suggest that they are for the adaptor.

I saw another adaptor the other day which transmitted at a slower rate than it received.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK then - so assuming it is receiving at ~144Mbps then the "real world" speeds are really shockingly poor!

I wouldn't be surprised if the networking hardware inside the SR101 isn't up to all that.

Coincidentally, my 200Mbps (yeah, right - they have 10/100 blocks in them!) powerline adaptors seem to have also taken a bit of a nosedive in performance now one is plugged into the SR101 (compared to my ancient Linksys WAG54GS which I was using for ethernet switching and ADSL2+ before the fibre was installed). I used to get ~40Mbps from the pair and this has now halved to 20Mbps - a comparable speed to which the wireless delivers...on the other hand, devices that are plugged directly into the SR101 via ethernet run at ~85Mbps which is acceptable...it's all a bit odd.

Thanks

Some members found that some HomePlugs reduced their connection speeds with Fibre. Could I ask that you try without them connected up for a couple of tests?

Just for clarity, the affect was present even when the computer wasn't connected through the HomePlugs.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks but I think the Homeplug thing is a red herring. I haven't had them plugged in at all whilst doing these tests.

I just thought I'd revert to them to see how they compared to the poor wireless speed. In theory "n" wireless (even on a single channel) ought to be faster than ~40Mbps...

Thanks

No problem.

Thankfully I am in a position where I have been able to run Ethernet cable for most fixed things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast