Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Cannot connect to Sky Hub higher than 72Mbps - D-Link DWA-131

This is a discussion on Cannot connect to Sky Hub higher than 72Mbps - D-Link DWA-131 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Do you (or anyone else) have a recommendation for a tried/tested wireless N adapter that works at the maximum rate ...

rodhull is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Cannot connect to Sky Hub higher than 72Mbps - D-Link DWA-131

Do you (or anyone else) have a recommendation for a tried/tested wireless N adapter that works at the maximum rate the SR101 allows? Going to send this one back I think and try another (preferably with a different chipset).

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I know that this isn't the cheapest available, but it is one I have and have tried and tested on the Sky Hub SR101:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Rang...5433688&sr=8-1

When you install it, do not install the WiFi management program. Install the driver only.

Some people had issues with one recent version of the drivers. If you have a problem let me know as I have the older working version. The problem was when the driver was installed, the adapter wasn't found.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I was really looking for a "mini"-style one (plus one that also didn't have a Broadcom chipset since Linux has limited support for these chipsets - just in case I want to use it on any of my Linux devices) but definitely appreciate the suggestion. I'd usually go for a big brand name for these kinds of things but if anyone else is interested, I have actually found a very cheap mini one that works well and that I can recommend:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00858DGZA

It has a Realtek RTL8192CU chipset (2x2:2) and connects at a peak rate of 144.5Mbps using 20Mhz to the SR101 if close enough to the Hub. I do notice that this higher data rate seems much more affected by distance/interference than the 72Mbps band. The specs for the adapter (although I can't confirm this directly) also mention support for 300Mbps if using a compatible router (which the SR101 isn't) that also broadcasts on 40Mhz...
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

That looks a great little find.

It is questionable that such a small adaptor would be able to support a good signal at longer distances or through walls, but you might find that by using a short USB lead you may be able to improve things a little.

As for 300mb support, from what I have seen, it is likely to be fine. If the adaptor is rated 300 and connects at the full 144.5 (normally truncated to 144) then it should connect at the full 300mbps speed.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, I agree. Sadly I also don't think it's really up to the job of providing a sustained high rate due to its diminutive size. Our hub is in the living room, and there it's solid. Moving up into the back bedroom upstairs and the signal varies wildly - seemingly flitting between pretty much all the available speeds (right from as low as 7Mbps (!) through to the max). Conversely, the built-in card in the laptop in this location never seems to falter from 72Mbps (yet as I've said before, "real-world" speeds are what we're really interested in and these never seem to rise beyond 25Mbps upstairs).

Wired connections are really the way to go - now debating whether I'll see any improvement from a pair of "500Mbps" powerline adaptors over the "200Mbps" ones I already have - seeing as they all seem to have 10/100 blocks in them :S Are the "500Mbps" ones really any better does anyone know?

Thanks

My best tip, if it is possible, would be to put an Ethernet cable behind your wall or something and feed it up through the loft, if you can gain access.

You might be able to follow a similar route to your main TV Aerial.

If you were to use Cat 5e Ethernet cable, then it would be able to support up to 1Gbit speeds at a later date.

You can get suitable faceplates to make it tidier and then run a short lead from the router to the wall socket and another short lead in the 2nd room.

This option would also use less electric in the longer term.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12