Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please!

This is a discussion on Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys and girls, My first post on the forums and after some reading, I decided to join up! - ...

steviejones133 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wrexham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please!

Hi guys and girls,

My first post on the forums and after some reading, I decided to join up! - please go easy on a novice/new forum member

Also, apologies to the mods if this has already been covered or posted elsewhere.

Ok, so basically, been with Sky Unlimited Broadband now for a few months. I was initially provided with a Sagem F@ST 2504n router - which continually chose to drop signal and reset itself quite randomly. Long story short on this is that Sky sent me the "all singing and all dancing" new SR101, which arrived this morning. Note that I have not set it up yet.

My current download/upload speeds according to SpeedTest.net are averaging around 4 down / .68 up. This is not fantastic nor complete garbage, as far as I know.

Anyway, I digress.

Basically, I have the above Netgear WNDR 3700 lying around the house which is brand new/sealed still. I was going to use a stand alone modem along with this before I switched provider.

My initial questions would be:

1. Is it even feasible to use the SR101 in conjunction with the WNDR 3700? - I read a little about bridging, but TBH, I'm not all that up on it.
      2. If it is feasible, how would I go about doing this?
      3. Is there or would there be any real benefit it doing this anyway?

A bit of background:

I will be using wireless more or less 100% of the time with my laptop, hence wanting the best range and signal/speed possible with the current hardware I have. The wireless card in my lappy is a Bigfoot Killer N 1103 Mimo 3x3. Currently, when I open the Bigfoot network manager, I can see that the transmit/receive link speeds are both 144mbps. Wireless band is 2.4 Ghz.

Now, the WNDR 3700 supposedly offers up to 600mbps but I have no idea if my "proposed" plan of linking the two would get anywhere near that or wether or not it would be limited in any way by the SR101.

So, if any of you guys out there have any information, advice or how to's you would like to share, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance of any reply.
      Regards,
      Stevie

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      I'm not entirely sure that the above link is what I am looking to do. I want to bypass using the SR101 as a wireless router and use the "better" WNDR for my wireless. My limited knowledge of this means that I need to use the hub as just a modem and then hook up the Netgear to it.

I did read on these threads that I would have to re-configure the hub and turn off various settings and also then configure the netgear but I am unsure of how to do this, or if it indeed would work or be of any added benefit to simply using the hub on it's own.

I'd like to get a good idea of wether it will work or not before I tear open the packaging of the Netgear. If it won't work, I can probably sell it better as new and factory sealed, if you get me?

Thanks for the response though.....

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

In your case this method is probably better - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html It is the nearest you will come to using the Sky router as a modem only.

You can use the other method if you prefer, connecting to an ethernet port and using the Sky router as the DHCP server with its wireless disabled. You would then have the advantage of the Netgears better wireless and gigabit ports.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks, Tom.

I just want to get the best performance out of the two routers that I have. I take it that all of the menus that are shown in your guide for the D-Link will be configurable/shown on the WNDR 3700 setings menu's?

Having looked over your guide, point number 11 may prove a bit hard for me to do as I do not have another computer to plug in - just my lappy.

Regarding the actual wiring of your setup (leaving out the configurations for a moment) I presume I would end up with the SR101 plugged in to the master telephone socket and the WNDR 3700 connected to the SR101 via an Ethernet cable. WAN on WNDR 3700 and ANY? Ethernet port on the SR101? - would that make a difference?

Assuming that all goes well with the settings, does that then mean that the SR101 is no longer wireless and is just acting as a modem? - The Gigabit ports on the WNDR 3700....can I use them as they are designed to be used or would I have to use the other method to utilize them for that purpose?

Apologies for so many questions - as you can tell, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to setting this kind of thing up properly and I want to do it correctly. I wonder if anyone on the forum has this setup that I am trying to achieve.....

Thanks

If you use this method http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html you must connect any of the ethernet ports on the Sky router to any of the ethernet ports on the Netgear.

If you use this method http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html you connect any of the ethernet ports on the Sky router to the WAN port of the Netgear.

With both these methods you can use the ethernet ports on both routers, if you wish. With the first method all the ports are on the same network. With the second they are on different networks.

With both methods you can disable the wireless on the Sky router, or if it does not interfere just leave it on. Most find that if the routers are placed close together, you don't need it and in some cases will interfere so is better disabled.

Having looked over your guide, point number 11 may prove a bit hard for me to do as I do not have another computer to plug in - just my lappy.
      It does not have to be a different PC, the one you are using will do, it is purely to check that you are getting a connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

So, if I use either method, I can disable the SR101's wireless capabilities (if desired) by simply performing point number 10 on the "How to connect two Routers together" method in the SR101's settings set up? : You want to deselect the DHCP option and set the IP address to 192.168.0.250.

Is that all I would need to do or have I missed something else? - any particular stage I would do this at or can it be done anytime during the setup?

Thanks

You would disable the wireless by going into the Wireless Setup and unticking 'Enable wireless access point' or whatever term is used in the SR101

Using the "How to connect two Routers together" method you would disable the DHCP server in the Netgear. This has nothing to do with the wireless.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I think I follow that. If I use the D-Link method, I would disable "enable wireless access point" for the Sr101 but if I use the other method, I would disable DHCP in the netgear settings, right?

Both routers are gonna be sat side-by-side, incidentally.

So, out of the two proposed methods, which one would you go for if you were in my position with the hardware I have? - obviously they both seem to achieve the same goal (I think) but are there any drwabacks or pro's/con's to using one method over the other?

Also, you mentioned this:

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      In your case this method is probably better - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html It is the nearest you will come to using the Sky router as a modem only.

You can use the other method if you prefer, connecting to an ethernet port and using the Sky router as the DHCP server with its wireless disabled. You would then have the advantage of the Netgears better wireless and gigabit ports.
      If I use the D-Link method, does that mean that I do NOT have the advantage of the Netgears "better" wireless & Gigabit ports?
      Last edited by steviejones133; 23-11-12 at 06:29 PM.

technogeek101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hello,
      i also use the SR 101 which i have now recieved as i am now a sky customer as of today and have broadband up and running. I would like to use my netgear instead though, but cannot seem to generate a connection username and password with my mac address and wireless key, can anybody please help?
      thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast