Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please!

This is a discussion on Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; You don't want an ADSL cable, it has RJ11 plugs, you want RJ45 plugs. The one you link would be ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please!

You don't want an ADSL cable, it has RJ11 plugs, you want RJ45 plugs. The one you link would be fine, but it is a rip off, one like this would do the job just as well Duronic 5m Professional Gold Headed Network Cable - Black - High Speed Premium Quality Cat6 / Patch / Ethernet / Modem / Router / LAN: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories longer lengths are available at slightly more cost.

What Netgear do you have? If it is an ADSL type, you will not get Open WRT firmware for it. Piggy backing it on to the SR101 would give you some extra ports, but if it is a wireless G, in the same room the wireless would be poorer than the SR101s, so should be turned off to avoid interference. If you were to place it in a different room on the far side of your house, that would be a different story.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      steviejones133 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wrexham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi. Thanks for the rapid reply.

Regarding the ADSL cable, at the moment, that's how the BTO modem is connected to the faceplate I pictured. Are you saying that it shouldn't be an ADSL cable? - if so, how do I connect the BTO modem to the wall/Data extension faceplate? - on the rear of my BTO modem, I only have an ADSL port, LAN1 and LAN2 ( LAN2 is blanked off) and a BBU, which is also blanked off.

The BTO modem is currently connected via ADSL to the wall, LAN1 of the BTO modem connected to the SR101 via the white ethernet cable that came with the Sky Fibre Hub. Should the LAN1 of BTO modem be connected to the data extension faceplate via RJ45 Ethernet cable, and then unblank the LAN2 and connect that to the Sky Hub?

As for my Netgear, it's a WNDR 3700, which ashamedly, I never actually got around to incorporating into my old Sky Broadband setup.....so it's still sealed LOL. I'd like to avoid opening it if using it is going to be a pain in the rear.....in which case, I'd flog it as new/unopened

The 'basic plan' was to have all boxes neat and tidy near the desktop PC. If I could cut down on clutter (number of boxes) and also get better wireless range for when I'm using the laptop around the house, that would be beneficial. Of course, if using the WNDR 3700 is not going to do that, it's kind of pointless as my main desktop will be running wired, and I don't really need a plethora of ports...

Sorry for the ineptness of my understanding regarding connections!
      Last edited by steviejones133; 30-08-13 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks

You would not need to move the Modem, only the router. The shorter the ADSL connection is to the phone line the better. The length of the ethernet cable is irrelevant up to about 90 ms, so you have nothing to worry about there.

DD-WRT firmware is available for your router so you could use that instead of the SR101. It is a far superior router, being dual band and capable of 300Mb on both bands. It has a USB port for a printer or HDD and also has good parental controls, should that be required.

Netgear WNDR3700 - DD-WRT Wiki
      steviejones133 likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

steviejones133 (30-08-13)

Thanks

Ahhh, I see. So the modem stays connected via ADSL to the data extension faceplate - my bad. It could very well stay where it is, but ideally, I'd prefer it all over by the computer desk - that obviously means a longer ADSL cable if I am correct. Either that or move the Desk closer to the modem.

If I chose to move everything closer to the desk, via longer ADSL cable, are these 'high performance RJ11 cables' any good or is it just poppycock to flog an expensive cable that offers no improvement? - if I want the whole lot over by the desk, that's the only way I can think of doing it - with a longer ADSL cable.

Out of interest, if I do move the desk closer to the modem - meaning I need neither a new ADSL cable or a longer ethernet cable, is there any point in changing the standard ADSL cable to a 'better one' than it shipped with? - from recollection, the standard ADSL cable only has 2 pins connected when looking at the RJ11 plug - some of these 'better' cables offer 4 pins connected.....

Thanks

If I chose to move everything closer to the desk, via longer ADSL cable, are these 'high performance RJ11 cables' any good or is it just poppycock to flog an expensive cable that offers no improvement? - if I want the whole lot over by the desk, that's the only way I can think of doing it - with a longer ADSL cable.
      A long standard ADSL cable is made up of flat twin wire which is subject to interference. A high quality cable will be made up of twisted pair cable, usually screened, so it is less prone to interference. Up to a couple of metres long there will not be much difference. I used a 10 M cable similar to the one you linked to for a while when decorating. It was as good as the short plain cable.

ADSL only uses the centre pair of pins, so the outer pair are redundant. I don't know why they use 4 wire cable on the better quality, maybe to make it stronger and less liable to damage.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Okay, thanks!

Regarding the DD-WRT firmware that you kindly linked me to - is that all needs doing to enable me to ditch the SR 101? - are there any other steps that need doing to ensure compatibility with Sky's signal etc, or do I just flash the Netgear (I have a v2) with the correct FW and then just hook it up the same as I would have done the SR 101?

Just wondering if there is guide of some variety that gives a 'step by step' for lesser knowledgeable folk - like myself!

Thanks

You will have to extract the username and password from the SR101, instructions on that can be found here-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...hub-sr101.html

Instructions for flashing with DD-WRT can be found in the link to the firmware. There is also a tutorial here, which will also probably apply to your router.-
      Installing DD-WRT for Netgear N900 WNDR4500 Router Dragon Blogger Technology, Gaming and Entertainment Blog

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123