Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please!

This is a discussion on Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I think I follow that. If I use the D-Link method, I would disable "enable wireless access point" for the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Hub SR101 with Netgear N600 WNDR 3700? - advice for a noob please!

I think I follow that. If I use the D-Link method, I would disable "enable wireless access point" for the Sr101 but if I use the other method, I would disable DHCP in the netgear settings, right?
      That is correct.

So, out of the two proposed methods, which one would you go for if you were in my position with the hardware I have? - obviously they both seem to achieve the same goal (I think) but are there any drawbacks or pro's/con's to using one method over the other?
      The Dlink method gives you the advantage of having all 4 ethernet ports to use. Apart from that for the average user there is little difference.

If I use the D-Link method, does that mean that I do NOT have the advantage of the Netgears "better" wireless & Gigabit ports?
      Yes, you will still have full use of the wireless and 4 gigabit ports.

@technogeek101
      There are several threads dealing with this. This one in particular -

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...d-attempt.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

steviejones133 (24-11-12)

3. Advertisement
      technogeek101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

unfortunately from what i gather by eading that thread you gave me, there still doesn't seem to be a solution, so any more help would be greeatly appriciated. thanks for your help though!

steviejones133 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wrexham
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks again for all your help with this, Tom.

So, out of the two methods, if you had the hardware I have, which one would you go for?

Thanks

I have a DIR 635 connected to my network. This is similar to your Netgear and at first I had it connected using the WAN port which in effect creates a second network. The problem I found was that devices connected to different routers could not communicate with each other. As I have up to 3 PCs, a laptop, internet TV, Sky STB, an iPad, a NAS and a smart phone all connected it became a bit of a nuisance. I have a printer connected to my main PC which I use to print from all the devices and when they were on the opposite network, it would not work. Likewise I could not transfer files from one device to another without problems. In the end I changed it back to the ethernet to ethernet method so that al are now on the same network.

What I am trying to say is that it depends on your particular setup and what you want from it. If you have a lot of devices you want on the same network and have to use both routers, then ethernet to ethernet is better. If you just want to use the one router the ethernet to WAN is better. It does have one other advantage in that if you wished you could set up a guest wireless network based on the Sky router using the 2.4mhz band and have your Netgear as your private network using the 5mhz band. For this to work, all your devices would have to be capable of using the 5mhz band. It also has the advantage of having the full routing capabilities of the Netgear at you disposal. When you connect both using the ethernet ports, you are actually bypassing the router part of the second router and the device is simply a wireless switch.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I see. Well, in which case for me, I think the WAN setup would be the best. I don't have the need to connect that many devices right now. I will probably use the method you mentioned as it will fulfill all my needs - benefit of the Netgear's enhanced wireless and Gigabit ports will be enough for me and the SR101 will just be used as the "middle man", if you like, between the Internet and the WNDR 3700.

I've read a few things on the web about the firmware for the Netgear being user upgradeable. Not something I know a great deal about or even wether I should look into it further or if it is of any additional benefit.

Maybe best to keep things as simple as possible at this point!

EDIT: So, after completeing the setup, should I simply use the Netgear's Firewall as it would be configured automatically during the setup wizard when selected?
      Last edited by steviejones133; 24-11-12 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks

EDIT: So, after completeing the setup, should I simply use the Netgear's Firewall as it would be configured automatically during the setup wizard when selected?
      Yes, you must make sure it is properly configured, as when using the DMZ on the Sky router you are bypassing its firewall
      steviejones133 likes this.

TomD

Useful Utilites

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

steviejones133 (24-11-12)

Thanks

Just a couple of other noob questions that sprang to mind - before I start butchering things!

1. On point number 3 of your guide, remove the ethernet from the SR101 and plug it into the WNDR3700....this is presumably plugged into the WAN on the Netgear, right?. Also, I presume at this stage, the Netgear is just powered on and NOT connected to the telephone line - just the ethernet to the SR101?

2. Smart Wizard cd on the Netgear? - leave it in the box as a frisbee? - or do I run this after step 12 in your guide or should I just ignore it? - I'm thinking that the wireless functionality of the Netgear can be configured from within the settings by running the wireless setup wizard from there. I was just wondering if running the cd would configure things that needed to be be configured that may not have been covered in your guide?

Thanks in advance....as you can tell, I'm not a network engineer LOL!

Oh, and maybe you could recommend a good quality short Ethernet cable to hook the two up? - I don't fancy loads of cable slopping about the place.....
      Last edited by steviejones133; 25-11-12 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks

1. On point number 3 of your guide, remove the ethernet from the SR101 and plug it into the WNDR3700....this is presumably plugged into the WAN on the Netgear, right?. Also, I presume at this stage, the Netgear is just powered on and NOT connected to the telephone line - just the ethernet to the SR101?
      Ethernet would be fine. Don't connect it to the Hub at this stage.

2. Smart Wizard cd on the Netgear? - leave it in the box as a frisbee?
      I would, it will do no good.

Any short cable would do, I make my own. This one is pretty cheap and would do the job OK -
      Cat5e RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Cable UTP Lead 0.5M: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Useful Utilites

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

steviejones133 (25-11-12)

Thanks

Thanks, Tom. Think I'm good to go now. Thanks for all your help!

Thanks

Firstly, apologies for reviving an old thread. I thought it might be best to post here, given my thread has it's own little bit of 'history' behind it from a personal perspective.

Anyway, I've recently upgraded to Sky Fibre Unlimited (not Pro) on 27th August. Just have a few questions for the networking pro's here!. Just a little bit of info regarding my installation firstly.

So, the BTO engineer arrives (very nice young chap btw) and I had tea and biscuits to the ready as I was preparing to ask him to relocate my master phone socket into an adjacent room at the front of the property. My existing master was in the hall/porch of a 1930's semi, and I wanted it in the router in the front lounge next to where my desktop PC is going to live. As the line came to the front of the house, I thought this would be a relatively simple procedure.

As it turns out, he said he wasn't equipped to touch or relocate the existing copper line - he said that was another guys job. That kind of immediately stopped me in my tracks. He umm'd and ahh'd for a little bit and then said "What I can do for you is to run a Data Extension out the back of the new master socket, tack it externally around the front of the house, down the wall and into the front room through the wall and have it terminated with a faceplate - which is pretty much identical to this:

This seemed okay to me, as fortunately for me, I had a redundant TV coaxial faceplate that he could utilise - feed the cable through the existing hole in the wall and terminate it with the above plate in the room that I wanted my router in - even though it was not entirely in the exact position I wanted the router, as my Desktop PC is still across the other side of the room.

So, he carries out said work, installs the extension as described, and we hook up the BTO modem (adsl cable to the faceplate above) and Ethernet from that to the Fibre SR101. Great.

I've been testing speeds over the last few days and they appear pretty good. I'm currently using a Toshiba Z830 ultrabook with a Centrino 6230 card - I'm getting a solid 9Mbps upload on both wired and wireless connections. Download varies. Pretty high 37Mbps wired, but wireless obviously varies upon my location at that time. Close to router, I'm getting 32Mbps downstream and upload remains solid at 9Mbps. If I move to another room (bearing in mind the construction of my 1930's house is SOLID walls) those downstream figures drop (obviously) to around 25Mbps and upload remains at 9Mbps.

I'm pretty pleased thus far - as I believe the maximum I could expect was 40 down/10 up (probably based on a wired connection, too) so all in all I am very chuffed. The router shows it is connected at 40000/9996, btw....so I presume I am not losing any signal due to the length of the data extension, which is about 8-10m at a guess.

Anyway - questions!!

1. Ideally, I want to move the router/BTO modem across the room to my desktop to enjoy a wired connection. I'm not restricted by power sockets, so the way I see it is that I have two options. Extend the adsl cable that connects the BTO modem to the faceplate OR use a longer ethernet cable and leave the BTO modem where it is. Is one more advisable over the other?

2. These 'high performance' cables.....are they worthwhile? - been told that I can buy something like this: Ultra High Speed ADSL Cables : Modem Cables : Maplin Electronics - the 5m adsl cable will be sufficient for me to run around the room (where needed) under the carpet at the edges and will allow me to have all 'boxes' on my desk. The alternative, as far as I see it, is a longer ethernet cable and leave the boxes where they are, not on my desk or near the PC - maybe something like this: Buy SANDSTROM SCAT65M12 RJ45 to RJ45 CAT 6 Ethernet Cable - 5m | Free Delivery | Currys which I am sure can be bought cheaper than Curry's prices

3. Again, referring to the original purpose of this thread, I still have my Netgear......I was wondering if it is possible to use this with Sky Fibre - or if there will be much benefit in doing so. I presume that I would get better wireless reception, which would be nice. I did a little bit of reading, and from what I can tell, due to MER restrictions, my Netgear would require a FW change (DDRWT?? - no idea how to do this!) OR I could just use the SR101 as a 'passthrough' (if that's the right wording) and use the Netgear's stock FW, but that means I have THREE boxes vs. two if I can ditch the SR101. That's where I'm slightly confused and left wondering if it really worth doing! LOL.

So, any help or advice greatly appreciated regarding my questions/installation etc. Apologies for the long post, I tend to get carried away explaining things!!

TIA - Stevie.
      Last edited by steviejones133; 30-08-13 at 12:43 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast