Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using Sky's Router Firewall

This is a discussion on Using Sky's Router Firewall within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I use Windows7 and have Firewall and when I do security checks I keep getting told that certain ports are ...

wolfiebrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Using Sky's Router Firewall

I use Windows7 and have Firewall and when I do security checks I keep getting told that certain ports are open and my computer is at risk. I have also been told that window's firewall is easily penetrable.

Is it safe to switch of Windows firewall and rely solely on the sky router's firewall?

I haven't changed the settings on the firewall when accessing the router as it says its for advanced users only and if any mistakes can cause serious implications.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Brian

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Using Sky's Router Firewall

There are some ports which are required to be open on the router in order for your computer to function and access the Internet.

A good AV and Firewall package is always recommended for your computer, whether it uses a M$ product, Linux or Mac OS. It is also recommended that you also install and use something to detect malware too.

No one single package will be guaranteed to capture 100% of the nasties out there and I would recommend a variety of different tools and a sensible head to avoid 99.9% of them.

Rather than push the virtues of the combination which I use, there are many magazine which review the current crop of leading AV packages. Many also include a built in firewall as well.

As for Malware, there are a few different ones around for this too. Again check out the reviews first.

On this score I use MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. The free version needs you to run it periodically, but it is friendly and easy to use.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

when I do security checks I keep getting told that certain ports are open and my computer is at risk.
      What are you using to check the ports and which ones are reported as open? What I am wondering is if you are using one of the 'buy me and I will fix it' programs, which are just a scam to get you to buy them. If the Sky router firewall is left at default it should not have holes in it. Check in your router's firewall settings that they are set to 'Allow always' Outbound and 'Block always' Inbound. Try using the GRC port tester. https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

All ports should be shown as 'Stealthed'

The Windows 7 firewall is far better than any of its predecessors and should be quite sufficient when used in conjunction with the router firewall.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

These ports are open and my computer is vulnerable: ports 135, 137, 138 and 139
      I used
      Symantec Security Check

I also turned off:

client for Microsoft Network
      File and Printer sharing
      Internet Protocol Version 6
      Link Layer Topology

Plus I disabled Netbois over TCP/IP

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I found this find on google: How to close ports 135 and 445 (Windows 7)? - Wilders Security Forums

Have you tried scanning your network from another device in your local network? The user has a similar issue and when scanned from another source the ports are closed.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would not trust Norton with anything. For a start they insist you use IE, which I never do. Then they say I have no AV, which I do. I have Avast. Finally they say there server is down so they can't complete the tests! But they still say the solution is to buy Norton Security. They seem to be descending to the level of the worst scammers.

There should be no need to disable any of the protocols you have. You are only crippling your system, especially if you have a network of any kind. Run the Test I recommended and see what the result is. Post back.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here are the results of the test

Solicited TCP Packets: PASSED — No TCP packets were received from your system as a direct result of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed below — they are all either fully stealthed or blocked by your ISP. However . . .

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2012-11-21 at 22:54:09 Results from scan of ports: 0-1055 0 Ports Open 0 Ports Closed 1056 Ports Stealth --------------------- 1056 Ports Tested ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH. TruStealth: FAILED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH, - NO unsolicited packets were received, - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

been checking mr gibsons web site some nice checks but some scare tactics as well , security is very important got exactly same reulst as wolfiebrain also other test
      Attempting connection to your computer. . .
      Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
      Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
      One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
      Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
      All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

got same results with my work pc and my own locked down pc

Exchange:
      Thanks

Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

That is very very worrying....

How Can You stop this?

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Same results on a Mac as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast