Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

f@st 2304 Slow on wifi, but speedtests show good connection.

This is a discussion on f@st 2304 Slow on wifi, but speedtests show good connection. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey guys, ok this is a confusing one. I used to a while ago be able to watch BBC HD ...

djoveryde is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sky (01373)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

f@st 2304 Slow on wifi, but speedtests show good connection.

Hey guys, ok this is a confusing one. I used to a while ago be able to watch BBC HD on the iplayer perfectly fine. Then all of a sudden everything has slowed to a crawl. If i reset the router i can get it normal again and then 30 minutes later its back to its usual tricks.
      Running a check i should be getting 7-8mb broadband but im really confused as to why im no longer able to watch iplayer in HD on that sort of line speed.

Is it possible it could be something in the fact that my router firmware is 5.14.6.1a4N?

I work in the IT industry and im used to the whole change your Channel and change the filter. Try router in master socket etc. Still get the same sad fault .

Any advise much appreciated.

Oh btw if it is the firmware do you know of the link to obtain the new firmware as i've scoured google and just find forums about people talking about it.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: f@st 2304 Slow on wifi, but speedtests show good connection.

Your subject line says the wifi is slow, have you tried watching iPlayer using the LAN connection? Do you get the same results?

djoveryde is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sky (01373)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi yes, on LAN it works fine through my PC. The laptops even in the same room as the router on wifi will not play iplayer in hd at all.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Download and use Inssider(link below) to find the best wireless channel to use. Number 13 is often good as few use it.

You could also try downloading and installing the latest drivers for your wireless adapter.

By the way, the router updates its firmware automatically, no firmware is available for a manual update.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

So to be clear, it looks like the issue is with the wifi connection between the laptop and the router. The speed tests you have done will not be relevant and it's a case of working out why there is a connection or performance problem with the wifi.

As Isitme suggested, use Inssider and see if there's any other networks clashing with the channel you are using. What does your laptop show in terms of single strength and connection speed to the wifi?

Also, if possible try and download something from within your own network (copy files to your laptop from a PC/NAS) as we what throughput you are getting based on the signal strength.