Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

new sky router betterthan dlink 2640s?

This is a discussion on new sky router betterthan dlink 2640s? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have been with sky unlimited for a cpl of yrs now and have been using their supplied dlink 2640s ...

lgrenter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question new sky router betterthan dlink 2640s?

i have been with sky unlimited for a cpl of yrs now and have been using their supplied dlink 2640s router. for the last few months i have noticed that it loses connection and has trouble logging into some sites that i use ( if i restart it it miraculaously finds them!), can anyone advise if it is worth getting the new sky hub router that is available? is it better than what i currently use? none of my wireless devices are 'n' devices so will i see any improvement for them or my wired homplug network if i get this new router before it goes up in january?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: new sky router betterthan dlink 2640s?

There are a few reason potentially for causing your router to loose it's connection. I would first want to rule some simple ones out, such as line issues, failing microfilter, failing router and failing PSU.

Obviously if the issue were to do with either the router or the PSU for the router, then the Sky Hub would resolve those simply by being a replacement.

If it is a line or filter issue, then I would suggest that resolving this might be cheaper. Whilst the Sky Hub would be supplied with a couple of new microfilters and a new (longer) ADSL lead, if the telephone line is playing up, then you will still have the problem.

A couple of simple things can be done to confirm whether it is the router/PSU or the line or filter. First, plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket. Dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise. If you hear a very faint hiss or a high pitched noise like a fax machine, then this is fine. What you should not be hearing is some loud hiss or any crackling.

As for the microfilters, these normally last a couple of years, after that you should consider replacing them. A filtered faceplate should last a little longer, but some will fail after 2-3 years. If you have any spar microfilters, give them a try, same with the ADSL lead.

Also, please do not use any extension lead. The number that get accidentally damaged is quite high and this could cause you problems.

Finally, do you know someone who happens to have a spare Sky router lying around? If so could you borrow it to see if it works any better? If it does, then you have the choice of getting the Sky Hub.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms