Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Netgear DG834GT vs New Sky Hub

This is a discussion on Netgear DG834GT vs New Sky Hub within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by rooo Just found out that this doesn't work with the new firmware update. My problems started around ...

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Netgear DG834GT vs New Sky Hub

Quote Originally Posted by rooo View Post
      Just found out that this doesn't work with the new firmware update. My problems started around the same time this update was applied, I've just discovered.

Apparently (according to a helpful support staff member) you can't do this with the new Sky Hub either - but I assume I would not have the problems I've had.
      You are probably correct. IIRC I tried to use this when initially testing the sr101 and each time it just locked up on me. After 3 or 4 resets I gave up on the wretched thing. Since then it has resided in the DMZ of my asus rt-n16.

Note to self:- Make the effort to sniff the username/password and get rid of the sr101 by connecting direct to the RT-N16.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Apparently (according to a helpful support staff member) you can't do this with the new Sky Hub either - but I assume I would not have the problems I've had.
      I doubt if that is correct. I don't know of any router, which is working properly, that you cannot use address reservation.

Unfortunately the last update for the GT broke several of its functions, including Address Reservation. It also messed up the DHCP server which gives out thje addresses to devices. Sky were supposed to fix this but as it is now several months since the dodgy update was released, I doubt if it will ever happen. I probably suits them to force users to buy their new Hub.

If you have another router you can use I would advise you to consider flashing the GT with DGTeam firmware. This includes all the updates and more, than the one released by Sky. Which begs the question, how did Sky get it so wrong?

You are probably correct. IIRC I tried to use this when initially testing the sr101 and each time it just locked up on me. After 3 or 4 resets I gave up on the wretched thing. Since then it has resided in the DMZ of my asus rt-n16.
      This suggests they have messed up the firmware for this router as well.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MagicBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRSTO
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rooo View Post
      Just found out that this doesn't work with the new firmware update. My problems started around the same time this update was applied, I've just discovered.

Yeah, you can.

Can't comment on the 834GT, mine died a couple of years ago.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Just to clarify about the address reservations...

I have 7 different items listed on my Sky Hub SR101 for an address reservation. Each works perfectly fine and I haven't had any issues at all since it was set up, other that the initial setup.

In the guide for this piece the advice specifically mentions that it may be necessary to reset the device and router if you want a different IP Address and they were connected before hand. This is because the old IP Address will remain used until the two are reset and also the settings will need that reset to take effect on the Sky Hub.

If the person on the phone told you that Address Reservation does not work on the Sky Hub SR101 then they were talking out of their rear end. Do remember though that Sky offers very little support on their own routers beyond plugging them in and getting the stats.

I am not the only person involved in the Beta Testing that used this feature either.

IP Address Reservation

As for having multiple devices connected at the same time to the router, I asked this in the beta groups a little while ago and we got up to 23 devices. Of course there are going to be others outside the beta group who may have more.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I thought so Scubbie, or there would have been a lot more complaints about it. I found the best way to reserve an address was to give the device a fixed address, log into the router and reserve it. You can then put the device back on DHCP and it will get the address you gave it until you delete it from the router. If you try to reserve an address for a device when it is logged in with a different one, that can lead to problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I have a mixture of settings on my network equipment. My NAS' have fixed IP Addresses, so too does the torrent PC, on them. All the other kit uses the router to set the IP Address.

Due to me changing the routers around over the past couple of years and sometimes the IP Address range too, I've tried to refrain from fixing the IP Address on the device and instead using the router solely to set the IP Address, so I have just left it with those 3 items now.

What I have also done is to group the reserved IP Addresses together. This is why for me I had to reboot the router and devices after reserving the address.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12