Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ordered a Sky Hub and given an 'activation' date (but already have broadband)

This is a discussion on Ordered a Sky Hub and given an 'activation' date (but already have broadband) within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I have had Sky Broadband Unlimited for 10 months now and decided to order a new Sky Hub to ...

MultiMartin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Ordered a Sky Hub and given an 'activation' date (but already have broadband)

Hello,

I have had Sky Broadband Unlimited for 10 months now and decided to order a new Sky Hub to improve the wireless range in my house. I got an email today saying that the Hub was dispatched yesterday (should be here today) and that the activation date is not until next week.

My broadband has already been activated (10 months ago) so does it matter about this date and can I set the Sky Hub up straight away? Or do I have to wait until next week? I don't understand why I would need an activation date for a router.

Thanks for any help in advance,
      Martin

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Ordered a Sky Hub and given an 'activation' date (but already have broadband)

Typo I would guess.

Just plug in the Sky Hub.

It is possible that someone may have triggered the initial DLM process to restart next week. Hopefully this should not cause any problem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

puppet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Ordered a Sky Hub and given an 'activation' date (but already have broadband)

My broadband went live on 15/10, and I then ordered an SR101 Hub on 18/10 to replace the Sagem router. When it arrived about a week later it had a sticker on the box saying my line would be activated on the 15/10, ie, my previous activation date. I checked my account online, and it didn't look as if the DLM process had been restarted.

By any chance, if there is a sticker on your box, could it similarly reflect the original date of your activation, a year ago?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
      By any chance, if there is a sticker on your box, could it similarly reflect the original date of your activation, a year ago?
      That may well have been the case.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      That may well have been the case.
      Yes, this is exactly what has happened - the date was November 2011! The Sky Hub is now set up and working!

What do you think of these stats, do you think there is room for improvement?

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7006 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 dB 23.5 dB
      Noise Margin 7.0 dB 16.16 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Getting them to run DLM training again may get you a bit more, but apart from the upload, it does not look like you will get any more with a manual configuration. They may run DLM for you if you tell them you have a new router.

As always, plug into your Test socket and take your stats to ensure your broadband is performing at its best.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Initial thoughts are that it may be possible for DLM to improve the connection speed. If you prefer to have it manually set, there may be little room for improvement though.

Before contacting Sky, please do ensure that you are connected to the Master socket or preferably use a filtered faceplate.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Initial thoughts are that it may be possible for DLM to improve the connection speed. If you prefer to have it manually set, there may be little room for improvement though.

Before contacting Sky, please do ensure that you are connected to the Master socket or preferably use a filtered faceplate.
      Thank you. I use an ADSL faceplate and did wonder about the upload speed. It has been higher than that after they manually configured it but I have a feeling they re-activated DLM which lowered it again.

Is it worth pursuing? What's the best way without going through the rigmarole of trying to explain to me that I need to move the router to the master socket and try new filters (the router is plugged straight into an ADSL faceplate).

puppet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMartin View Post
      Yes, this is exactly what has happened - the date was November 2011!
      Yay, 10 points for Gryffindor!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Is it worth pursuing? What's the best way without going through the rigmarole of trying to explain to me that I need to move the router to the master socket and try new filters (the router is plugged straight into an ADSL faceplate).
      If you have a filtered faceplate and are certain that it is not faulty, just tell them you are plugged into the Test socket. They will be none the wiser.

It would only take a few minutes to check in the Test socket to be absolutely sure.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast