Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

Problems with new hub!

This is a discussion on Problems with new hub! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Isitme I wonder if you have set the encryption incorrectly? The wireless N standard will drop back ...

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Problems with new hub!

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I wonder if you have set the encryption incorrectly? The wireless N standard will drop back to 54mbps if you don't use WPA2 with AES encryption. If you are using WPA-PSK you will not get the full speed. I don't know what default Sky use when they send these out.

The agent you spoke to was obviously an idiot and shouldn't be speaking to customers.
      sorry to hijack this thread is what isitme said true for other non sky netgear N routers concerning the encryption setting.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulcarrm9mx View Post
      sorry to hijack this thread is what isitme said true for other non sky netgear N routers concerning the encryption setting.
      It applies to all routers, not just Sky ones. It is a part of the Wireless N Standards.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

No problem.

As annoying as it sounds, the display still doesn't show the 144mb/s connection of specifically state 'WiFi n'. This is the same on the Sagem 2504N.

This is a new router and those of us who helped to put the guides together did pick them apart, so to speak. The staff who answer the calls in Sky will pick up what we have learnt very soon.

As for the current options, always ensure the the 'Auto' is selected for the best speed, as well as WPA2-AES in the security settings.

Problems with new hub!-wireless-settings-small-.jpgProblems with new hub!-wireless-mode.jpg

Should anyone reading this at a later date wish to use WEP as they have something which doesn't support WPA or WPA2, then they should be aware that WEP is being phased out soon. Anything which can't support WPA or WPA2 should be updated, retired or you should consider some other method of connecting it to the router (i.e. a different router or a wired connection).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Leevis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Hi All
      Jumping on this thread, received my Hub yesterday and connected it up and everything seems to be fine apart from one this, wireless range.
      This Hub has replaced the old B+G Netgear one i had originally when i joined Sky in 2006. Wireless still does not reach my shed (about 120 from router) although the old one nearly got there, this one doesnt even come close. Is there something i can do about this?
      I have used the old Netgear one now as an extender ie turning DHCP off etc but was REALLY hoping that this one would have more wireless range than a router 8 years older.
      Lee

Thanks

I know that the original white Netgear DG834GT was released before the WiFi n specs were ratified. Does anyone know if the WiFi was particularly strong?

The signal output for all complying WiFi n routers is limited by regulations. Since the official Sky comparisons are between compliant routers, it is possible that this may be the reason.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Leevis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Not too sure what the rule of thumb is on wifi range. I would have though 200ft would be easy to achieve (i only want 120ft + 2 brick walls)
      Good point about the before ratification though, i am a bit dissappointed about the distance on this new one, looks like i will be need another powerline adapter i think.

Thanks

It was the only thing that I could think of which might be different.

Annoyingly as it may be, the USA allows a stronger signal than Europe. This is great where the property is in a wide open area as they can get a WiFi signal some distance from their home.

The downside for them is that in dense areas, such as New York, where there are many WiFi routers present, it can be impossible to get a good channel.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Wireless still does not reach my shed (about 120 from router) although the old one nearly got there, this one doesnt even come close. Is there something i can do about this?
      The 'old' Netgear DG834GT is a Super G router, capable of 108mbps with compatible adapters, So if you had compatible adapters for it, they may not work very well with the new Hub which is 144mbps Wireless N. Do you have wireless N adapters?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

marcadam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Having used Virgin and BT fibre (equivalent) products at a number of my clients premises I have been able to connect my phone and laptop at speeds close to the maximum available via a wired connection. To find this was not the case when I had sky fibre installed at my home was to say the very least, disappointing!! I am of the opinion that sky have supplied sub standard equipment that is not capable of meeting the claims made in the company's advertising campaign. Both Virgin and BT are supplying up to date equipment that is dual channel and capable of providing WiFi speeds that are as good as or very close to the maximum wired connection speed.

To be clear this kind of technology should work out of the box so to speak, press a button and connect. Having to tell customers to go into the settings to change this setting and that settings in order to and try that to get what they thought they were paying for is unacceptable! This is particularly the case when you consider the premium sky are charging for fibre at the moment.

After a frustrating call to the broadband help desk and wasting 15 minutes of my time speaking to an agent who was quiet clueless in these matters I am being sent another router/hub to try. I'm not holding out much luck as it will almost certainly be the same model of substandard single channel router that was supplied in the first place.

To be continued................
      bubblegun likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12