Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New F@ST2504N

This is a discussion on New F@ST2504N within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I received a new F@ST2504N today and got it up and running within a few minutes. It replaces an old ...

foobsy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01355
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New F@ST2504N

I received a new F@ST2504N today and got it up and running within a few minutes. It replaces an old netgear whos wi-fi signal was dropping out sometimes.

However I think there is a mistake in the name F@ST. I've never had a slower router. My downstream connection speed has dropped by 1Mbps although they might be doing DLN just now, that said my upload speed is at 797, not 794 as it seems to sit at during DLN.

It gets worse. The wi-fi link is as slow as anything. I've selected a channel that is the least congested rather than letting it sit at auto. I have a Galaxy S3 connected at 5Mbps. Yes, five. My old Netgear a/b/g router at least gave a constant 54Mbps. Initially it connected at 72Mbps, still short of the 144Mbps I was expecting. No idea what the ipad connects at, there doesn't seem to be an app that measures ipad to router speeds on non jail broken devices. My laptop cannot connect at all via wi-fi, only wired. There also seems to be some sort of sleep mode. The ipad is dropping its connection when it goes to sleep and I find I have to manually re-connect to the wi-fi signal when I wake it up. Something I've never had to do when using the old router.

Unfortunately I'm on MER and using your own kit seems a hassle to get round this. I've phone sky who after an argument decided the best course of action was to send me another one. The bloke on the phone took some convincing that the router was not working as advertised. Perhaps they don't have that option on their scripts in front of them!

The router seems like a waste of time. Would I be better just sticking to my old one and putting my own wi-fi access point in front of it?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: New F@ST2504N

Initially it connected at 72Mbps, still short of the 144Mbps I was expecting.
      That's because it is operating on a single channel as most phones do. Have a look at this thread for a fuller explanation.- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...on-speeds.html

If your laptop is not connecting and other devices are, it suggests your laptop is not set up properly. It may be still looking for your old router and can't find it? What happens when you click the wireless icon in the Tray and select Search for wireless networks? Does the Sky network come up?

With regards your own modem/router, although your existing router is connecting using MER, you may still be able to use PPPoA, many lines can. You will not know until you try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.