Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sagem 2504N and a subnet

This is a discussion on Sagem 2504N and a subnet within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I want to use a Sagem 2540N and SkyBB as a backup to access my network should my main line ...

sheppy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01788
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sagem 2504N and a subnet

I want to use a Sagem 2540N and SkyBB as a backup to access my network should my main line go down, the main network is controlled by a 2 WAN Port Edimax load balancer which I can't get it to talk to the Sagem.
      The Sagem is on 192.168.3.1 and the Edimax gets 192.168.3.2 via DHCP (obviously I'll make this static once it all works)
      I've put the Edimax in the DMZ to allow me to get back to my net through it but I can't access anything via the Edimax through the Sagem, it does get an ip address via DHCP but it can't ping the Sagem or access the net via it.
      Can anyone suggest anything I'm missing?
      Another option is to use an old Belkin Router to connect to Sky / Anytime+ etc as it has much less restrictive firmware.

Apologies for the incorrect thread name - couldn't find a way to correct it!
      Last edited by sheppy99; 04-10-12 at 04:26 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sagem 2504N and a subnet

I would be inclined to connect a computer directly with an Ethernet cable to the Sagem 2504N and check things out that way. Ensure that you disable the WiFi on the computer.

See if you can then access the Internet and see what happens.

P.S. Changing the thread names is something only the mods have the ability to do

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Connecting a computer directly to the Sagem allows access so the internet connection is working.
      It's the load balancer that can't access the net through the Sagem, using its WAN port for diagnostics should keep it on the same subnet as a directly connected computer. Could the Sagem's firewall be causing any problems? Looking at the cable router guide on here it should work without having to play with static routes etc.

Thanks

If a PC connected directly to the Sagem works, then the issue must certainly be with the load balancer router which you are using.

I understand the principal of them but I have never had the opportunity to actually use one or read a manual of one.

I know that quite a few members have used the Sagem 2504N effectively as a Modem on ADSL connections and as something between their own cable route and the BTO Modem on cable connections following Tom's guide (or one of their own doing). This leads me to conclude that there must be something in the set up of your Edimax router which is causing the problem too.

Of interest, in case you haven't already found out, when using my Sagem 2304n and WNDR3800, I could access the GUI of the 2304n whilst connected to the WNDR3800. This means that you should be able to verify the connections whilst using them together.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

That's the odd thing, the load balancer can't see anything from the Sagem, not even the web interface.
      So out of the box with no changes you could see the web interface from your secondary network?

Thanks

It is some time since I set up the WNDR3800 so I can't recall what settings were necessary and which, if any, were changed to allow it to work with the Sagem 2304n.

I had learnt some things before with the DGND3700. When I used its WAN Ethernet port, it worked in much the same way.

I notice that you are posting with a different ISP. Is this your other connection?

Have you tried swapping the WAN ports for the Sagem with your other router or perhaps just disconnecting the other connection to see if it then picks up the Sky connection?

I would also look to see if there is a forum specifically for the Edimax. This may be more common with other connections.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have no experience with load balancers, but offer these thoughts for your consideration.

The Sagem is probably on a different IP range from the balancer so it will not see it. Try changing the IP address of the Sagem to one in the same range as the Edimax but outside its DHCP range. I would imagine that the Edimax also has a DHCP server, so disable this in the Sagem.

When you have done that, put the Edimax IP address in the DMZ of the Sagem. I am assuming that the Edimax has a firewall of its own, so you don't need the Sagem one getting in the way.

This is not something which comes up too often, so it will be interesting to see how you get on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

A load balancer is pretty much just a router with more than 1 WAN port. Normally WAN ports are intended to have modems connected to them, not other routers. I suspect the issue could be to do with double NAT or something similar. I would be trying to disable as many routing-related functions on the Sagem as possible.