Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is it possible to configure the F@st 2304 router to refuse access overnight?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to configure the F@st 2304 router to refuse access overnight? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm looking for some help, I'd like to configure the router so that it wont allow any outgoing connections overnight, ...

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Is it possible to configure the F@st 2304 router to refuse access overnight?

I'm looking for some help, I'd like to configure the router so that it wont allow any outgoing connections overnight, I'm trying to stop teenagers from sitting online all night, is this possible? I've used the firewall to block it on the PC and laptop, but phones, x box dsi etc can still connect. Any ideas would be welcome, I intend to attack the X box rules one day, but I know little or nothing about that!

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      musicman53 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch, Bristol and Chepstow
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Is it possible to configure the F@st 2304 router to refuse access overnight?

Easy........just put the router in a locked box

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Is it possible to configure the F@st 2304 router to refuse access overnight?

I don't know of a way unless you use the scheduler and block specific ports over a predetermined time slot.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

One major drawback with ALL the Sky routers: Press the Reset button for 10 seconds and it resets it back to its original settings. This means that if you set up anything to block them out of hours, they only need to regain access to the router and they can once more play their games at 3am.

One idea would be to get a 3rd party router and either use it to connect to the Internet directly or disable the WiFi on the Sky router, lock it in an aired place, so it doesn't overheat and no one can get access to it. You could then use the 3rd party router to control the LAN and set up access to the Internet.

The latest Netgear routers utilise OpenDNS' Parental control feature. They don't however work with Sky's MER section. With this in mind I would suggest that one of their Cable routers would be a good choice, with the latest 'Netgear Genie' firmware (previous firmwares don't support this feature). Set it up as shown in the thread below:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

Otherwise, using the Scheduler on the Sagem 2304N you can block all Internet activity and place an exception for a single computer, based upon the IP Address.

On the router's GUI navigate to <Advanced> <LAN IP Setup>

Under 'Address Reservation' set up your computer to have a fixed IP Address. If you use the current one, that is fine. If you wish to use a different IP Address, then it won't become active until both the computer and the router are rebooted. Follow the instructions on the screen for doing this and click 'Apply' when completed. Your router may wish to reboot, let it.

Repeat this for all their Xboxes, phones, etc. You can note down the IP Addresses which each is assigned or printer the screen to a printer.

Navigate to <Security> <Schedule> and set up the schedule as required.

Now navigate to <Security> <Block Sites>

Enable the 'Allow Trusted IP Addresses' feature and put your computer's IP Address in to the boxes. Only one device can be added to this section.

Add a few sites which you wish to be blocked.

Click the radial button beside 'As Per Schedule'.

Now click 'Apply'.

Finally, if you know some of the ports which are used by the Xbox, navigate to the <Security> <Services> and add them to the list of custom services. When you have a selection of ports added (no more than 20 rules), navigate to <Security> <Firewall Rules> and add the custom services which you created and select 'Block by schedule' and assign each to the IP Address of the Xboxes as required.

I don't know how many rules the Sagem 2304n allows, but some only allow 20 or 30 rules. If is often a good idea to reduce them by combining several ports into one rule to reduce the number of rules added.

Finally you should save all the settings. Should someone reset the router, it would be the quickest way to restore them all.

Navigate to <Maintenance> <Backup Settings>. Click 'Backup' and save the file to your PC.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Nigelh (01-10-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Provided you do not want to go online during the night yourself, the easiest way would be to set up a Firewall Rule which blocks all outgoing according to the Schedule. I would actually recommend allowing according to schedule, rather than blocking as some find it does not work very well when the time has to pass 2400 hours. As already mentioned this can be deleted by pressing the reset button or by direct access to the router settings, so you must ensure physical access is impossible and you must change the default Admin password to one of your own. Your set up should look like this -
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is it possible to configure the F@st 2304 router to refuse access overnight?-fwall.jpg   Is it possible to configure the F@st 2304 router to refuse access overnight?-sched.jpg  

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Nigelh (01-10-12)

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Thanks for both of those answers, I've not been online myself all weekend, so only just seen them. I'll try both tonight and keep an eye on it. The router isn't easily reached, it's high up and hidden behind a printer. Finding the reset button would take some doing, and I'll use the kasperkey firewall to stop him accessing it.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Any firewall software will NOT prevent someone from accessing the router's graphic user interface (GUI).

The simplest method is to change the router's admin password to something unique. To help me with passwords I use a theme.

Do ensure that it is a password only known to yourself. Don't write it down and don't give it to anyone.

A secret is only a secret if it is known only to one person. Many passwords should be kept secret.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Stick a small piece of tape neatly over the Reset hole and they might not even find it, even if they get access to the router.

Sky also have a free version of Parental controls available, but I think they only work on PCs, not pads or phones or consoles. You can have a look here - Sky Broadband Security | McAfee Parental Controls

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.