Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sagem router affected by laptop. losing signal, generally goes haywire

This is a discussion on sagem router affected by laptop. losing signal, generally goes haywire within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have something weird going on with my sky internet connection. nothing has changed in my setup, its all exactly ...

bwfcboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bolton
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sagem router affected by laptop. losing signal, generally goes haywire

i have something weird going on with my sky internet connection. nothing has changed in my setup, its all exactly as it has been for 4 years but suddenly my router is frequently going potty!

i have a sagem router which is not connected to the master socket but never has been. we are in a new build house so all the wiring should be spot on. this is the router with the problem

It reports a speed of about 7.5MB (they reckon up to 8 is what we would expect), a noise margin which typically runs at about 6 although sometimes drops to 4.8 (it runs better at 4.8), line attenuation of 44.

these stats don`t change even if the master socket is in use.

i then have a 2nd router (netgear) hard wire connected which we use to connect to a couple of desktop PC`s in an office. It is wireless enabled but the signal is poor in most of the house.

so heres the problem, suddenly it seems that in the evening when I switch my Windows 7 Laptop on the wireless connection suddenly dies, swiftly followed by the hard wire connection. the green light stays on the router to indicate it has a connection but it just doesn`t connect to the internet.

this is where it gets weird because at various times only one of either the wireless connection or the hard wire connection will work. so one evening the wireless connection started working but the hard wire one wasn`t then the next evening it was the opposite. i have also seen random messages such as something along the lines of `your PC does not have the correct security requirements to join this network` (or something like that).

Now surely, even if the wireless signal has gone down I should still be able to connect to the router wirelessly (I`m sitting right next to it) or hard wired but randomly I can`t do this.

I called Sky and xplained this but as usual they start papping on about the set up and asking me 100 obvious questions. I know they have to go through the process but it isn`t helpful at all.

i have made sure the two routers are on different channels and i checked with inSSIDer to make sue there is no clash in the neighbourhood. i`m snookered now, i don`t know what to do!

Can anyone suggest a possible cause?

edit:- just to add, the kids are using the internet on the desktop all day playing minecraft and it seems to be rock solid
      Last edited by bwfcboy; 20-08-12 at 08:31 AM.

2. Advertisement