Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Replacement router needed - any advice, please?

This is a discussion on Replacement router needed - any advice, please? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I currently have a Netgear V1 (white) router DG834GT router and have had it since I joined Sky back ...

MrMischief is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Barnabas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Replacement router needed - any advice, please?

Hi,

I currently have a Netgear V1 (white) router DG834GT router and have had it since I joined Sky back in 2007. It's sadly on it's last legs, with wi fi dropping out regularly and more frequent reboots.

I am very reluctant to get Sky's new Wireless N router because I am not a fan of Sagem and they're not exactly the best brand.

As we have to use Sky's own router as part of their T & Cs and I know how to extract my username and password, I don't like the fact they "force" us to use a locked down router. Most other ISPs allow you to use whatever router you like.

I am thinking of getting a my own choice of router but now that I am connected by MER, can anyone tell me what router is recommended and works on MER? Or should I get a wireless access point (for more reliable wi fi) and connect that to the router and switch wi fi off on the Netgear? If so, what access point is recommended?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Replacement router needed - any advice, please?

The only manufacturer who has taken the trouble to create firmware to work with Sky's MER is Billion, so if you want one to work with MER your choice is limited. There is 3rd party firmware which allows this but I don't know of any that works with an ADSL router. Using your Sky router as a modem and connecting a wireless access point to it would give you a much wider choice.

More information on the Billion here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...w-working.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for that. I think I may purchase an access point and use the Sky router as a modem. What access point is recommended?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It depends on your budget, if you just want a basic access point then this one fits the bill- TP-Link TL-WR743ND Wireless-N Access Point & Client Router (150Mbps) w/ PoE

If you want something a bit more advanced with dual band then this one is a good choice - TP-Link TL-WDR4300 Simultaneous Dual-Band N750 Wireless-N Broadband Router (750Mbps)

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Isn't the 2nd link a router, rather than an access point?