Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet

This is a discussion on Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I really need some help with the setup with my DGND3700v2 (N600 Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router). I have ...

se97nm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Exclamation Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet

Hi,

I really need some help with the setup with my DGND3700v2 (N600 Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router).

I have been using a Sky Router but it is not providing full coverage to my house and so decided to invest in a new router. After a lot of investigation I decided on the one noted.

I have now been trying to get working for days now and having no luck (Very frustrated).

I have obtained my DSL ISP Username and Password from various tools (One example Sky Broadband Password Calculator - pH-Mb)

I have entered my LAN MAC Address obtained from the bottom of the router. Note it is a Sagem router (Not sure what model but the tools to get username/password only has one Sagem option). I have checked the LAN MAC address by logging into the router to confirm. I have then entered the Wireless Key/Network Key from the bottom of the router. I was then provided with the username and password. Username ending in @skydsl and a 15 character password.

I then connected my new router to the DSL line and plugged in a network cable in the LAN port and into my laptop.

I have logged on to the router with router routerlogin.net and the default username and password.

Following the instruction manual it tells me to go through the setup wizard which I do.

I say yes when it asks me to allow the smart setup wizard to detect the connection type.

After a while it asks me to enter my DSL username and password.
      I used the credentials obtained via the tool(I did copy these to a txt file and so there is no typo issue) and it told me the details where incorrect. I re-entered a number of times and still failed.

I then chose to configure the connection myself. This took me to the "Internet Setup" screen and the form was prefilled with:
      Does connection require a login: yes
      Encapsulation: PPPoA(PPP over ATM)

Login: This was set with the one I entered in the wizard
      Password: Set with the one I entered in the wizard
      Connection Mode: Always on

Internet IP Address: Get Dynamically from ISP

Domain name server: Get Automatically from ISP

NAT: Disabled

Router MAC Address: Use Default Address

So basically I have not changed anything. I click test and this succeeds and their is a connection.

I then go to the main screen and it says internet connection status is good.

I then open a browser to browse to a site, and type in URL. The site does not load and it just keeps trying to connect. The name of the site appears in the tab of the browser but the page is blank, the icon in the browser is still spinning to show it is loading/connected but does not change. I have also been able to ping sites from the cmd prompt.

I have started using my sky router and checked the network type and it is MER.

I have read other posts about version 1 of the router I have and it could not connect with this network type, but this was supposed to be resolved in version 2.

The firmware version I have is v1.1.00.08_1.0

The ADSL settings on the new router is
      Multiplexing method: LLC-Based (I have tried VC BASED)
      VPI:0
      VCI:38
      DSL MOde: Auto
      Transfer Mode:ATM

The other difference I noticed between the sky router and the new one is that the MTU on the sky router is 1500 and the new one is 1458.

I cant change to 1500 on the new one as 1458 is the max

Please help, I am ready to throw this thing at the wall.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet

NAT: Disabled
      This should be enabled. Try changing that and if it still does not connect change the encapsulation from LLC to VC based. If it still does not connect, then I am afraid you may be one of those on a MER only exchange. Latest reports are that some exchanges which have been using MER have reverted to PPPoA.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Nice to see that this new version is finally available in the UK.

If, as Tom has suggested, your connection is stuck on MER, then there are two things which you can do. Do check the additional settings that he has mentioned though. These are normally on a 2nd screen.

The first is to connect the DGND3700 to your Sky router, using the WAN Ethernet port and Tom's guide.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

The second is to raise a support ticket with Netgear to encourage them to add support for Sky's version of MER to their next firmware.

In the mean time, do look at downloading and installing the Netgear Genie app too. There are versions for most platforms now.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Nice to see that this new version is finally available in the UK.

If, as Tom has suggested, your connection is stuck on MER, then there are two things which you can do. Do check the additional settings that he has mentioned though. These are normally on a 2nd screen.

The first is to connect the DGND3700 to your Sky router, using the WAN Ethernet port and Tom's guide.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

The second is to raise a support ticket with Netgear to encourage them to add support for Sky's version of MER to their next firmware.

In the mean time, do look at downloading and installing the Netgear Genie app too. There are versions for most platforms now.
      Hi guys,

Thanks for the information.

I have tried the setting changes proposed by Tom and still no success.

I downloaded the Net Genie Software and installed. This seems like a useful piece but it does not help with the problem. The tool allows you to perform a ping, a traceroute and a DNS lookup. All these actions succeeded.

So I dont understand why it is not working. If I can communicate with external servers, why am I not able to load websites? Dont understand if the reason is because it does not support MER network type!

I have connected the new router to the sky router and followed the instructions as per the PDF.

I have set the IP for the new router to 192.168.0.250 and disabled DHCP.

Websites are now loading for me which is good.

I really dont want to have to run both devices, and would like a solution. I will contact NetGear to see if they have a solution, but anymore help from this forum would be great.

I do have one issue now, as the new router is just acting as a router, and is being feed by the sky device, I wanted to update the firmware on the new device. Reason being is when I log in to the new router is states there is a firmware update available. When I click the link to get I get message "Please Connect Internet Port and Retry"

Looking at the home screen for the router it says "Internet - Error Not Connected". I can browse the internet from a browser, and so not sure why this is?

One more thing on the network genie software, now I have changed the IP of the new router to .250, when I attempt to log in to the router via net genie it fails to do so. I assume it is because it is trying to connect to the IP 192.168.0.1. I have tried to see how to update this in the interface but do not see option, also checked the installed folder to see it there is a config file to update, but does not appear to be.

Thanks

I think you may have connected things incorrectly. Check against the following:

Sky Router:
      IP Address 192.168.0.1
      WiFi disabled
      Set so that DMZ Server = 192.168.0.250
      Connected directly to the ADSL port on your telephone socket
      Ethernet cable feeds from the Sky Router to the WAN Ethernet Port on the DGND3700v2

DGND3700v2:
      IP Address 192.168.1.1
      WAN Ethernet port IP Address = 192.168.0.250
      DHCP Enabled

You could use any other IP Address on the DGND3700v2 so long as it doesn't conflict with the Sky router (192.168.nnn.1 where nnn is and number up to 255). This can be changed under Advanced --> Setup --> LAN Setup. The 3rd segment would then determine the IP Address range for your LAN. Personally I don't like to use the '0' range as too many routers default to this.

There are other IP Address blocks which are suitable, but this will do the task.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

se97nm (19-09-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I was following the instructions in the PDF that is referenced in the post http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html, which seems different slightly to instructions above.

I will do this when I get home this evening.

I did raise a ticket with NetGear and got a speedy response (Though does not resolve the problem). The said the following:
      "Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is ****, your support engineer and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I understand that you are not able to to connect the DGND3700v2 wireless router with the SKY Broadband connection. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best effort to help resolve your case in the least amount of time.

Since we are doing this online, it may require a few email exchanges before we can resolve the issue.

Regarding the concern, I would like to mention that SKY Broadband has introduced the MER (MAC ENCAPSULATED ROUTING) technology which only work with the routers supplied by SKY and this technology has not been introduced with any other router model aas the MER Technology is not supported by the Netgear routers.

Since the router, do not support MER technology, I appologise but it is not possible to setup the router with the Sky Broadband conenction.

As per the records, I can perceive that you have purchased the product in less than 30 days ago.

In this case, you can certainly take the device back to the retailer you purchased it from and get an exchange for the product. I apologize for the inconvenience caused due to this.

Please note that while returning this device to the vendor, you may be required to furnish the case number for this email query.

If you need any further help, please email us back so that we can continue to work on a solution.

Please do visit Welcome to NETGEAR Support for any technical queries regarding NETGEAR products.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!"

I am pleased that they say I can return to supplier, which was Ebuyer, and so I am considering returning. Assuming Ebuyer will accept.

I really wanted this router as it is dual band, it is has usb to connect my external drive and ability to share the drive with any device in the house. This drive contains all family photos and so will be easy to look at without the need to get the drive out and plug into laptop. Also to be able to have a wireless printer to be able to print from anywhere.

Do you have any recommendations for another router that provides these functions and supports the MER network type?

Regards
      Neil
      Last edited by Scubbie; 19-07-12 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Removed name of Netgear support member

Thanks

The DGND3700 and DGND3700v2 are both able to be used as an ADSL and Cable router. If Sky hadn't locked out PPPoA on some connections, you would be able to use your DGND3700v2 as a fully fledged ADSL router. The suggestion I made was to use it as if it were a Cable Router.

The router has two WAN connections: ADSL port & WAN Ethernet.

The guide which you used is for adding a router to the Sky router's network so that you can extend the WiFi coverage.

The one D-Link DIR613 is a cable router and would use the Sky router as if it were a Modem. I believe this 2nd option might be better in your case. I appreciate that you would be unable to tweak the connection using Telnet, but I have used this kind of setup myself when I had the DGND3700 (v1).

Thanks

If you are able to ping sites, but not connect through the web address there are at least 2 things which can be wrong. First is you have a DNS problem, try setting your PC up to use Google public address 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. The second is that your security software is preventing the connection. Try Starting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can connect. If you have Netgenie installed, you can click the Internet icon and try a speedtest, the default Netgear address will do. See if you get a result.

From what you say MER is not the problem as you appear to be connecting. The problem may be solvable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The DGND3700 and DGND3700v2 are both able to be used as an ADSL and Cable router. If Sky hadn't locked out PPPoA on some connections, you would be able to use your DGND3700v2 as a fully fledged ADSL router. The suggestion I made was to use it as if it were a Cable Router.

The router has two WAN connections: ADSL port & WAN Ethernet.

The guide which you used is for adding a router to the Sky router's network so that you can extend the WiFi coverage.

The one D-Link DIR613 is a cable router and would use the Sky router as if it were a Modem. I believe this 2nd option might be better in your case. I appreciate that you would be unable to tweak the connection using Telnet, but I have used this kind of setup myself when I had the DGND3700 (v1).
      Hi Scubbie,

So you are saying follow the PDF at Using the DLink DIR613 even though it is for a dlink DIR 613, but find equivalent screens in the netgear router. The reason why I use the other is because the post stated:

"NB - If you are using an ADSL router this will not work so follow the instructions in the PDF in this thread - How to connect two Routers together"

My SKY broadband is ADSL and not cable, and so this is definitely the one I should be following?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are able to ping sites, but not connect through the web address there are at least 2 things which can be wrong. First is you have a DNS problem, try setting your PC up to use Google public address 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. The second is that your security software is preventing the connection. Try Starting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can connect. If you have Netgenie installed, you can click the Internet icon and try a speedtest, the default Netgear address will do. See if you get a result.

From what you say MER is not the problem as you appear to be connecting. The problem may be solvable.
      Hi Tom,

I hope the problem is solvable.

I am quite technical but I am from a software development background, and not really networking or IT support.

I am running Windows 7 on my PC.

1. So can you detail how if it is a DNS problem, to set laptop to use Google public address 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. I think this is done by going to list of network connections, and view properties for the for example LAN connection. Choosing internet protocol V4 and clicking properties, and then enable "Use the following DNS server address. Then for preferred enter 8.8.8.8 and for alternate enter 8.8.4.4

The issue with this is if I am connecting to wifi with iphone/ipad then I would need to set the DNS in the devices for these connections, and for all future devices. This would be a headache especially when I have quests and they want to jump on the wifi with their phone.

2. Starting windows in safe mode. I believe this is done on start up and clicking F8 to get the boot options.

I have already done a speed test with NetGenie, but will try again once I have implement point 1 and then executed point 2.

So after writing the above I am not sure if this would be an ideal solution. Is using the Google public address just a test to see if it works, and to then move to a better solution. Should this be set in the router?

Thanks

Thanks

1. So can you detail how if it is a DNS problem, to set laptop to use Google public address 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. I think this is done by going to list of network connections, and view properties for the for example LAN connection. Choosing internet protocol V4 and clicking properties, and then enable "Use the following DNS server address. Then for preferred enter 8.8.8.8 and for alternate enter 8.8.4.4............
      So after writing the above I am not sure if this would be an ideal solution. Is using the Google public address just a test to see if it works, and to then move to a better solution. Should this be set in the router?
      Yes to both.

Did you get a result with Netgenie as this would prove if it is connecting?
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast