Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet

This is a discussion on Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; To clarify both routers are on 24/7, I only disabled the wireless on the skyrouter. If the sky router is ...

se97nm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet

To clarify both routers are on 24/7, I only disabled the wireless on the skyrouter. If the sky router is turned off I will not get any internet as the netgear is connected to the sky router.

I will check the the logs when I get home. What should I be looking for, shall I post the log into a thread.

To be honest not sure what to try next

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you are having a lot of problems setting it up as a cable router then I would advise following Scubbies advice on connecting 2 routers. If both routers are situated close together there is nothing to be gained by trying to use the Sky router. All it will do is interfere with the other router.

Basically, forget about using the DMZ.
      Give the Netgear a fixed LAN address of 192.168.0.254 and turn off its DHCP server.
      Connect it to the Sky router using one of its ethernet ports and reserve its address in the Address Reservation list.
      Set up its wireless with WPA2 AES encryption to be sure it can use wireless N

If you want to upgrade its firmware you will have to download the file manually from Netgear. DGND3700v2

To be honest as a Sky user I would not buy a Netgear router. They have no interest in making them compatible with Sky's MER or Fibre. Billion have went to the trouble of doing this for some of their routers and are to be congratulated for doing so.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you are having a lot of problems setting it up as a cable router then I would advise following Scubbies advice on connecting 2 routers. If both routers are situated close together there is nothing to be gained by trying to use the Sky router. All it will do is interfere with the other router.

Basically, forget about using the DMZ.
      Give the Netgear a fixed LAN address of 192.168.0.254 and turn off its DHCP server.
      Connect it to the Sky router using one of its ethernet ports and reserve its address in the Address Reservation list.
      Set up its wireless with WPA2 AES encryption to be sure it can use wireless N

If you want to upgrade its firmware you will have to download the file manually from Netgear. DGND3700v2

To be honest as a Sky user I would not buy a Netgear router. They have no interest in making them compatible with Sky's MER or Fibre. Billion have went to the trouble of doing this for some of their routers and are to be congratulated for doing so.
      Hi TomD,

Can you take me through this a little more.

I have reset the netgear router, and then set the IP to 192.168.0.254. I unticked the DHCP server checkbox. The server then rebooted.

I then connected to the sky wireless router and unticked DMZ.
      I have plugged the netgear router into the sky router, using the ethernet port (Yellow one on the back of the sky router and the netgear router).

I added the IP 192.168.0.254 and the MAC address of the netgear router to the reservation list on the sky router.

The wifi on the netgear is already set to WPA2 AES

I have connected to the wifi connection on the netgear router and can connect but stating "No Internet Access". If I plug a network cable into the netgear router and into laptop and it connects and have internet access. The name of the connection when I do this is not the name of the netgear router but the name of the sky router. This does not happen when I am connecting to wifi on netgear router.

I am still able to connect to the sky wifi without problem

Thanks

The name of the connection when I do this is not the name of the netgear router but the name of the sky router.
      That is what it should be, you are just really using the Netgear as a switch.

I am still able to connect to the sky wifi without problem
      What happens when you disable the wireless on the Sky router?

Can you try this, disable the wireless on the Sky router and make a note of the SSID and channel, go into the settings of the Netgear and change the SSID and channel to the same as your Sky router. Can you also go into the settings on your laptop and check that you are set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. Now reboot your laptop and see if it will connect wirelessly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi TomD,

I am going to try this but first, the channel on the sky router is set as "auto" and no the netgear it is "auto" as well.

Shall I just try disabling the wifi and copying the SSID

Thanks

I would try setting the channel to no 13 for a start, that works quite well in most places. You should download Inssider, link below and check which is the least used clear channel in your area.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I used XIRRUS as this was already installed to find a unused channel. Nothing was using 13.

I disabled to wireless on sky router and copied then SSID from sky to netgear.

Channel 13 was not being used so I set that on the netgear router

I tried that and still had same problem.

I used NetGenie to attempt to fix and have uploaded a screenshot of the log
      Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet-19-09-12.jpg

Anthing else I can try?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

What are your DNS Server settings on the Netgear router?

Have you set DNS Server settings on the Laptop?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

On netgear it is set as Get Automatically from ISP

on laptop it is obtain an ip automatically and obtain DNS server automatically

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Could I suggest that you set the router to use a Public DNS server?

The Parental Controls feature requires you to use the OpenDNS servers, should you ever wish to use that feature. This may well help to resolve the issue.

Public DNS Server List (Updated September 2012)

For reference, this is something that I occasionally get on my own main Laptop, but not the other or a friend's that I am working on at the moment. I have found that an occasional reboot resolves the issue on my Laptop. However the Netgear Genie app normally reconnects it up.

Check also that the adaptor isn't being allowed to go into 'Sleep mode' when you are using the Laptop. This too has helped to reduce the instances of it playing up.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast