Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet

This is a discussion on Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I connect sky router to the netgear router using LAN cable. On the netgear router I go to the WAN ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet

I connect sky router to the netgear router using LAN cable. On the netgear router I go to the WAN setup and tick default DMZ server, and then enter IP 192.168.0.250, I get message in valid IP address.
      If you are using the WAN port, the Netgear should be in the DMZ of the Sky router, not vice versa. The IP address of the Netgear should be in the same range as the Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      se97nm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I returned to this. A long holiday and the being incredible busy on return has meant this has been on back burner. Also the thought that I just need to plug the cable into the WAN port of the Netgear router from a LAN port of the Sky router, and then just be able to update the IP of the DMZ on the netgear router to 192.168.0.250 was all that needed to be done, and would be easy meant I did not get to it.

Now I am experience the problem that made me buy a new router to replace the sky one has put it back to the top of the list of things to do.

With Scubbie's last update telling me I had the cable in the wrong socket on the Netgear router for the WAN. I moved to the grey port as stated. I then went to the WAN setup of the netgear router and set the default DMZ server to 192.168.0.250. Please note when the cable was in the wrong port I was getting invalid IP address message, now it is the WAN port I am still getting the message.

I have added a number of screenshots of the config of my sky router and netgear router

Sky LAN
      Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet-sky-lan.jpg

Sky WAN
      Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet-sky-wan.jpg

Netgear LAN
      Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet-netgear-lan.jpg

Netger WAN
      Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet-netgear-wan.jpg

Then the following is after I have set the DMZ to be 192.168.0.250
      Netgear router dgnd3700v2 - No Internet-netgear-wan-invalid-ip.jpg

I know there is been quite a gap. Help would be appreciated as just wasted another 4 hours trying to get this working.

Thanks

Neil

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Ok, perhaps for clarity, only the Sky router should be setting the DMZ server.

The 4th picture show that you are trying to set the DMZ server on the Netgear router. This would be wrong, unless you wish to forward all the ports to another (3rd) device.

What should be happening is that the DGND3700 will be set up to forward individual/groups of ports to different devices on your LAN. The reason for the DMZ setting on the Sky router is so that all the ports are sent directly to the DGND3700 so that it can then resolve their final destinations.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

I have unticked the Netgear settting DMZ Server as per image below

Name:  Netgear WAN 2.jpg
Views: 3131
Size:  21.3 KB

I have then connected wireless to the netgear router but when connected the status is "No Internet Access" see bottom right of image below

Name:  Net Genie.jpg
Views: 2175
Size:  20.2 KB

I have ran the Network map using net genie and get the below (The sky router is not showing in the map - I would expect it to. To me this seems that the Netgear router is not even trying to use the Sky router for internet access)
      Name:  Net Genie 2.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  15.8 KB

What am I missing

thanks for you help

Neil

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

I believe I have solved it. It was something really silly that had not changed since I first tried to set up the router without the sky router

In the Internet configuration screen the setting "Does your internet connection require a login?" was still set to yes. When I changed to no, I got internet access.

I will now try to see if I can connect through all my devices in the house.

Thanks for all your help

Neil

Thanks

Well done!

Once you have confirmed that it all works, please do find the 'Back up settings' option and save them to a config file.

Also, for your benefit, take some screen dumps so that you can recover it if you require.

The config file is encrypted so you won't be able to read it.

Please do let us know how you find this new version too please. I had a few 'issues' with the v1 when it came to using the USB ports.

I will say that I found the Netgear Genie app really nice too. It doesn't work on the v1, but I have a WNDR3800 now which it does work on.

Could I also suggest that you enable the Traffic Meter too. Whilst you are on the Unlimited package there is no real purpose for it, it does help you to see just how much you do each month.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

se97nm (19-09-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

I will let you know how using the USB port goes as that is what I want to move on to next.

I have had a strange problem since issue was resolved.

Today my wife used her work laptop to connect to the new netgear router, and it was connecting to the wireless but it was saying "No Internet Access". I set the connection to be a "Home Network", but still same problem.

I then gave in and said I would enable the wireless on the sky router as she had connected her work laptop to this before I installed the netgear router.

When I did this she was getting the same problem with the sky wireless connection.

On my own laptop I then connected to the netgear wireless and was getting the same problem, I then connected to the sky wireless and still the same problem. On Sunday I was able to connect to the Netgear router wireless connection

Our iPhones and iPad all connect fine.

If we plug either laptop into either router using a cable there is no problem.

I tried disconnecting the netgear router from the sky router. The problem still existed connecting to the sky router.

I have also tried turning off security on the sky router and this did not resolve.

I have been looking at forums trying to find a solution without success. I was trying ipconfig /release. then /renew/

For some reason, I do not know how, the sky wireless connection suddenly was fine on both laptops. When either laptop is connected to the netgear wireless the problem still exists.

I have uninstalled my wireless network adapter and reinstalled on my laptop. When I connected to the sky router it is fine, but the netgear one was not.

The wireless adapter driver on my laptop is up to date. I have read on some forums this can be intermittent.

I have restarted my wife's work laptop, and then connected to the sky router and the problem was back. I then did a ipconfig /release and then /renew. I disconnected from the sky router and reconnected. I then had a connection. I do not know if this resolved the issue or not, or if it is being intermittent.

I expect when I restart my laptop I will get the same problem.

I submitted this post last night but am editing this morning with a further confusion.

After I posted last night I used the iPad and found it had connected to the sky router automatically but when I switched to the netgear it connected but no sites would load through the browser. This morning I tried my iphone which was already connected to the netgear router and I was able to browse the net. On the iphone I then forgot the netgear connection and then reconnected and put in the password. It connected but was not able to browse.

With me experiencing this now on 2 laptops, ipad, and a iphone, I expect this to be an issue with the netgear router. It has been fine for the last few days with the ipad and iphone (including wife's iphone).
      Last edited by se97nm; 19-09-12 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Additional information

Thanks

How have you got things set up please?

Ideally if you are using the DGND3700v2 to run your LAN, then you should be able to disable the WiFi on the Sky router and any Ethernet connections should all be fed through the 3700.

Was the Internet LED illuminated on the Netgear? Is there anything in the logs?

Did you check things with the Netgear Genie app?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      How have you got things set up please?

Ideally if you are using the DGND3700v2 to run your LAN, then you should be able to disable the WiFi on the Sky router and any Ethernet connections should all be fed through the 3700.

Was the Internet LED illuminated on the Netgear? Is there anything in the logs?

Did you check things with the Netgear Genie app?
      Hi Scubbie,

I believe the setup was correct as it has been working for last few days, though since Sunday we have only been using our iPhones and the iPad. I last used my laptiop on Sunday when I managed to get the sky router and the netgear router communicating and was able to access the netgear router wireless through my laptop.

Last night was the first time my wife tired her work laptop since the setup on Sunday.

NOt sure if the LED was illuminated, will check tonight. Though if I used a cable to connect a laptop to the netgear router, I got an internet connection. Connecting via a cable is not really a solution as the routers are upstairs in cupboard, and my wife when working from home will do so down stairs. For her to work yesterday she had to sit on the floor next to the cupboard so she could use the cable.

How do I get access to the logs for the Netgear router?

I did use netgenie and it was showing the wireless was connected, but internet was saying an error. I ran the tool to fix but it was not able to.
      When I view the network map it shows a connection between laptop and netgear router, but big 'X' for the link between router and internet.

I think possibly the most recently problem of the ipad and iphones connecting to the netgear but not being able to browse may be because I turned the sky wireless back on, the sky wireless and the netgear wireless may be using the same channel. Will need to check this when I get home later, if the same then I will change the channel of one of them. Though this may overcome the current issue but it does not explain the initial problem of wife's laptop connecting to the netgear wireless but having no internet access, as the sky wireless was disabled at this point, and the iPad was working with the netgear wireless

Thanks

You'll find the logs under Advanced --> Administration --> Logs

As for the Sky router picking a channel when you switched it on again, simply leave both routers on 24/7.

It is actually better for the life span of the routers for them to be left on all the time and they should never be switched off. Their power consumption is very little and measurable in pennies.

I would also use a program such as inSSIDer to ensure that the Sky router's WiFi has been correctly disabled.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast