Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Iomega NAS not allowing remote access through Sky Sagem Router

This is a discussion on Iomega NAS not allowing remote access through Sky Sagem Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all. I have an Iomega Home Media Cloud Edition network accessed storage drive which is connected to my home ...

Lonemascot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Iomega NAS not allowing remote access through Sky Sagem Router

Hi all.
      I have an Iomega Home Media Cloud Edition network accessed storage drive which is connected to my home network. Ive tried to set it up so that i can access it from my work network. however, theres an error message within the Iomega Storage Manager application that says the router is not configured properly.

I have checked that UPnP is enabled.
      I have also enabled the opening of ports 80 and 443 in the INBOUND services of my router setup. Do i use the routers external IP address here or the devices Local IP?

Yesterday, I used the devices' local IP address which was 192.168.0.12 but today its ending in .7! Not quite sure where i need to go to give the drive a stratic IP.

Also the router is not seeing the hard drive on the network. the MAC addresses of connected devices do not match the drives MAC.

when using the External IP address and checking the ports on Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router it says that 443 is closed but 80 is open even though they are set up exactly the same on the router.

Ive asked IOMEGA technical and they say its a router problem not forwarding the ports correctly and im to contact SKY. so i contacted Sky and spoke to several idiots that assured me that trying to access a Network Accessed Storage drive via a router was not possible!!!! If thats the case why the hell does it say you can do it on the box??? Seriously, Sky are about as helpful as a slap in the face.

Any help from you clever people would be gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Iomega NAS not allowing remote access through Sky Sagem Router

Forget Sky for supporting this. Virtually anything beyond powering up the router and logging in is beyond what they are allowed to do. Some will know more, but they are the minority.

So first things first, you need to provide you NAS with a static IP Address. It isn't important which address you use, but I would suggest that you use one that is unlikely to be normally used. On the forum we often suggest using 192.168.0.250 for a 2nd router or access point so in this case I might suggest that you use 192.168.0.240. You could set the static IP Address on the NAS or you could log into the router, navigate to the 'Advanced' settings and under 'LAN IP Setup' you will see 'Address Reservation' where you can add the NAS' MAC IP Address and select a suitable IP Address for it. You may need to power cycle the router and NAS for this setting to take.

Use one or the other of the above systems.

As for port forwarding, the link below should help:

Sky User - VIDEO: Port Forward on a Sky Netgear V2 DG934G Router

Also look at this thread:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...st-2504-a.html

I did find with my own NAS that for ftp I needed to restrict the range of one set of ports and after forwarding these as well it works fine. I haven't set up ports 80 & 443 though for http & https access.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi Scubbie. thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.

I am at my wits end with this problem so you dont know how much i actually appreciate a response.

I upgraded the NAS firmware as it was out of date.

Ive made the following changes within the NAS itself:
      Unticked the checkbox for auto config network settings and auto aquire network address
      The DNS server is 192.168.0.1
      Device IP to 192.168.0.240
      Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
      Gateway 192.168.0.1

ive saved that but when i access the router setup and go to Attached Devices it doesnt show my NAS MAC and even in the LAN IP reservation it doesnt list it.

Any ideas there?

Thanks

I can confirm that port 80 works on your router. As a mod I can see your IP Address. It failed with IE9 (as has something on my own network), but worked perfectly with Chrome & Firefox. I got 6 headings with their respective Icons above. I didn't go any further.

If you are performing the tests within your own LAN then you are experiencing the loopback issues. You will need to use something else to access from outside your LAN.

Edit: Port 443 works too.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Yes i just tested my own ports successfully.

I have another problem now. when i log into my web page ######.myiomega.com it takes me to my router log in page.

also when im in my storage manager it says its downloading SSL certificates from TZO DNS but returns an error saying confirmation required - undefined - and i can either retry or cancel??

Thanks

You may need to recreate the certificates. When I tried port 80, I got the usual unsecured certificate error. You will just need to override this message and you should get in without any problems. When I attempted to access via port 443 I received not such error message.

With regards to your iomega address, try adding the port number at the end. i.e. https://######.myiomega.com:443 or ######.myiomega.com:80

Thanks

ok i think that the router set up page came up simple because i was using a laptop connected to the same LAN as the NAS.

I tried from my phone over 3G not wifi and ive got into the drive with absolutely no security whatsoever. i was under the impression that my files would be accesed via a username and password not open to the world to see!!!

obviously this is not acceptable so how do i set up the security side of things.

thanks for your support so far, youve been a life saver.

Thanks

No problem.

With regards to providing or denying access, you will need to configure the HTTP/S settings suitably for each share, at least that is what is required on the Netgear ReadyNAS. Play around with the settings to find what is appropriate to you. You may also find that you phone is signing in automatically. I didn't go past the first screen, but I know on my own NAS that I am normally asked for confirmation as soon as I access the IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.240/scubbie).

The default on some of the media shares is to allow people full access. You may wish to allow guests to only read the files, but not change the.

Thanks

is there a difference between the files found in the shares and the files on the cloud?

what i want to do is access my files from my work computer, i have no desire to access the files from ANY computer, just a select few.

Thanks

Ok, with my NAS I can specify different levels of access to specific folders for different people.

I don't know how the Iomega you have compares, but I can assign people to groups and share a folder for that particular group. Alternatively I can provide a specific level of access to one member of that group. I can also change the default level of a folder so that others may not even see it or perhaps have a basic level of access.

I use Dropbox, a Cloud files sharing product, to share files between my own computer and others. I can install the software on more than one computer and each will have equal access to my account. You could set up a specific Dropbox account for use at home and a 2nd for work. By copying files to be shared into a common shared folder, the moment that you get home you would have access to anything which your work computer had placed in the folder and vice versa.

I would assume that a cloud application on your NAS would be very similar to this.

One advantage that Dropbox has is that once the files are uploaded, the recipient downloads at their maximum connection speed. Another is that it maintains a tracking system so that if I should edit a file at the same time as someone else, it retains both versions by renaming the last. With a little work it is possible to find out the differences if you use something like "Track Changes".

You will need to check what is offered by your NAS is this respect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast