Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing sky wireless router to TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND makes no difference

This is a discussion on Changing sky wireless router to TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND makes no difference within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I connected TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND wireless router (300 Mbps ultimate wireless N Gigabyte router) to my original Sky Netgear DG934 G ...

Babaikram is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Changing sky wireless router to TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND makes no difference

I connected TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND wireless router (300 Mbps ultimate wireless N Gigabyte router) to my original Sky Netgear DG934 G router in order to boost wireless output to my iPad 3 and iPhone 4g. The connection went alright and I now have 2 wireless networks; one from the sky Netgear modem/router and the other from the TP-link. I computed the TP-link output to be exclusively 802.11n and I only connected my apple devices to the TP-Link wireless network. The TP-Link selects its channels automatically while the channel for the sky Netgear was set at 1 by Sky.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any improvement in the wireless out put of the TP-Link and my iPad still freezes while playing film previews on iTune store However , it seems viewing youtube movies has improved. Using speednet test, the upload speed of 0.49Mbps, download speed of 1.23Mbps and ping of 50ms have remained unchanged with Sky Netgear alone or with the TP-LINK. I have separated my landline from the modems to reduce interference as much as possible.

The IP address for the Sky Netgear is 192.168.0.1 . While for the TP -LINK is 192.168.1.1. Carrying out a TRACE test of the line starting from the Netgear showed 0.0% loss for the Netgear and about 70% loss for the TP-LINK. However if I carry out the TRACE test directly on the TP -LINK it shows 0.0% loss. My broadband connection is directly to a master phone socket via a filter. A member of the technical support staff from Sky has confirmed the broadband speeds mentioned above.

So what else can I do to boost the out put from the TP-link?
      Is fiddling with IP addresses of the TP-LINK to 192.168.0.250 going to make any difference?
      Or should I buy a now modem recommended for the TP-LINK (ADSL2+ modem TD-8616) to replace the sky Netgear. Would this make any difference and will it be compatible with a sky broadband access?
      How do I know whether my sky broadband is MER or not ?

I would appreciate your suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Changing sky wireless router to TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND makes no difference

Try following the instruction here to connect the TP. - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

Disable the wireless on the Sky router and use Inssider (link below) to find the best channel for the TP-Link.

It is possible your internet connection is the main problem, post your router stats, from the normal position and from the Test socket. (link below)

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The insider software showed the channels being used by my neighbours and mine overlapped with one of my neighbours, 4+8 and 1+5 respectively and those of other vary between 1 and 10. So I chose 13 as my new channel. My IP address was 94.2.135.76 and this was the reading by IP tracer: 1SP: Sky broadband, Host of my IP 5e02874c.bb.sky.com, IP address location Caerphilly, Cardiff in United Kingdom.

My broadband speed after changing the channels as read by the speed optimiser was 3Mbps and did not improve with the use of speed optimiser; Dr TCP did not make any difference either. My broadband speed at the speed net.com remains essentially unchanged: ping 55ms, download speed 1.43Mbps and upload speed 0.44Mbps. It is unlikely I will be able to obtain an engineer’s test socket in a while.

Many thanks for your help

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think the download speed is your main problem, especially with the iPad/iTunes store. Youtube uses more compression which requires a lot less bandwidth, so you might get a passable result. Until you can improve your download speed, you are not going to have a lot of success streaming high quality.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have now ordered TP Link TD-8840T modem to replace my Sky DG 934G modem. I will pair it with TP-Link WR1034ND wireless router. The previous users on Amazon said it was easy to connect and will automatically adjust itself upon in putting your broadband provider. Unfortunately, I have ordered it before I discovered the thread on 'What non-Sky router will give me the best speed' and I have carried out a traceroute which showed my supplier to be sky(broadcom)

However, I am still a bit apprehensive regarding completely doing away with sky modem/ wireless router.
      Has any sky user used this modem before?
      Any repercussions expected from sky?
      Is it likely to help with my download speed?

Your comments are eagerly awaited.