Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is it worth purchasing a new N router from Sky

This is a discussion on Is it worth purchasing a new N router from Sky within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My router current 18 month old Sky Sagem router is hard wired for anytime+, downloading to my PC, etc. Would ...

bwfc0907 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is it worth purchasing a new N router from Sky

My router current 18 month old Sky Sagem router is hard wired for anytime+, downloading to my PC, etc. Would a new Sky n router give me any better speed over my current router. I'm on ADSL unlimited.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Is it worth purchasing a new N router from Sky

If you are using WiFi to connect to the router and have WiFi n devices (i.e. Laptop, iPhone, Android phone, Tablet) that can benefit from the stronger and faster connection, then yes the Sagem 2504N is better than any of the other Sky routers. Any wired connections will perform identically.

For 35 it is good value too.

However it doesn't offer the fastest WiFi connection and many devices which have been sold won't connect at the full 144mbps that it can work at.

You may wish to consider a Wireless access point which works at 300mbps and perhaps works on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. Some areas have a large number of other routers nearby that can interfere with connection as the channels are busy. You may wish to consider something like the Netgear WN2000RPT or WN2500RP.

There may be an improvement in the connection speed, but this can vary.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.