Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bridge Netgear DG834GT with Sagem 2504, both unlocked

This is a discussion on Bridge Netgear DG834GT with Sagem 2504, both unlocked within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I was wondering if it would be possible and how to "bridge: the Netgear DG834GT (master router) with ...

metalrainman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Bridge Netgear DG834GT with Sagem 2504, both unlocked

Hi all,

I was wondering if it would be possible and how to "bridge: the Netgear DG834GT (master router) with the Sagem 2504 (slave router)?

I am using the 1.03.22 DGTeam 1018 firmware with the Netgear and the generic 3.24a4 firmware with the Sagem. I am using the Netgear as the "master router" because it seems to give a better signal than the Sagem, and doesn't run as hot - I intend to use the Sagem occasionally when I need wireless in another part of my house.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Kind regards,

Amit Mulji

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Bridge Netgear DG834GT with Sagem 2504, both unlocked

If you are intending to connect the routers with an ethernet cable or homeplugs, it is quite simple, just follow the instructions here-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

If you want to connect the routers wirelessly, with one a a remote access point, it is a little more complicated. If you want to do this, follow these instructions. I have done this using the Sagem as the Internet router and the Netgear as the remote.
      1. First connect the Sagem to a PC and open the settings. Click the Wireless link in the left column and make a note of the channel in use. Set the Network Authentication to NO and save. Click Management Settings>Backup in the left column. Back up the settings and save them to your Desktop.
      2. Now open the Backup, I used Programmers Notepad, but Wordpad should do. In the top line where it says bridgeRestrict= "disabled", change the disabled to enabled, make sure the “s are maintained. Further along the line where is says wdsMAC_0=” ”, put the LAN MAC of the Netgear router between the apostrophes. Save these settings and close the editor.
      3. Open the router settings and go again to Management, Settings>Restore and browse to where you saved the backup file on your PC. Click the Update Settings button. The router will reboot. You will not see any difference in the GUI but if you have done it correctly, the router will now be ready to receive WDS.
      4. Now plug the Netgear router into a PC and open the settings. Click the Wireless setting link on the left. You may have to click Allow in the yellow bar to open this page. Set the channel to the same one as the Sagem and select Disable under the Security options. Click Apply.
      5. Now click the Advanced Wireless Settings and tick Enable Wireless bridging and repeating. Select Wireless Point to Point Bridge and fill in the LAN Mac address of the Sagem router into the spaces.
      6. Scroll down the menu on the left and select Lan IP Setup. Change the IP address to 192.168.0.100. Un-tick the box for Use router as DHCP server. Click Apply.
      7. Unplug the Ethernet cable and reboot the PC. When it reboots, click the wireless icon in the tray and bring up the monitor. You should see the Sagem and Netgear Networks. Click the one for the Netgear and you should connect.
      8. When you have checked you can connect to the Internet, go back into both routers settings and enable WPA security, using the same password for both.
      9. You can now move the Netgear to where you want, checking when you do that you can still get connected.

I have not done this using the Netgear as the main router but it should be possible, you may have to select Wireless point to multi point bridge in #5 above. I think personally that the Netgear has better wireless performance so should be used as the remote router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

metalrainman (04-02-13)

metalrainman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Bridge Netgear DG834GT with Sagem 2504, both unlocked

Thanks for the tip - I got it working as intended. Originally, I had wanted the Netgear to be the master as it were (I am a bit concerned with the Sagem's overheating and only turn it on when I need too - this is what Sky have advised me as well), however, when I went to select 'Wireless point to multi point bridge' the page would refresh and 'Wireless Point to Point Bridge' would be selected instead. So I went with your suggestion of selecting 'Wireless Point to Point Bridge' but setting the Netgear to be the DHCP server and it seems to work. Thanks again for all the help!